Archive through May 18, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing some maintenance on 30 year old tractor the other day and got to thinking a lot of people new to this hobby complain about their tractors missing or backfiring. Here is a good example of why plug, points, and carb adjustmet doesn't always fix the problem.

28209.jpg

This is why Kohler recommends decarbon the head and block and a new head gasket on a reagular basis. Some times you wonder how the valves can even close with the build up around them. For an engine to run good you need to bring in a good fuel/air mixture, ignite it and exaust it and you dont need a build up like this in your way.

28210.jpg

I have emails off to all to see what I can find. Found a post from Travis recently looking for one because he was out. We'll see what comes out of the boneyards. Thanks.

Here's a pic of my new ride that Dunham hinted at......

28213.jpg

It has 1008 one (1) owner hours, 50 inch deck and soon to be added CAT 0 3-point. You can see your faces reflection in the tinwork!!! An adoption program has been created for those who are/may be smokeless.......

Thanks for the part number Ken. Nice 782D too! Sure wish mine had diesel power. I've been talking with the local Cat rental place on getting a light plant generator for a motor donor. They have various small diesels in them...some Kubota, some Lombardini, and others. Trying to find the right size. Most appear like they would fit. Some are air cooled too which might be a plus.

Rick M. and Ken U.-

Why not use a grease that exceeds the specs for IH251HEP grease, such as one of Sheaffer Oil's products?

That's kind of what I'm asking...

At what point are they no longer rated equal and one excels the other?

I understand EP version non-EP but what about the rest?

The "best" grease is

1) In the gun...
2) ....that's used on the fitting.....
3) .....OFTEN

I haven't heard of too many Cub Cadets tearing up parts due to the "wrong" grease.....but I have sure seen enough tore-up due to NO grease!!!!!

LOL! Good one Steve, and most certainly true
happy.gif

I can't remember the brand name on the one I'm using but I do remember it's made in Dixon, IL. It looks alot like the tube on the far right in Charlie's photo.

That may well be it, the name sure rung a bell.

I picked up a 6 pack (4 pack/2 pack bundle) of the refills on sale for $4.00, normally what the 3 pack costs, at a place on the way back from Mt. Pleasant last year.

The "gun" I have is made by Plews. Nothing fancy but I like the smaller pistol style as I can get into a lot of spots with it and do it one handed.

(Message edited by rmunday on May 19, 2005)

Hi Richard,

I just did the same to my 12hp and also put in a new plug and coil wire....left the points but gapped them after about 7yrs of use. A lot of build up!

But one thing....it ran better before I cleaned it up! I'm having a hard time making it run smooth....it seems at times, usually when its been run for a while, it wants to take off...the rpm's go wild, it's like there's no controlling it. I know some will say that the carb needs to be rebuilt but this wasn't happening before I tore it apart...it's wierd. I did follow the instructions on setting the governor but...I don't know it's wierd.

Any ideas?

OH NO.... Spin-off of the Great Oil Debate! Ahhhhh. I use Lubri-Plate, Think it's # 1201 or 1202. It's the White grease. But I have used Mobil Synthetic grease for repacking the last few sets of wheel bearings I've done. I used to use Mystic JT-8 I think it was from F&F and mower spindle bearings would only last 2-3 years. Since I switched to Lubri-Plate about 15 yrs ago I haven't had a spindle bearing problem since. And I mow about 10 times as much area. Dad used the Mystic grease on His old IH corn picker with all the slow speed plain bushings and it worked much better than the lithium grease He had been using. But on some cold mornings it was all His "Super" M wanted to try to get the picker running because it would get so stiff. I think that's why it didn't work in the mower spindles. Wyatt & I had a good conversation on grease and the proper applications about a year ago. Different tools for Different Jobs!

With plowday fresh in our minds yet, here's a pic of what some kids are trying to turn thier CC's into...
28219.jpg

Here's a pic of the "power enhancing" add-ons that give this 1486 HP!!!!
28220.jpg

I've always used Fleet Farm grease, I'm not sure of the exact type. I agree with what Steve wrote. My dad always insisted that before each use the mower deck spindles and the zerks on the snowthrower drive shaft all get greased. To this day I always give each implement's zerks a couple shots of grease before using it. I don't recall ever having to replace a bearing on the 42" mower deck that my parents bought new in 1969. I did replace the needle bearings near the chain sprocket on the QA42 when I refurbed it but the U-joints have not been touched. All that grease slinging around does make them look ugly but at least they work. :eek:)

Ken,

Intercooled with a Bosch pump????? Still the factory 436 block, or is it a 466??? What knid of HP are we talking???

S.B..YES, YES, 437 block...225 HP

Has anyone noticed the new Cub Cadet "C" emblem in the grille bezel on the lawn tractors?? Might the "grass" finally "be cut"???

Latest posts

Back