Archive through May 21, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsterley

displayname
Darren Sterley
ok i should be good then the imput shaft broke on the out side of the pump were the drive shaft hook to the pump if all goes well ill be working the garden in style by sunday
groupwave.gif

Kraig,
I used to be 50K and 640x480. Is it higher now?
I can post them myself if I know how big to make them. Some pics its hard to get down to 50k.

Todd, yes I believe it is up to either 70KB or 90KB I forget which it is.

Charlie, what's the current posting limit for photos?
dunno.gif

Art, I'm exempt from the photo posting size limit so I never pay attention to that.
fence.gif

Here are some photos of Michael Howard's modified 1100.

84280.jpg

84281.jpg

84282.jpg

84283.jpg

84284.jpg

JD rear rims on a 1100?
dunno.gif
Either way, it looks like someone would have rather had a 149 (or tried to turn this into one.)
roflol.gif

Kraig-
Touche'
crash.gif

I recently aquired a Cub Cadet Original. The motor is Kohler however there doesn't seem to be any serial numbers present that I can see on the motor. It was originaly yellow and currently has black engine cowlings. It does not have the oil bath air cleaner either. Somewhere, I'm not certain if it was on this board or not, someone had made reference to an interesting piece of information I wanted input on regarding the K-161. Was there a remodel motor (K181) with a dry air filter available that was for refurbishing worn out K-161 motors? Is there a way to tell if it is a K-161 with a dry air filter or a K-181? Did the K-161 come with a dry filter option?
Thanks.

Curtis, the later version of the K161, as used in the Cub Cadet 70, 71, 72 and 73 had a paper element air filter. The later replacement engine for the Original and the 70 through 73 was the 8hp K181.

Thanks Kraig, Yes, the conversion was good enough that I didn't realize it wasn't factory until I had to work on it. The engine is a K321A, I am going to go out to the barn later and get the numbers off it and see if I can track down its origin. Until it broke, It was a heck of a machine, I guess swapping a 14 horse kohler in where the 11 horse briggs was is like putting a 454 where a 350 was
happy.gif
Any comments, advise, or suggestions are welcome from anyone!

JOHN DEERE RIMS?!? That eexplains why parts keep breaking, the old girl is mad about wearing low budget shoes!!!

CURTIS - All K181's were 2-15/16" bore and had 2-3/4" stroke on the crankshaft. "SOME" K161's were only 2-7/8" bore and some later ones were 2-15/16" bore but they all were only 2-1/2" stoke. So short of disassembly no real way to tell the two apart. ALL original Cub Cadets before the models 70 & 100 had the oil bath air cleaners. The 70 & 100 were the first dry type air filters. I'll probably get flamed for this but the oil bath cleaners are really poor at filtering dirt....Be happy you have the pleated paper filter element!
bubbly.gif

What was used on the rear pto for cub cadets? I thought the tiller box and chipper was until today. Thought I wanted one but now i dont know.

Dustin - IH never actually made any attachments or had any attachments made for the rear PTO on gear drive Cub Cadets. I forget the name of the company that made a gearbox that corrected the direction of rotation, I think it may have been HUB CITY or something....but it turned the wrong way and at slower RPM, and with a different size & spline count than the ASAE standard so it was not accepted well, even by farmers.

The rear PTO option on Super GT's like the IH 982 and later SGT's was fairly popular with a wide selection of Cat. O 3-point attachments avail. like finishing mowers, bush hogs, tillers, etc.

Curious about the numbers on my 123's deck. Its a 48 inch deck with the number: 481U1111 stamped on an IH tag. The funny part is the last 1 in the number has a 2 stamped over it.. What does this mean?

Also, is it supposed to discharge out both sides, or am I missing a plate or something? Thanks!

Dustin S. IH attachments with moving parts(chipper, tiller,mower,snow thrower,etc.) for cubs like your 128 model are belt driven from the pto on the front of the engine. The tiller and snow thrower used gear boxes. The chipper, I am not sure. Someone around here will know.

Is someone willing to loan me their PTO adjustment gauge or tell me how to do it without one? Thanks!!

Brian J.
I assume that you need one for your 129?
Since I already have your address, I'll send ya one tomorrow if you will confirm WF or NF.
thumbsup_old.gif

Charlie:
You posted the template for the WF (for Matt's 108) here, about a third of the way down the page (if someone's in a hurry...)

I bought a 1200 with a 16hp kohler on it. It has a few problems but nothing serious. The driving plate is busted and the throout bearing is bad. Came with blade, duel wheels, and chains. There is a guy here in southern indiana who sells old cubs. He told me to replace the drive plate assembly with a solid plate with bronze bushing instead of the original type and floating bushing. I am concerned the isolation mounts might cause a problem with the solid plate and stationary bushing. Could someone give me information if this will work or not. thanks

Latest posts

Back