• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 29, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to draw from the vast knowledge of those smarter than me. Which is most of you. I am wanting to repower a kid hauler I bought and use a K301 coupled to a 1250 rearend. It has a green thing K181 and 110 manual transaxle. Engine ok but 2nd and 3rd are out. Besides Hydro's rule!!!!!!!!!

Because the engine sits sidways now to connect the belts up, it has a short space. For the cub parts I need to reduce the length of the drive shaft to the least possible length. Has anyone tried to shorten the drive shaft? How short? What do I need to look out for? This is a little off topic but I am using cub parts as I know they can haul a load and a half.

Thanks
Dave Burnham

WYATT - Coils are kinda like voltage regulators, Like You said they don't like heat or vibration. My 72 used to kill a voltage regulator about every two years until I moved it from the grill top back under the frame over the transmission and final drive housing. And this one has lasted 10 yrs! I vote for putting it on the two studs over the grass screen on the flywheel. The gas tank bracket normally bolts to them.

Wyatt -

I know it kinda reads that way, but that's not what I meant. Just meant that you guys could quit sending the rain over here
lol.gif

Charlie/Wyatt -

I know that Dr Forbes on the weather channel was all excited about 100 or so tornados possibly coming out of the system. Last I heard was 66, but I don't know where.

Oh well, off to see if there's any Memorial Day deals at Houtz's
biggrin.gif

<font size="-2">Sigh - what is it with lazy kids these days? They just fling the paper in the driveway despite there being a nice brand new BOX for them to put it in...</font>

Wow, I managed to get in some seat time between storms! Tilled a neighbor's garden yesterday. To work in his compost, I went a couple of inches deeper than he had been doing with a rented tiller every year, so I found some of his rock stash, but they weren't too bad.
His layout is kind of a pain. He has the entire area bordered with 4x4s set flush with the level of his yard. I'm not sure why. The south end is bordered by a raised area (another stack of 4x4s) filled with wood chips for a kid's swing set, the south had rhubarb already growing, the east is bordered by a neighbor's immaculate lawn. I made passes around the perimeter, a couple of passes near the rhubarb,then spent lots of time going in short little passes trying to avoid hitting stuff. Took about three times as long as it should have. Hope he likes it. I want to have him mow and water the garden for me when we'll be gone later this summer.
Wanted to do another today, but it started raining around 7:00, and now it just looks like a mud bog. The rain has stopped, but there's so much clay in the soil that it will take forever to drain.
Good luck to all of you along the rivers and in the low areas. When I used to teach along the Illinois and Sangamon Rivers, that was always a springtime worry. Mother Nature can be equally beautiful or terrifying. Be careful.

Bryan,
Our paper (Tribune)is always delivered in a double plastic wrap if there's a chance of rain. It is then placed in the lowest area along the shoulder of the driveway and street, where the runoff goes from the parking lot of the elementary school across the street. Glad I picked it up around 6 this morning.

Thanks Digger, it probably wasn't as bad as it looked, I'm just to used to looking at plugs from 2-strokes. :p

My pickup makes them a nice tan color, so when I saw white (which it could have been greyish white) I was a little worried.

The reason I had the plug out is I was finishing up mowing and the thing just stopped. No fire, just sat there dead. I went down home to get some tools, go back and low and behold it started up. I think I smell a dieing coil!

I STFW & STFF...but I can't find the little chart showing the Throttle & Choke shaft rebuild kits..

Can you help me out?

Well loading up the smoke in a few minutes for the mounting of the Cat "O", maybe even a parade tommorrow. Got the 3' X5" IH flag to wave.

Bryan,
I'll be calling you on the details about Wauconda.

WYATT - A couple of big aviation cable clamps big enough to go around the coil slipped over the two 1/4" studs should secure the coil fine. Use the ones with the rubber lining, or if Your cheap like me a piece of old inner tube. I would suspect Your employer has hyd. tube or hose clamps that could work as well.
Bad weekend so far. After 251,000 miles I figured it was time to replace the frt brake pads in the truck. Dealer gave Me the wrong ones! Service manual says to replace at 1/32" lining left. One side of the left wheel still had 3/8" and the other just over 1/8". New was probably close to 1/2" Pads were identicle so I swapped positions on them for a week till I can get the right pads. I spent over $250 on parts yesterday and I think I'm taking all but $50-$60 worth back!
Anybody ever thought of building a "HOVER CRAFT CUB CADET" for mowing in REALLY wet conditions?

Hey Dennis- That's a sickle-bar hangin' out the side of a flatbottom jon-boat. A pair of electric trolling motors work best!

Hey Wyatt- how much water you sending me? current's getttin' swift down here- had the big boat out during a lull yesterday, and I think I had the tach up to 1100rpm before making headway.

Bryan- it just keeps coming, and there's another wave supposedly coming through in another hour or two, heading your way. When all's said-and-done, you'll get plenty of seat-time mowing. In the meantime, I'll be in DC (again), whilst my yard turns into a prairie, then a jungle. I'll hafta kill the wildebeeste and scare off the gazelles before taking the zeeter out for a spin...

I'm converting the former 129+ to what would be the equivalent of a 1659. This would be basically a 169 in a QL frame with the cross-braced sub-frame for the engine to soak up some of the shake.

I moved the tranny today and I'm hooking up the brakes now. What I'm finding is that the brake rod is a different length and the later QL frames don't use the short return spring & bracket to keep the clutch/brake pedal in the "UP" position. Instead, it uses a long return spring and for the life of me, I can't remember how that portion goes together.

Would one of you folks be so kind as to post a pic of the innards of a newer QL so that I can see where I need to connect this long spring?
Assy drgs would be welcome, too.

Thanks in advance.
Keith

Thanks Charlie...I was cleaning up the 1450 carb and I broke off a screw in the choke shaft...and I drilled it crooked...and I still can't get the screw out...Lawn shop said I need to order a new carb @ $85

Keith - Don't have a photo, but it goes from the linkage from brake shaft to brake arm, and the other end goes to the front left support of the tranny, on the inside of the frame....the little 'S' shaped deal..

Keith
Early Quietlines still had the tab welded on right side for the short spring.

19159.jpg

Later Quietlines had it on left side. Here is spring hook up on front clevis, this one hooked on right side of clevis, I normally hook on the left side of clevis, probably doesn't matter though, still get a good connection.

19160.jpg

Rear of spring hooks up to bracket holding transmission.

19161.jpg

Latest posts

Back