• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 09, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
???
1a_scratchhead.gif

Can`t that be fixed ????????

238893.jpg

238894.jpg

238895.jpg

dang it`s a lot a wok to share !!!!

TRISTAN - Yes, the stock S/G is limited on output. It's not hard to exceed it's charging capabilities. My 12V sprayer pump draws 7A and when I run it the S/G gets too hot to lay your hand on. I put a damp towel on it between batches of spray to cool it down but it doesn't help much.

I think I'd try to run an alternator off the frt PTO. Trying to turn the alternator, hydro, etc would be a pretty good load for the starter portion of the S/G. A bigger battery is required. I run a 525 CCA battery in my 72, think it's a group #26, the old one was 600CCA but Farm & Fleet doesn't carry that rating anymore.

Don't forget to put proper circuit protection in any new light circuits or power feeds to winches. I had to replace the in-line fuse holder on the 72 yesterday because the old one, maybe 4-5 yrs old started to MELT, and it was a BIG heavy-duty one rated for 30A, I tried a plug-type fuse this time instead of the glass tube style fuse.

"Birthy Hapday"......that's too funny.

Have one for me too Don!

I finally got the 104 up and running. I ended up just puttng another K241 I had in instead of refreshing the old engine. That'll come this winter. The only drawback there is the POS walbro carb. It's running fine for now but...I rebuilt the steering box but the spindles need a little attention...still a little tight. I also put a new clutch system in less the clutch disc. I just used the old one since it still has life.

238899.jpg

238900.jpg

I haven't decided what to use this little guy for yet. I don't care for the lack of seat springs so it won't get a lot of use from me. It'll probably be a puller but I might pull the engine for the 109 in order to get her back on garden duty. She got too tired to run last year.

Don,
Is that a spark plug cleaner/blaster? If so it's been awhile since I've seen one, and probably 45 years since I've used one. How old is it??? Older than you are, they date back to at least the 40's and maybe older. Had different size rubber inserts to fit the different size spark plug threaded ends.

Wayne, yow, looks like that 104 has a perfect seat!
yikes.gif
Sweet!

Do you guys see any advantage/ disadvantage to having an aluminum oil pan on a 149? The balance gears were removed so it vibrates. Is there more/ less danger for cracking? Thanks.

Kraig-

Unfortunately the seat has a small crack underneath and is full of pi$$ ants.

Don-

I believe that's called nostalgia. Neat find. Do you plan to use it? I just clean spark plugs on a fine wire wheel, sand the electrode a bit, blow it out and regap. They might not have known it could be so easy (but I bet it did a better job).

Would anyone happen to have a picture and some dimensions of an upper link for a 982 that came from the factory? The one with the 1/2" and 5/8" ball joint on each end? I would like to have my son make me one since mine was missing.

Rob, can you be more specific about where this "upper link" is?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Have you looked at the Parts Lookup for a drawing?

Dennis Frisk
I have an alt here that was on my 1512 D when I bought it. I have changed it back to stock spec and still have the alt .

Well kraig and Paul are just so smart to have come up with another picture of what My brother bought. He is happy to be able to now keep the plugs clean on the Suz 500T that I gave him this spring. He beat me to it and well it don`t matter much, because I can use it any time.I thought you guys might have seen a few of these and might have used one .I was a cool find!!

Daniel, I think one has to lift the motor up to get the harness along the channel, which maybe why its in the open. Maybe another member can confirm/deny that statement. <font size="-2">Which is one reason I haven't put a new harness in my 147</font>

Jeff B - I didn't see anyone address your earlier question. I don't think any of the "production" tractors prior to the Quiet Line series, came with black engines. Also, I have always wondered if Kohler painted them yellow or IH did. Back in the early days of the Forum there were lots of discussions about replacement engines being black (never seen them any other color).
Sorry I can't address the question on S/Gs rating but I've only ever seen/heard of 15amp.

Dan G and Allen S - I would definitely move the wiring harness inside the frame. I don't recall the engine needing to be lifted/raised but hope someone currently with a 147 could advise. I see that little cutout on the driveshaft (clutch style) half moon cover. That must be a PO mod. I believe the harness should come up right next to the flywheel where the frame has the expanded opening.

Hydro, Dennis added in earlier . I do have a book that I was told could be inaccurate but it says the 12 amp was stock and the 15 amp was the factory replacement
Out of the 4 S/Gs that I have 3 are 12 amp 1 is 15 amp.

As for the paint my book says kohler painted the Q/Ls black but does not say anything about the 1x8/9 but all the photos show yellow engines.

But I wondered if late in the 8/9series they went with black stock engines

HMMmmm.. I thought the 14's and 16's used the higher amp rated S/G's..??..??..??

But I could be all wet.. :cool:

I think I remember reading somewhere that IH simply decided not to offer replacement engines painted ($ saver) and they came black. I've seen several 1x8-9s with black engines and even own a couple of black replacement engines myself. I'd like to know when Kohler went to the Walbro carbs but that might be for another discussion altogether.

Dan G.-

I'd get that group of wires back inside the frame as intended. I've got to run a new harness in my 147 so don't make it sound too hard.

Latest posts

Back