• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello guys just got a pan seat in the mail today for my 73 so i put it on sat on it. go to start it and it cranks fires up blows smoke and then stalls? any one have a idea what can be wrong

David D.-

There is an exact location for that switch...it's in the 70/100 headlight installation manual, which is in Charlie's PDF collection somewhere...

Andrew...That's an easy one, it probably ran perfect before. Ya put the seat on up side down....
180569.gif

Kendell Ide (Kide)

the gas.
as a kid in the 70's i used to only run an engine out of gas at the end of a season.
a few years ago i had a weed wacker on wheels with a 12 H that would need a carb cleaning every month .
then my leaf vacuum stopped working.
after draining and cleaning gas tanks a few times thinking something had gotten into the tanks, a retired dodge mechanic said, it is the gas.
use stabilizer for the the gas left in the gas can, run everything out of gas each time you use it.
since then, no more problems.
I forgot what he said they did to the gas, i just remember he said it could no longer sit in a carb. not even overnight.
it may be just a CT thing, or an east coast thing, as i know they have different blends for different parts of the country, we even have a summer blend and a winter blend.

i think it was oxygenated gas that started causing problems.

next time i see the mechanic, i will ask him what the change was that they did to the gas.

Andrew Coffel; Sounds like a head gasket.
Frank; Gas in different areas is probally different because i use 93 octane non ethanol gas in my tractors and havent had a problem with gas up to 6 months old, and don't use a stabilizer. I do however add MMO to my can when i purchase gas. Just my 02c

Frank Snerd, I live here in So'eastern Mass and don't have the troubles with gas you say you're having. I don't use stabilizer either. My small engines sit for at least a week and sometimes two and they always seem to start and run well. I've got a small snowblower that still has last years gas in it and I just ran it this past weekend. A LOT of guys tell me how bad the gas is and I know it's true but I don't think it's as bad as going foul in a week or two.

Ahhhh The GAS topic again! ;-) I think the additive for east coast gas is MTBE or something similar, can't remember what that actually stands for. Most of the mid-west gets ethanol, a 10% blend.
Certain other heavily populated areas like Milwaukee & Chicago also get the other additive. Lots of my old co-workers from Milw. drove out into the country to buy gas for their motorcycles & collector cars. If they knew the right stations to buy from they could have even got leaded premium but they would have had to pump it into cans, can't pump directly into licensed vehicles!

Latest posts

Back