• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
Not to throw any fat into the fire, but the 582 special I picked up a couple months ago so far has been the best lawn mowing cub cadet I have owned to date.
151752.jpg

and we all know I have had a few different cubs,
just the ones I had running last summer
151753.jpg

but my "582" is probably going to be more favored than the 1204
151757.jpg

I will add a bit more fuel to the fire and say that I was pleasantly surprised by the power and smoothness of the Briggs 16hp in the 582 I use to own, I pulled like my 17hp Kohler and with a lot less noise.....

Lonnie:
If one were to be considered a smarta**. one might say, "of course it mows well, it's built like a lawnmower...", that is if one wanted to try to stir the waters..
devil1.gif

BTW, Ryan.......Nice rig!!!!

You too Aaron!!!!

Steve:
The neighbor's 18 horse Kawsaki powered greenie ('86 model) was quiet too, - (it's dead now). He thought it was as tough as the 129 until we chained 'em hitch to hitch and I drug his butt around the yard (no wheel weights on the 129 back then, either).
draw.gif

Speaking of axles, I just noticed this on the Tecumseh website: Transaxle Recall
Also: Fuel Line Recall
Not to stir the fire up or anything but if you know someone with one of these machines, let them know...

I think that the thing that bugged me about Tecumsehs was that I was just used to so many Briggs engines. Worked on so many of them that I just knew them well. Tec was the oddball. Also, one main jet to adjust on the Briggs carb vs. the low idle and high speed screws on the Tec.

I just rebuilt a carb from a 16 hp Briggs twin (582/582S/580 engine) and man, that thing is unecessarily complex. There's like 9000 parts. Took me an entire morning to rebuild. The motor runs good, but doesn't sound as throaty as the KT17/M18 and is really LIGHT.

The cub rear is quieter than the right angle gearbox/belt drive trans in the 582S and 1100, etc. or at least it seems that way to me. I'll keep my REAL IHCC garden tractor rears.

Quick question. Replaced pushrod, points, condensor, and coil in the Keepsake 1650. I still have intermittent spark. Tractor at times will run five to fifteen seconds before quitting and again no spark. Could it be the wire from the points to the coil has a short? I want to use it for the main mowing Cub this year. TIA for all help.

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and have question about a 161 breather assembly on my CCO. I noticed the flat spring was broken off when checking the valves. Does that have an effect on engine performance or cause problems? I have ordered a new one just in case but I am also trying to figure out why it’s hunting. My timing light with tach drops out and errors when it hunts so I figure it must be a grounding issue or electric problem but am covering all bases while waiting for parts. Well here are some pics of my fleet I restored over the winter and thanks for the help in advance.
151767.jpg

151768.jpg

Jeff A,
Wait a minute that ain't no Cub Cadet being pulled around by the Speedex. That's only a stinkin' Cadet!

Marlin:
Is it possible that the new pushrod is binding? Also, remember that the function of the points is to
<u>ground </u> the coil momentarily, so measuring the voltage from the points side of the coil to ground should show close to 12 volts, except when the points close, when it should go to zero.. If you've got an older analog volt meter, you should actually be able to watch it while it's running, if the engine quits, see if the meter is still fluctuating - if it goes to zero and stays, you've got a short, if it stays high while the engine is still rolling, the circuit from the points to the coil is "open"....
thumbsup_old.gif

Marlin check connections on coil wire pull on it to see if it broken check the coil with a coil tester or take to a shop that has one.

Marlin H - A short in the condensor-to-points wire is very possible. When I tore down the K301 on my 1250 to refurb it, I disovered a break in the plastic insulation on that wire, right at the point where it passed through the wire clip that held it against the block (under the carb). It's worth a look-see.

Porter...your broken reed valve shouldn't really affect performance but you may have increased oil consumption. The breather should keep a slight vacuum in the crank case. As for the hunting, points push rod could be wore out
dunno.gif
I had a problem with an engine for a long time until someone told me to look there. Sure enough that was it, never even thought they would give any problems.

Latest posts

Back