• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 20, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jclazar

I have a IH Cub Cadet model 1450, which happened to be an early model. I'm only "thinking" about joining in a plow day activity, and thus preparing my garden tractor the best I can.

I have a particular interest in the Firestone 23 x 10.5 x 12 Flotation ag rear tire. I have 10.5 rear rims and would like more opinions about how the tire I just described will preform on my 1450 during plow day activity.

I just might pull the trigger on purchasing the new set shortly, and really have my heart set on them because they really make the garden tractor look even more serious! Well, thank you for reading. Have a good one!

John

John L--these little tractors look so cool with a set of AG's on the rear rims and a set of skinny Tri ribs or fat V61's on the front rims. I don't have any experience with the Firestone AG's but I'm definitely gonna get a set someday for one of my Cubs. However, we have multiple guys that run these or have run them in the past. Hopefully they will weigh in on it soon. I do have three different brands and not only do they look cool but they work well...

Good Luck!!

Ok Joe, spill the beans on that attachment! You make that or you buy it from someone like that? It must to a heck of a job preping a seed bed. Do the small caster wheels not dig into the fresh soil? Does it leave many clumps behind or does it chew up the ground pretty fine?

Really cool looking though either way!

Regarding synthetic oil,does MTD or any other manufacturer of lawn equipment recommend synthetic oil in there engines?I have used 30wt low ash for thirty some years and have never thrown a rod or burned a piston.I also have never run any of my engines wot to mow or rototill.I was once told here on forum that the reason my 1450 vibrated was because I only ran it @ half to 3/4 throttle.The vibration was cured with correct mounting.Anyway,some of my thoughts.
Dan

Geez, I missed out on the Great Oil Debate, No. IV

No body mentioned what came to us from an old timer back in the early forum days BGC "oils oil, somes better than NONE"

Actually since I only have a trailer queen these days it's hard to keep up on the effects. I'm pretty certain many of the OEM's are recommending Synthetic, but I will say for my money I'd certainly lean towards David Kirk's testing and recommendations.

Dan M - I don't know if I was a commenter back when you had the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle vibration issue, and changing your mounts. What I can say is the original engine in your 1450 would not have balance gears and in my long use experience with my original 1450 it was prone to excessive vibration/shaking in the area of 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I also changed the Iso-mounts and snubbers, and although it was alot better there was still an area in the throttle between 1/2 to full where it would really still shake alot. I used WOT for best performance and I believe it more or less "masked" the vibration/shaking. If you don't have much vibration/shaking at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle I tend to believe you have found more of a sweet spot where it less noticeable. I know there was a spot close to the idle range I used (which I think was about 1200) that seemed to have minimal shaking, but from there up it would be more and more until about 3/4 where it seemed to start masking it. I think every engine is going to be a little different due to all the things that scientifically effect vibration/shaking, and obviuosly some will be better than others. Right now my 169 still has the balance gears, and it has some vibration but it sure seems to me to be awhole lot less than what my 1450 did, but that's not the result of Iso-mounts versus hard mounting. It's got to be at least in part due to the balance gears and the rebuild components in my 169. And I've seen a few 1650s but never really used them. They certainly seemed to shake more than a 1450, but were also masked alot at WOT.

JIM P. - I run 15W-40 Rotella in my Onan in the 982. I switched ALL my engines, cars, trucks, FARMALL M & Super H, all my Cubbies, to Rotella back in 1996 when I bought my F250 with IH diesel engine in it. I seriously considered buying Rotella in 55 gal drums, but the 6 gallon cases were easier to handle.

I do use Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in my K321 because it's "cooling challenged" being a small flywheel engine dropped into a narrow frame. That said, 3 yrs ago I mowed the front yard one afternoon when it was 90+ degrees out at less than full throttle and no problems. The only way I can really load that engine is when mowing foot tall grass. That afternoon I was maybe cutting an inch off the tops of a few blades of grass.

IMO, It's all about KNOWING how much load your really putting on your engine. Just because you're running wide open at 3600 rpm or whatever has NO bearing on how much HP your engine is really making which directly effects how HOT your engine runs... not how fast it's running.

