• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 07, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed,
Thanks for the pictures on the snow blade. Turns out I won't be making one. I found one for the exact same model for a really good price.

Ya know, I got got curious after Matt mentioned things we don't normally think of about motors..so I looked around and picked this site at random
http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_determining_dc_motor/
After reading that, I'm just going to accept the fact that the starter goes round and round, keep my mouth shut for now, and grab a cold one. <font size="-2">Matt, I guess we doen't want to mention stepping motors here</font>
screwloose.gif
do we !?

Starter / Gens have a polarity that can be "set" with momentary jumpering. Perhaps that's why there's multiple posts involving "backards" units.

If the ammeter is reading upscale when it should be reading downscale, reversing the two wires at the back of the gauge will fix it.

Hi, I would like to run a snow thrower on my 100 which has a k301 motor is this a good idea and would a cc42 model work on my tractor thanks

John B.-

As I've said twice in as many days, and has also been said by a couple other people, the direction of rotation is determined by the way the field coils are wound and has nothing to do with the polarity of the battery.

John, I had the wires backward on my 149 when I bought it about five years ago now, the PO "restored" it, and I asked him why the amp meter was showing negative charge, he answered "because the kohlers spin backwards in comparison to the rest of the engines"....I chuckled and bit my tongue...like Rick B says "Never argue with an idiot,they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
biggrin.gif

Marlin, I converted my IH 300 Utility to 12 volts and have one of those little white things (a resistor). It's to reduce the voltage to the coil so you won't burn it up (and lights if you don't convert them to 12 volts). If it were connected to the starter, the current would burn it up.

I had a Cub Cadet starter/generator rebuilt a few years ago. When I got it back home, I couldn't get the Cub Cadet to start. After messing with it for a while, I found it was turning the engine backwards. I took it back and the gentlemen fixed it -- replaced the field coils as I recall. He said the name plate on the starter/generator indicated it should've been spinning in the direction he had orginally selected the field coil for.

Thanks Tom. I was offered a 42 cheap but don' t want to overburden the motor

Glen, seen some of your pics before, thats a great looking machine! I plan on doing very similar but going with red with the white strip. What is your grill and light surround made out of?

My girll is a stainless steel grid I cut with a plasma cutter, but it was too flat, looked right, but needed some depth, so for now its just layered balsa wood that I sealed and painted to match, and the nosecone insert is carved from a piece of 4" insulation foam sheet, and skinned with bondo and Xacto board of all things, painted and coated with several coats of matte clear to help protect it, so far, its done well. I plan to rebuild the front of the tractor in the spring including a correct height front grille to that of a real 1466 and making both the grille and the nosecone insert out of a more substantial material, hopefully each being only one piece to avoid tedious assembly and increase strength. Theres a voice in the back of my head telling me to repaint it red, but, I really do like my CAT yellow industrial, the next cub will be a wideframe geardrive made into either a 1206/56 or a 1066 black stripe, or, a model 100 if I can find a decent one, but these are all down the road projects.

Paul F. Thank You for helping explain that resistor and its function.
happy.gif

I'll have Angel take some pictures today of the snow. It is very wet and there is over and inch and a half on the ground right now... Off to work a little earlier. Hopefully it doesn't stick to the ground.

Marlin Homrighausen

SNOW , lol I was out for a scoot on my Nomad yesterday from 11 am to around 5.30 . The ride home was a little cool ,but had a great ride and 15 deg temps.today I will spend some time in the shop getting ready for snow,but I don`t think we will see any for another month.well I hope so.
later Don T

kraig
Glad you got your O lift rood, I could not believe what shipping would be. I will settle up because I owe you for the fender support rod for my Original. Thanks for that. have a great day !

I installed a battery in my 124 and noticed the ampmeter was showing discharge while the tractor was running. I checked voltage and had 14 volts while runing. IIRC all i did was totally discharge the battery and charge it with negative ground.

We have snow! It's snowing up here in Iowa. It's not sticking very much but at least it's a start. Better get the 682 ready for long days in the winter!
happy.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Glen M. Coleman (Gcoleman) on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 12:46 am:

My girll is a stainless steel grid I cut with a plasma cutter, but it was too flat, looked right, but needed some depth, so for now its just layered balsa wood that I sealed and painted to match, and the nosecone insert is carved from a piece of 4" insulation foam sheet, and skinned with bondo and Xacto board of all things, painted and coated with several coats of matte clear to help protect it, so far, its done well. I plan to rebuild the front of the tractor in the spring including a correct height front grille to that of a real 1466 and making both the grille and the nosecone insert out of a more substantial material, hopefully each being only one piece to avoid tedious assembly and increase strength. Theres a voice in the back of my head telling me to repaint it red, but, I really do like my CAT yellow industrial, the next cub will be a wideframe geardrive made into either a 1206/56 or a 1066 black stripe, or, a model 100 if I can find a decent one, but these are all down the road projects.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Glenn, the 1466 is the look I'm going after, but nothing wrong with yellow, makes it look very industrial. Heck I had to do a double take thought maybe there would be a backhoe on it or something!
Speaking of 1466... family has a couple of those, probably one of my favorite looks after the letter series, one reason I like the 1x8/9 series looks.

232375.jpg

And here is the one with the cab. Actually you can see the other one in the background too.
232376.jpg

We'll have to compare notes, or just when you go to build your 'more substantial' one just build two and I'll pay ya for it! I had some more ideas, I'll send ya an email later since this is getting off topic at least for the main forum.

Marlin-
Maybe somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll throw some thoughts out about the "little white thing" you mention...

I think it's called a "ballast resistor", and I think their normal application was from a mid-70 Chrysler vehicle. (Think Volare... Now THAT was a car!)

If the above is correct, I believe they are used as a resistor to run a "normal" automotive-coil in a Cub Cadet (which usually runs a coil with an internal-resistor) so that the points don't burn out. I had a Cub Cadet 100 here a couple years back with a "ballast resistor" wired up exactly as described above. It worked, but look a little bit...."back-woods" if you will.

If I'm wrong about everything above, then maybe it was a FLUX CAPACITOR and I'm mistaken.
baldguy.gif

Home of the Plow Special

Art you got it correct. I had few Dodges from a 69 340 4 speed trans Swinger to a Diplomat (80) , all had that white resistor .They can still be bought at most car part supply . We have Auto Choice and Nappa also. That comment brings backs few good times running my Car.

Have you got the 450 ready for that white s$it lol. ???
old.gif

this ones ready

Rockford, Il area at noon today

232381.jpg

232382.jpg

Back