• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 22, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzingleman

displayname
Tim Zingleman
Update on the 1968 124 with the k301 engine, running for 30 minutes and then dying... coil or condenser probable cause.

I have replaced the coil with an internal-resistor coil from a '68 VW. I got an (admittedly sketch) condenser from Napa. I might give up the part number if everything doesn't blow up on me. I also got a new spark plug wire, and new plugs a little while ago. I have new (used) points in a box from the previous owner, but haven't used them yet. I replaced it all (minus points) tonight, and cranked it up.

It ran fine at first on choke. Before, it would start with choke on, and then want the choke off within 10 seconds or so. Now, it seems to want choke for 5 minutes or so. After that, it seemed to run fine with the choke open and the throttle normal -- with a slight reduction in throttle response noted. If the wife ever thinks this is some kind of dog-whistle sex talk, I'm screwed.

Tomorrow I'll do the true test... to see if it runs longer than 30 minutes without giving me problems. It was 10pm tonight, and I wouldn't have been running it at all if the neighbors weren't partying it up.

Tim Z

I think you have a gas issue. I would clean the carb . hold on the choke makes a cub run rich or helps it keep running if the carb is dirty and needs gas.

Tim Z,
I agree with Don that it is a carb issue now. But not that it needs to be cleaned, probably just adjusted. A new good ignition always requires a readjust to account for the new power.

Harry B - definitely watching the wiring harness on the 126. When I replaced the engine last year, I was on the lookout for crumbling wiring too. If I keep this tractor long term, I might invest in a new wiring harness. If I keep the tractor what I have in mind is pulling the engine again and doing clutch overhaul and a decent paint on the whole tractor.

One thing about this 126 is it's one of the most bumpy garden tractors I've ever owned. Not sure why, but more noticeable than my 109 and especially the 1650. Maybe my new seat will help this. Don't know if there were any geometry changes to the seat springs between the NF and WF tractors, but I'll look there too as I have a spare seat spring assy from my parts 1250 I could swap-in.

John N - Very nice looking 1650!!!!!!!

Tim Z - sounds like a gas issue to me too.

Quick question - 48 inch deck, 482U1116 on my 126. I've got some noisy spindles. It appears the center pulley has a water pump bearing and the two outer pullys - serviceable/replaceable roller bearings? Before I tear into this deck to troubleshoot, any words of caution or wisdom I should be mindful about? I've got a left over deck from my parts 122 and also a 48 inch deck from a 149, both of which have their own issues. Don't know if these can be parts decks for the deck on the 126. Also got a surplus of mule drives and may consider configuring one of them (if possible) to run a 44A deck or maybe even a 50A deck on the 126.

Thanks. My brother is on his way over to help me with the deck on the green tractor, and he has a good sense of direction when it comes to adjusting carbs. I update you guys later on.

John I'm not a quiet line guy but that is a nice 1650.

Tim like I said few days ago, I would really check make sure your kohler is getting its gas, I had same problem with mine. It would run for about 5-10'minutes then quite so I thought for sure it was not filter. Eventually I changed it and that fixed problem. Good luck, keep us posted

Thought I would post some pics of a 100 that my friend just picked up. He knows that I like the style of 100's, ok ok I really luuuuv,
drool.gif
anyhow please remember that every cub has it's beauty but not everyone see's it, tks Charlie,

284776.jpg

284777.jpg

284778.jpg

284779.jpg

Please feel free to point out any imperfections. I have a feeling it will probably end up in my shed because he already owns a near perfect 100, with every bell and whistle you can get on one of these tractors.

The 100 looks to me like it needs nothing more than a good power washer.

Joel Goodine

I just looked at my profile picture and see 6060 posts. I post to much lol. I will be up your way in July traveling to ONT ( Trenton ) and will drop in, we will over night at friends in Moncton . Here is my 100 .

284782.jpg

Tim Z:
The timing (1/2 hour before it quits)is a little suspicious - a typical carb problem is not usually intermittent - however- a plugged filter or (I'm surprised it hasn't already been asked) a plugged vent on the gas cap)can lead to your symptoms.

A little farther afield, but within the realm, is that the valves (usually the exhaust) has recessed to the point that there is zero clearance between the valve stem and lifter when cold ... warm it up and with stem expansion the valve won't seat (yup, BTDTOTTSNAR myself)..

Coil problems really manifest themselves as you describe, too and it's not unusual to have multiple problems, like dirty carb and bad coil - these ain't spring chickens ya know....

Good luck, you'll find it - we all have faith in ya!!

Does anyone see a problem with running a 149 muffler on my 169 for short periods of no work load?

Gerry someone did mention his gas cap, which was my first thought when he proposed the issue

Jeff B

With earplugs you won't even know the difference. Your neighbors might, but 'eh.
1AA_dance2.gif

Yard Harley, is that what you guys are telling me

There is a lot of 'clogged' Gas Vent issues on many small engine equipment thees days. I 2nd Gerry Ide thought on that. Takes 30 minutes for the gas tank to create too much of a suction for the gas to get drawn into the Carb Bowl.
Run it, when it stalls at about 30 minutes , open the gas cap and listen for the Vacuum. OR run it with the cap loose for 30+ minutes and see if problem goes away

I was quite surprised, when I took a pick and popped out the plastic liner under the fuel tank gas cap. There was a lot of grass and dirt between the two surfaces. Better than continually clearing the vent hole.

Latest posts

Back