• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 12, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Frank S - Do it right first so we have a "by the book" starting point.

Loosen the clamp on the governor shaft.
Move governor arm as far from carb as it will turn.
With pliers turn the governor shaft CCW as far as it will go.
Tighten the clamp.
Put the spring in 3<sup>rd</sup> hole from bottom up on gov arm.
Put other end of spring in top hole of throttle cable lever.

Nothing can be done to correct your problem if we don't have a given starting point that we all understand and know how it should be acting.
Then we'll work from there if it's not right.

Fish didn't bite tonight !

I'm sure glad everyone can sleep knowing there's work to be done.
I bet half of you haven't even changed oil in your <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cubs this year.
If I'm able to today I want to check the ACR on my 127 via the exhaust valve opening on the compression stroke. If I have to go inside to see if the ACR is working ... I'll never get it done.
While standing up in the boat last night the pain got so bad in my back it finally just quit holding me up and down I went, so I ain't hefting no stinkin piece of iron ! My engine lifting days are long gone. I probably shouldn't have carried so many car engines in my youth.

Young fellers full of pizz and vinegar take head ! I've carried ready to run 6 banger Chevy engines and sat them carefully down in the floor. Now I can't stand up or hold a cup of coffee out at arms length. Take care of your body.

Jerry B - Did you get washed away ?
I just seen on the Weather Channel that a creek or river west of Saint Louis rose 11 FEET in two hours !!

WAYNE S. - My guess as to the location of the needles from the balance gear bearing is they are in the bottom of your oil pan. Have you changed the oil lately? I'd send your old Gernade Gears to Gerry! I think he collects them.

KEN - Now your making me feel bad..... I've had the new oil filter for the 982 for a week and haven't changed the oil yet......Actually I have three filters now. Two Onan's and a Fleet-Rite that would have been the correct filter for your welder/generator. It's about 1-1/2 inches LONGER than the Onan filters. Have to run the 982 without a side panel for a while to use it. Old Onan filter was $14, new Onan was over $20, Fleet-Rite was less than $6. I will not be cutting a hole in the side panel however.

KENtuckyKEN

I got a good nights rest last night after the 2.5hr drive to the airport and back. My truck came back on fumes with 786klm showing on the trip meeter. Son now lives on the parries.This am I can pick up my Coffee cup with out much pain.Back in 1975 I took a 1 year small engine course and have learned a lot on this site by reading and trying to do it my self.Oh I never will be able to spell!So if I take the time to answer a question on this site and because of a spelling error you have to read what I wrote more than once to understand what i`am trying to get explained. Then repair my terrible grammar if you must to do a search. we all have strengths and well mine ain`t spelling. I have Changed the oil in 4 tractors this spring so far,but I do the grass cutter every year before I store it.I like to get that nasty oil out of there before I store it.My wife called me this morning and said to me( now if you feel better this am please let the work you want go a few days,don`t do anything today). Thats not an easy thing for me to do.I have to call and get power steering parts for my loader. You all have a great day while I do nothing.
old.gif

pcwhack.gif

Paul F, Thats for the suggesion. i havnt gotten to it yet anyway. yesterday it rained and I didnt feel like tackling it with wat everyone told me could happen if i did it wrong.lol

KENtuckyKEN, U ned 2 rechek ur shpelling again
clappy.gif

Don:
With my 4 finger typing, I use Firefox as my browser, with its on-the-fly spell checker, but the problem with any spell checker is you HAVE to know what the word LOOKS like, if you don't know how to spell it. I wouldn't worry about it, we just assume that's the way you spell things up there, eh?

Yeah, I guess that the balance gears will rattle if there's no needle bearings.....now let me see - what would cause that?? (and what do you suppose the rest of an engine that's shucked its needle bearings looks like??) Or is this the other half of MY theory on balance gears - rebuilt motor with all original balance gear parts..
fence.gif

Gerry-

I'm heading out and will take the camera. I don't yet understand why the gear is so loose but no needle bearings have been found. I will post a pic or two this evening. The engine appears to be in great shape like I've mentioned. Time will tell.