There's been HP & torque charts posted here for all the Kohler K-series engines, and the Onan & B&S engines IH used in CC's, Running your CC's engine at slightly more than the torque peak RPM saves a LOT of wear & tear and gas too. But as load increases towards full load, you should increase RPM accordingly.

Mornin' all,
Here is a pic of one of my old Brinly decals.
I should have the new ones in a few days.
buttrock.gif

290256.jpg

BUMP for John Lazar's previous question on Firestone Flotation ag rear tires for his 1450. I'm researching replacement tires for my 71, myself, so any tire info would be great on either ags or turfs.

I will toss an enthusiastic vote towards the Firestone 23 ags! I've had them (used and new) on various tractors and brands over my 25 years of tractor using and Pulling. They are "THE" tire for traction. (Short of pro pulling tires) Sure the Carlise tires are good too, but you get what you pay for.

The new Firestones offered by Miller are a bit softer than the old original ones made by Firestone, but still great tires.

Although, I think it has been determined on here that if your going to be moving snow instead of dirt, turfs and chains can't be beat. Of course in both applications, a pair or 2 of wheel weights is a must.

I'll only say that if your primary concern is winter traction, your best bet is turf tread with chains. Ag tires alone are not very good in the snow and if you put chains on ags they tend to drop down between the lugs rendering the chains all but useless.

Ags and Chains:

While I agree, chains on turfs are great snow moving devices, adding chains to ags is far from useless. The do not fall completely below the treads and bite into ice and snow quite effectively. I have pushed quite a bit of snow with the ag/chain combo and have also tried it without the chains....difference is night and day, so they can't be an ineffective combo.

Ags:

23 Deg Stones are great tires, but I have heard of and seen the recent versions crack prematurely (for what that's worth). If not Stones, then Carlisle/Titan Tru-Powers...I have had excellent luck with them in 10.50 and 26x12 sizes.

The newer Firestones are made in China as far as I know. The Carlisle TruPowers are made in USA. That swayed my decision toward the Carlisles.

Adam Briar-
Firestone 23 degree Flotation ag tires are listed as being made in U.S.A, noted on Miller Tire web sight.

I'll most likely be in the market for a set!

The 23/10.5s say they are Made In USA but the 23/8.5 and 26/12/12 don't say. I find it hard to believe they would only make the one size in the USA. Maybe just a typo on Miller's site.

Firestone does not list the Flotation ags in any 23" size in their current catalog.

290282.jpg

Miller may have purchased the rights to the molds and is having them made independently......

I enjoy the tire talk, but we should move it to the sandbox, considering the last 7 post had no mention of cubs. Your going to wake up
animatedihbear.gif
and he will push the
poof.gif
button

STEVE - Yep, I'm not sure what the arrangement is between Firestone & Miller but Miller is the only source for the Flotation 23 tires. I think Miller has them available in 6-12, 23-8.50's, 23-10.50's, and 26-12.00X12's. I've also heard that the biggest problem with imported tires is the fact they weather check so quick. US made tires don't do that.

Last company I worked for had some finished product end up at a competing manufacturing company in China. They pretty well duplicated EVERYTHING in our product EXCEPT the simple rubber sealing washers which were actually one of the most critical parts and had gone thru YEARS of testing and refinement before meeting our design life requirements. The off-shore mfg even duplicated our company logo embossed in the side of the main body of our product. Anyhow, because of these washers, our US made product had a design life of 30 years... the imported product would fail after about SIX WEEKS.

ANYHOW... I'd wanted a set of 23-8.50X12 'Stones for thirty years before PD #1 which was my excuse to buy a set. My local tire store said Firestone had THREE tires in the nation when I got my pair... not sure what good ONE tire was going to do the next guy... I know Firestone made one more run after that, maybe two. Firestone never had a 23-10.50 mold, but that was the first size Miller made.

ANYHOW... To keep this post "Legal", got some seat time planned on the 982 today... pruning some trees. Like My brush pile needs to be any bigger! It's projects like this that make me wish my BIG cart was even BIGGER. 50"W x 70"L x 16"T isn't NEAR big enough. Dad had a cart that was 12 ft long X 5 ft wide with 2X4 stakes for sides every foot or two. That was almost big enough!

Back