• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 20, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff,
Just calm down.
facepalm.gif
All of our Cub Cadets have tires on them. Well if not they should have.
biggrin.gif

23 degree Firestones! They are awesome, are they much better than other ags? I'm not sure for regular plowing or general Cub Cadet use. I can say for Pullers they are proven winners. I've had or have several different AGs on my Cubs and they all are nice. I can say these Duro Ags in the first pic beat the Dualled up 'stones in the third on a HARD dirt pulling track one day. But for normal use its tough to say which is actually better. To me it depends on price more than anything.

Duro AGs on the right beat the Firestones on the left.

290300.jpg

Duro AGs or any AGs would not work here.

290301.jpg

8.5" duals

290302.jpg

10.5" 'stones for my dads 1650

290303.jpg

26x12x12 'stones on a puller

290304.jpg

I am not sure on the ag's yet either. With all the Cubs that Dad and I have and do have over the years my 1650 and 127 that I got this spring are the only tractors we have ever had ag's on. All the other tractors have turfs on them.

The ones we use the most, the 149 has the "radial Zig Zag" turfs,

290309.jpg

and the 782 and my 1450 have the "hex lugged" turfs

290310.jpg

I know that both these tread patterns with chains do really well in the snow and dirt. My 1650 has New Carlisle ag's, and it is what I plan on using when I plow the garden, and it is going to wear the QA42A this winter with OT 55# plastic weights. I don't have a set of chains for this one... so we will see what happens. Luckily, I got the original turfs (the hex lug like my 1450) when I bought the tractor. So worst case is I will have to buy a set of chains and have to change tires and weights over this winter. The 127 has a set of vintage, well worn Goodyear I believe ag's on it.... not sure what those might end up on yet, as the 127 will only be used with a mower from now on....

The only thing I have had to get used to with the ag's on the 1650 is the bumping when driving on a hard surface......

VINCE - At PD #1, I was making a pass on the north side of Blunier's old hog barn and it was wet, too wet to walk on without sinking in over your ankles... but I pulled thru there plowing and barely spun a wheel. If I'd have stopped my tractor & I would have sunk like a rock!

On hard surfaces, I would think a 23-10.50 would out pull dualed up 23-8.50's. You aren't getting much penetration into the ground with the duals. I would think a single 23-8.50 would be very close to a 23-10.50 in those conditions.

There are times when a 45 degree lug will grip better than a 23 degree lug. But when it all comes down to it, Firestone spent the money decades ago (1960's) to built "The MEAN MACHINE" and have had the edge on ag tire development ever since. http://www.firestoneag.com/en/about/product-testing/default.aspx

There's other great test tracks, CAT has one around Joliet, IL if I remember right..., may be closer to Peoria, but they pretty much compare steel tracks to rubber tracks to rubber tires....

Hey all, hope your Summers' have been wonderful.

Small steering issue on my 124, I was, well steering, and lost it completely... Down at the front left wheel (when sitting on the seat) I can see the arm move (on top of the axel) but the wheel itself doesn't move.

I can freely move the wheels with my hands (they both move together, tie rod is good)

Is the coiled spring pin likely shot or a bigger issue with the knuckle?

Thank you for your assistance as usual =)

Little pic of the mow job from over the summer (Facebook photo, don't need an account to view):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10443514_10152536183390498_3103977103344717708_n.jpg?oh=0f5106031d9bdd57ba997afda5892e48&oe=54C55300&__gda__=1418724886_a602dcb92e1656a40a3875b371e91e98

KRAIG - Ohhh You have pic's of me trying to get STUCK!

After I got in there I thought, "Why the heck did I drive in here and how bad will I be stuck before I can get pulled out?"

As you can see, Chris Bennett was doing O-K in there too, following me after I followed him all morning.

Ohhh and STEVE B. - I saw in another post a month ago about PD #1 you mentioned Ken U's "Neighbor". His name was GORDON SOLOM, the guy I bought my 982 off of. He was the one who refurbished it. He still had that sharp 782 he had at PD #1 to run. I remember he asked me where his 982 was that day!

Jeff, you do alot of moderating around here. Congrats on your promotion to moderator! Wait... Your not?

Charlie and the mods will keep us on topic or
poof.gif
us. Talking about the tires available for our cubs and where to get them and where they are made is definitely on topic.

Your post didn't have anything cub related either. So if you would like to stay on a topic that you are interested in, feel free to post such a topic.

But more to the point... I'm thinking about that white fluffy stuff coming my way in a month or two. I'm going to have to park my 782 outside under a cover, but would like to keep it a bit warm. What's the ideal magnetic block heater to put under the rear end? What about the engine? The 782 will soon have an aluminum case Mag20 in it, is there an advised heater for the engine oil too?

And for all unofficial Mods, this is an accepted accessory for my IH built 782.

Nic, I see Jeff as kind of filling in while Bryan is on the mend, OJT of sorts. Yeah, he's a bit on the zealous side but he does have a severe case of Yellow and White Fever.
greenthumb.gif
I do agree, for the most part tires are on topic as all of our Cubs do have them and/or are in need of them. If it turns into a "what's the best tire for pulling" discussion, then that discussion should be taken to the Pulling section. Charlie may have a differing opinion, in which case I'll refer him to my tag line.
angel.gif

EDIT: Denny, well, I am "The Keeper of the Photos"
proud.gif

Back