I have a 3pt. hitch that I am putting on my original cub cadet. When I bought it it had what I assume is a 'spring assist". It appears that the base of this piece attaches to the tractor behind the seat. Can anyone tell me whe
ihrotate.gif
re the spring attaches? I am also going to have to replace the bolt that attaches the spring to the bracket and adjusts the tension on the spring. Does anyone have a photo of this as part of the 3pt. hitch on the original cadets? Please send me an email with any suggestions.

Tom

Tom, does it look like this? Note the large "washer" with the hole in it. That washer is slipped over the lift pin and the spring is hooked into the hole.

190125.jpg

190126.jpg

I picked up a used 169 from a member here. It is odd that it is a manual lift (seller provided hydro lift from a 1450 and a sleeve hitch...) and it had some odd looking brackets welded to the front of the frame. Anyone have any idea (or guess) what the brackets were/are for? The seller suggested that he thought the weld job was too good to be home brew and thought they might have been some sort of dealer option.

I checked the serial plate on the frame and it is a 169 and the location of the plate is consistent with the serial # of the tractor - so it is for sure (as much as one could verify) a 169.

Thanks for any input. I've gone from quitelines to a 169 in less than 2 weeks - I'm bit by the Cub bug
happy.gif

-Calvin

190137.jpg

190138.jpg

190139.jpg

190140.jpg

Those tabs kinda look like the quick attach tabs on the NF's on up through the 982s dont they? just my thought..

Calvin, many 169s shipped without hydraulic lift, here's why:

190142.jpg

Those welds don't look that special to me, looks like a home brew quick attack for a custom attachment of some sort.
dunno.gif

Calvin the manaul lift can be normal as a bunch where shipped from the factory that way due to a shortage of hydraulic lifts at the time. And I dont think thats a factory weld addition a PO must of done that.

Otherwise the PO could have had it welded by a proffesional welder for that matter
old.gif

but all the same Ive never seen anything simalar to that on any tractor

Wow, thanks for the quick replies - I LOVE THIS SITE!!! I really mean it! I’ve been looking to get into the Cub hobby for at least 10 years and have finally arrived and can’t believe the wealth of information you guys are willing/able to share…

So, am I going to run into issues mounting hydraulics? It seem like I need a specific kit according to the IH memo? The seller provided a hydraulic lift (for work purposes from a 1450 and indicated that he'd seen them retrofitted on 1X9 series tractors before.

I'd like this to be my restoration project, so I imagine getting a limited run hydraulic kit made only for 169s is going to be a pain if I want tractor 100% correct
sad.gif
I wasn't too worried about the brackets as they can be ground/cut off and frame recontored. The hydraulic issue seems like in might be a much bigger deal...

Thanks for any input.

-Calvin

The engine governor. The purpose of the governor is to "maintain" the engine speed. The governor will open the throttle only enough to keep the engine at the desired speed. If the engine is running at full speed,3600 rpm,for example,at no load, the throttle won't be open very far. As the load on the engine increases, the governor will open the throttle as needed to maintain that rpm up to wide open (if everything is functioning correctly). Engine rpm should not increase when the load increases, but stay the same as when there is no load. If the load on the engine increased gradually you should not see any rpm variation. If the load increases suddenly there may be a slight lag,but rpm should recover promptly as long as the load does not exceed the horsepower capability of the engine. Be sure the engine is running at full rpm,horsepower ability drops off pretty fast if the engine is running slow. Set the governor/throttle linkage per the manual and verify engine rpm. Is the engine healthy,when I o'hauled my 126 the power output of the engine increased dramatically.

Calvin, Im a narrow frame guy but I believe the kit that you are reffering to is the hydraulic lift that you got with it. Nothing more...as far as i know..

CALVIN - Something the PO definitely welded on to push a dethatcher or some other easy-to-push attachment. ANYTHING IH made for a 169 hooked to the Q/A tabs under the frame where the mule drive is attached.

Latest posts

Back