• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 10, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rneubauer

displayname
Rob Neubauer
What is the tread size and pitch of those tunnel cover screws/bolts found on the 82 series? I think the wideframe used them as well. I just looked it up using the parts lookup and it is a 12 x 3/8 self tapping screw they want over two dollars each for them. I guess supply and demand. No local hardware store in the area has #12 screws. 8-23 and 10-32 but not #12. Charlie I think CC specialties should offer them in bulk packages of 10!!! Send me the first package and I will field test them for you. I will check the fit, the finish, and how easy it is for me to lose them!!!

John L.-

1/4" roll pins are designed to be a tight fit for a 1/4" hole. I believe the same goes for most if not all of the different sizes.

Just a .02 worth for the evening.

John L.
1/4" spriol pin= 1/4" hole.

On drilling tool steel, Carbide would be my first choice, after that cobalt. And not the cheap hardware store crap either, LOL

Ok, I'm going to see if I can make the jig in the lathe at work, then I should be able finish the rest at my house! Thanks again, I'll keep posted!

317033.jpg

Attachments

• 317033.jpg
    317033.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 317033.jpg
    317033.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 116
John L.-

That part number is for annealed 4140, which is not very hard at all. Sharp HSS bits will drill it just fine. Use cutting oil and set your drill press to the appropriate speed.

Grade 8 bolts (much harder than annealed 4140) can be drilled and machined with HSS tooling. Not sure why everybody's making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Also, the 82 series used two flex discs on either end. I can't figure out what Mike is worrying about, as the driveshaft has a spherical bearing to pilot each end, from the factory, and you aren't changing that.

Mike-

I don't understand your micrometer comment...I have made quite a few driveshafts and have yet to need a micrometer to make one
confused.gif

Attachments

• confused.gif
    confused.gif
    473 bytes · Views: 127
Matt, my questions and comments about the rag joint with John was wondering how they were going to stay centered. As you know, If there is nothing but the rubber holding them centered, they will fail quickly.

The micrometer question was simply that. I was curious if he had a micrometer or a set of calipers. That's all. I was wondering how precise he was able to measure.

Nine-eleven....never forget,never forgive..God Bless the United States of America!!!Land of the free and home of the brave...and the coolest little tractors on the planet

Matt G- Hello and thank you for your advice, and background on the 4140 tool steel I have. Its great to have you here ( not trying to flatter )!My trade is tool and die stuff, so I'm pretty good at measurement and detail. Needless to say, after looking again, I have every thing needed to make a nice 1/4" jig at my place of employment! This new jig should be easily set up at home, and then I can try my hand at centering holes in rod.

Again, thank you for the conformation. I simply wanted what I knew some of the 82 Series had for a drive shaft, being four flex joints total for the "new custom" drive shaft going in my 1450 Quiet Line!

Thanks again all!

Mike F- Thank you for your continued help and support of the forum and enthusiasts like me! I have a 6" Sharps And Brown set of calipers only that will help to measure out the new drive shaft for my 1450.

Okay John, sounds like you're good to go!
Of course you know we'll need pics of the setup when completed!!!
err.gif

ps.. did you mean Brown and Sharpe? LOL..

Attachments

• err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 127
Just in case you guys with creepers want to know how to never have to add oil to your creepers again, Here ya go!
317045.jpg

Attachments

• 317045.jpg
    317045.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 317045.jpg
    317045.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 138
He should pull the vent and add a zerk!

Eeeeewwwww!

Looks like it came from the bottom of a lake!
jawdrop.gif

Attachments

• jawdrop.gif
    jawdrop.gif
    995 bytes · Views: 118
Charlie P. Is there anything inside that is salvageable? Also... if I may ask... What ever happened to the 125 with hydraulic lift that you acquired a while back?

Man that creeper looks like the clogged innards of a sewer pipe,why would someone pack it with axle grease????long term storage for a future project?or did the P/O use the fubar method for maintenance?

That 125 is setting in the cold storage after it tilled 3 gardens for the neighbors, a small patch for the wife's rhubarb, and chewed up a weed patch out back.
It's just setting there waiting for it's next job, LOL

Dunno on the creeper, I've not started digging the gunk out yet.

Latest posts

Back