• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 22, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For these small engines, like the Kohler single cylinder K series, other than for noise suppression, is a muffler even necessary?

I noticed on the earlier pics of the model 100’s, they have what I call a shower head muffler vs a tubular muffler like on my 109 or 126. I know those are louder, but do they serve any real function other than noise suppression? Is there some back pressure spec a muffler should be measured against?

Update on the '68 124 k301 that was running for 30 minutes and then shutting down... original post was a few days ago.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. The problem was either the coil or the condenser. If I had a little more time and patience (I have twin boys who are 23 months old) I would have replaced the condenser, checked, then replaced the coil. My apologies in advance to anybody who is reading this in the future looking for a definite answer. I'm saving the old coil as potentially still working. I don't know what the problem with it last night was, but it didn't require nearly the choke at initial start-up today. I let it run for about an hour and a half at medium-low throttle, and it was still running strong when I pulled it back into the garage.

The carb is still leaking air at where it mounts to the engine. My homemade (sorry) gasket wasn't as good as I thought. I have a legit one coming in the mail. It's also leaking a little gas from the bowl, so I have a rebuild kit for the old 235058 coming in the mail, too. We figured it wouldn't be worth messing with the carb settings until I have it sealed up. In the meantime, it seems to be running well enough to get done what I need to get done. I know it's important to seal the air intake so it's pulling through the filter media.

On that note, is there a part # for a seal or gasket that goes between the air filter plate and the carb? I'm coming up empty.

Tim Z.
Sponsor pages are good for reference as well as buying stuff, Also the parts Look up at the top of the page works well too.
284795.jpg

Kohler Air Cleaner to Carburetor gasket PN/ IH-385172-R1 USE KH-275341

Tim Zingleman

So what your saying is when I get all the little stuff done. I know I will have a great tractor. We all knew that. A day will come where you will be dreaming of seat time. Come on Summer !

sorry.gif

"Sponsor pages are good for reference as well as buying stuff."
TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPAKE.
happy.gif

DT, I guess your relationship with your tractor is like any other... if you love it, you love it quirks and all. I'm just happy to get it running again. We have a lot of work to do.

Sorry about the part # requests. I have service manuals for both the 124 and k301, but somehow I missed the gasket. I only seemed to see blow-ups of the carb or air cleaner assys, but not the part that seals the two together. I habitually turn to Google for research, but I'll check out the sponsor sites for research, too. I have used sponsor sites to purchase parts before, but I will put some time into learning how to use them to figure out proper part #'s. I think I would have done a lot better if I noticed it's called an "air cleaner" and not an "air filter housing" or something along those lines.

I'll be watching the sandbox for computer problems to pay this forward. Or you can email me.

Tim Z

that is what is so great about this site .You start reading about theses cubs and well , they kind a grow on you and there numbers tend to increase .Before you know it we could say you got it ( yellow fever ) has got you ! Next thing you know more that you want to pass the info on. Enjoy your Cub ; I enjoy all mine .
ihrotate.gif

I am looking for the part # of the bearings in the Ross stearing gear on a IH mod.102 and a dealer where I can get them

Latest posts

Back