Archive through May 22, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused(as usual) its been mentioned that there is an "O" ring around the ignition points pushrod on a 301 engine.I'm just finishing up a 301 ohaul,there wasn't one in the genuine Kohler gasket set,unless I lost it,my Kohler eng book doesn"t seem to mention it,and my engine parts breakdown illustration doesn't show it. Could someone end my confusion?

Terry,

I sure could use that thing in my garden. I have an old foundation in it and nothing will grow on top of it except for weeds, and they don't like it too well either.

Try T.
The main dif is that the QA throwers are Quick Attach, which means they slide into the mounts and the CC were originally designed for the 71, 1x2/3 series and bolt on.

I am sure this has been covered a lot before but I just got a 1450 and want to change the trasmission fluid and can't find Hy-tran in anything but quarts. Is it imperative to use it? I appreciate the help.
David

Charlie-Myron,yep I missed it,the "O" ring was mentioned as a statement of fact a few days ago by another member.

Wayne M: "a few days ago by another forum member"?? Who & when. So far we are dealing with ghosts and non-facts...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Charlie,I never thought there was an "O" ring.I've been a professional mechanic for forty years and have ohauled two Kohlers in the last year and never saw one.

Wayne,
I would like to know where you saw that someone here said there was one. I'm thinkin Myron would like to see that too.
biggrin.gif

Charlie...some time back Dennis Frisk & Kraig were discussing the points contamination of <font size="+2">O N A N !!</font> engines where a points rod "O" ring came up trying to cure the problem they are having...(haven't had such a problem with my 982). Reckon that's what is being referenced...??

Myron B

Went to start the 1650 today acted like a dead battery, After charging bat tractor turned over, I heard a click and lost all power. After waiting a bit tractor started, ran it a while went back to start heard the click again and lost all power, any ideas. Thanks John

Matt and Henri -

Thanks for the info on the frames. That helps out a lot.

Chris C.

Tonight I pulled the head on my K301 that started a knocking sound right after I did a tune up. There was a VERY think layer of carbon. I cleaned it all out and put it back together. Tomorrow I will start it up and see how it runs.
I also learned that it has been bored 30 over. Is it possible to resleave these old kohlers and re-bore?

Chris C.

Charlie/Myron- I found the o-ring on the points rod, thing. Ref. to Cscannon post 5-21-07 @11:40am, and Dennis Frisk answer 5-21-07 @01:28
Maybe somebody got two different engines mixed up, but the refference is there.

Curtis,
Your right Dennis does say there is an O-ring.
OH Dennis! Enlighten us please.

CHRISTOPHER - The pushrod for the points gets splashed with engine oil from inside the engine. It passes thru an o-ring stuffed into a machined groove in the pushrod hole.

You know guys when I bought my 1000,my Cub dealer said, that they were kinda rare because they quit making them early and they didn't make as many of them.

I have no way knowing this for sure I think switching over to Hydro caused the gear drives to become not as popular.

My 2 cents I really like restoring my 1000 and ready to start this fall on the 1650 after a summer's of work.

Pops

Latest posts

Back