• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 23, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn it!~ Placed a simple order with one of our sponsors yesterday and thought -- Ok now, take some time off and enjoy the spring time, Memorial day activities.
You know picnic, fishing, parades and so forth. I figured no way would these parts arrive before Tuesday at the soonest.
But no, they are here today -- 24 hours later, so tomorrow back to the shed where I'm trying to restore-- no, no the more accurate description is Revive a 127.
Not to mention any names, but I'll just say from one Veteran to another -- Thanks Charlie
But actually I'll just set the stuff down and close the door for a few days.

More goings-on with the 126 today.

Found some screws to fasten the air filter face plate to the carb and finish off the air filter assembly install. Also finished bolting on the remainder of grill to frame bolts and installed the hood.

Put a new mule drive belt on and attached the deck:

258732.jpg

Then set out to mow some tall/thick grass.

258733.jpg

PTO worked great - no belt slippage that I could tell. The 126 - with 48 inch deck plowed through this grass (in 1st gear) with no problems. It didn't seem like the motor was overly loaded at all. The deck spindles were somewhat noisy. Don't see replacing them this Summer - might be a winter project. Also had to replace the 7 inch deck wheels, but had a set on hand.

Here is the finished mowing - lots of clippings!

258734.jpg

The only problem I had was the throttle wants to back off full throttle pretty easily. I had to hold it most of the time while mowing. Any ideas as to how to tighten it up?

greenthumb.gif

Got the newest addition to the herd fired up tonight - the 169 runs pretty good after some minor adjustments and the new head gasket. Found I need a few small things for it - but otherwise she's a keeper for my first wide framer. Anyone know how to wire up the hour meter on one of thse things? I assume at least one wire goes to the coil but haven't a clue on the other. So off I go for looking for the missing/broken parts!

I have a question about the idle on a K-301. My 1250 Nightmare idles quite nicely when cold. It starts very well, nearly without choke when cold and idles at a reasonable speed. After running the engine at about 3/4 throttle on a 1.5 mile hike, the engine doesn't idle down, but rather wants to run at about 1/3 throttle at idle with a lot of push on the throttle lever before a significant engine speed is noticed. I believe the carburetor is set correctly, according to the owner's manual.

How does one fix this?

Brian. Sounds like the governor needs to be reset. Check out the FAQ above for instructions.

John B.: Hour meter wiring -- (+) wire to (+) on coil, (-) wire to ground.
happy.gif

Bill Jamison

There is a screw on the throttle that can be tightened so the throttle will stay where you put it. You have to get at it under your dash panel from under the hood . Can take some time to do that BTDT,

Bill, Don,

Adding a jamb nut to the back side of the throttle screw can help "hold" the friction adjustment. BTDTBTTS.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Bill, That's a nice looking 126. Glad you got it running. Just a FYI on the grill screen. It is held on by springs, that sometimes can be sob's to get on.

Brian W - I experienced exactly the same thing as you describe with your throttle. I don't know if it's the Governor or what exactly causes the idle to remain high after you've run the engine for while. My suggestion/solution was to work with it the other way around. Basically, once your engine is hot, then set the idle where you want it (about 1200rpm worked for me on 1450 and 1650 even tho the IH service manual calls out 1500 for a Kohler AQS in a Quiet Line). If you set it lower I think you'll see/feel more shaking. When you do this you probably won't be able to pull the throttle control back down to full idle after a cold start, but you can just leave it up a little bit until she's all hot.

Rick B and Frank - Are you certain one wire from the hour meter goes to the coil on a 169? I know one goes to ground right down on the screw holding the little side panel to the frame, and I know the coil is real close there so it could work that way, but it just seems to me the IH routing was different. I don't see it called out in the wiring diagram in the Service Manual - maybe it's a mystery?

Frank C. I think mine, on this parts 125, is a little more "permanentasized" than yours!!
...or should that be "permenta-siezed"??
At least a little more "macho"

Dave S.
258745.jpg

258746.jpg

Well, another Original followed me home this week. My daughters want me to paint this one pink for them.
err.gif

258768.jpg

258769.jpg

You could (probably should) do that, but if you don't want to you could give them the old "OK, but let's dye the dog first to make sure we get the right shade" comment.
happy.gif
beerchug.gif

John B. - are you still planning to paint the new 169 pink for you? Guess you would have a matching pair - always a first I guess.

This doesn't fit in the Idioms thread but I think I'll throw it in here:
"When I works I works hard. When I sits I sits loose. When I thinks, I goes to sleep".
It's miserably cold and wet, but it's going to be a CubHouse weekend.
beerchug.gif
258779.gif
258780.gif

beerchug.gif
For Gerry, I'll post this here; I put the old original muffler on the K341 and from what experience I've had with this project I have to believe that back pressure does make a difference when tuning these old Kohlers. My story (and I'm not discounting a carburetion problem):
Tuning carb with no muffler, tuning with exhaust tube attached, tuning carb with muffler on, 3 different stories.
That said, tomorrow I'm going to try to post a video with sound because that sucker will sit there and throb at idle. It's not an old John Deere throb, it's its own, special throb.
Monday we ride!
happy.gif

Melody: If any of that snow comes over here I'll find a way to get it back to you. (Looking for ways to put hours on K341).
happy.gif
happy.gif

Maybe the one that's least likely to make the trip and you have all day tomorrow (hopefully) to get it ready?
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back