• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 02, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbelliveau

displayname
Jeff Belliveau
Mike Frade.
Scrolling the posts from the 24th, you were talking about internal vs external resistor coils.
While I was troubleshooting my electrical on the 1650 K341 I suspected a bad coil/condenser due do intermittent loss of spark. Looked around my shop and found some spare coils, grabbed one and noted that it indicate "USE external" resistor. Didn't pay much attention to it and mounted it on and voila the miss was gone with a good clean spark.
All that being said, I'm still concerned now over your post and burning things up. You mentioned testing continuity to verify, can you elaborate on what/where to check continuity? I have several other coils but no markings to tell me if they are internal or external resistor.

Mike Frade, found what I was looking for.....

Frank A thanks for the schematic and coil specs.
I performed the test on several here including the current one on my engine, results show on the 2 other spare coils having 12Kohms to tower however only reading 2.9-3.2 ohms across +/-. Your sheet indicated 4-8 across +/-, Should I infer that to mean both of the spare coils I have are not worth using?

If you've got a coil that says "use external resistor" you've probably got a 6v coil.

The resistance is likely 1.5ohm across the primary (+ to - terminals on the coil) instead of 3 ohms like you'd have for a real 12v coil. You should add a 1.5ohm resistor to the circuit or you'll have too much current flowing through your points (and coil) and it will burn them (and itself) up more quickly since they are only designed for a smaller amount of break current (points) and a lower voltage (coil).

It'll give you a nice hot spark though. That's one of the reasons you'd use one. You can rig up the ignition to bypass the ballast resistor when starting to get a hotter spark. Then when it's running, the ballast resistor kicks in and drops the voltage at the coil down to 6VDC where it's designed to run.

Hmmm, Jeff. I guess I'll have to answer your question with another one: Suppose the lower resistance readings mean that that those coils don't have an internal resistor?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Chris, could it be possible the points rod is sticking?

David R,
The coil indicates 12v on outside, use external resistor. 1.1ohms +/- and 12kohms to tower...
Ive removed it from the engine and replaced with old yeller.... showed 3.9ohms +/-, and 9Kohms to tower. Runs the same and hopefully nothing will burn up....
When I had the 'use external res' on the machine the points really lit up and now I know why....
a_blink2.gif

Jeff -
That sounds about right.
The labeling on the outside it just means that it's intended for 12v applications if you use an external resistor.

With only 1.1 ohms of resistance, you're putting dang near 12 amps of current through that circuit (at ~13 volts). That's a lot. Not surprised you had a hot spark! The system is designed to run at around 2-5 amps.

Now continuing on my lurching issue.....
I reviewed the FAQ's number 14 and 33. Trunion had very minor wear and does not catch, I removed plate and cleaned/freed up movement and greased it up really well and when reassembled it work very well for free movement, lurching improved slightly but still feel there is too much.
I reviewed most all of the FAQs'. Is there another issue such as stuck pressure relief valves that would cause lurching? again this thing sat for maybe 10yrs or more, (when the previous owner broke a connecting rod). Aside from that, the springs?

Waiting on the 149 fenders at the painter, so I figured I
d pit tis POS 128 on the table to see just what the heck this thing was all about

Anyone have an idea what this thing is?? The model number is all rubbed off the blower housing.
t appears to be a mini-AQS engine of some sort.

Best part of the deal was the extra lever sticking up out of the tunnel cover

319659.jpg

319660.jpg

319661.jpg

319662.jpg

319663.jpg

David S,

Looks like an 8 hp Kohler K181 out of a John Deere. I think Deere had the muffler mounted on the side like that on one of their model series but have never really paid much attention to those Icky Green Tractors so could be wrong on that part, but the engine sure looks like a K181.

David, it also looks like it might have an extended crank, perhaps it's a K181 out of a model 86 with a JD muffler.
dunno.gif
Except that the 86 had an S/G. Perhaps it's out of a model 800?

Kraig - ref early posts:
Pretty close to the first, but I see I was over being intimidated by Brian by then (IIRC, I got the usual newby smackdown for something I asked about a mower deck on one of my first posts).
Funny you should dig up the well driving pic, the long suffering neighbor and I may be driving another well this summer in the same place. I should get new trunnion springs on the hydro first, though - the rig likes smooooth engagement.

The 128's frame has been butchered to make it fit as you can see in the last picture. Easy fix w/the Lincoln.

The replacement is a 301A spec 4784d, ser #6153986, whatever that may have been from. I have been able to track down the year from the ser #, 1974, that at least puts it in the correct year range.

But the dang thing has a fuel pump on it in place of the little cover beneath the crankcase breather and a PO plopped a yellow Cub gas tank on top of it as well.

It also has a cub (yellow) deep oil pan plus a yellow S/G pulley and drive drive cup. The rest of the engine tins are a dark blue. almost teal green color. What may this thing have been in originally?

Tear down is in progress, gonna see if it has the balance gears and what shape the head and piston is in. If the piston looks clean and tight, I may just leave as is and button it back up.

Looks like a KEEPER!!
just a thin layer of carbon and .010 O/S.
Like I said last summer when I acquired this thing...
Looks like I got my $75 worth, huh??

319670.jpg

319671.jpg

319672.jpg

David S I’d say you’ve gotten your money’s worth there at least you’ve got the start to good looking 128,very cool with the creeper and all

Faded JD green or Ford LGT.......but for all we know it could have come off of a cement mixer or trash pump......

While digging through the archives I found this:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Bryan D. McMeen - C.C. 1450 in Barrington, IL (Bmcmeen) on Monday, June 7, 1999 - 12:52 pm:

Kraig -

If you could write a web page with all those pictures for us... ;-)

Seriously, let's chat via e-mail - there's certainly interest in folks "collecting" the pictures. Since you're already saving them, if we could get you to zip 'em up and send 'em to me, I can put the zips in a spot on this server for folks to download.

Of course, a lot of context will be lost, but hey, until they fix this software it's a lot better than what we've got.

Hey Bob - what kind of title can we bestow on Kraig if he agrees?

BTW, just what the heck is my title ;-) <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I think I'm getting old...I am approaching, or have passed, being a member of this forum longer than I haven't been in my life. I have learned so much and even owe my employment to another member of this forum
happy.gif
Here's to the next 20 years...
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back