• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 06, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where am I when deals like that come up? Dang the bad luck.
clappy.gif

Steve Shaff, If you are looking for the decals that go on the sides of the auger housing, I've never been able to find those. Years ago I was planning on having some made up but have not done so yet. I know a guy that does custom decals, I need to haul one of my old QA42 snowthrowers over to his shop and get a quote for a few sets. As for the warning decals for the snowthrower and mower decks, IIRC, those *used to* be available from HAPCO but it appears that he's not doing Cub Cadet decals anymore, only JD stuff. Perhaps someone else has a source. I also seem to recall that someone, in I believe Texas, was making Cub Cadet decals.

Charlie, do you have any sources for these less common decals?
dunno.gif

151289.jpg

151290.jpg

Kraig/Steve-

I might be able to draw those if you can find someone to print them. Those aren't too complex.

Matt, the guy I know has very sophisticated graphics software he can probably replicate these in a few minutes. Thanks though. BTW, I did a quick cut and paste "repair" of one of the decals way back when using just MS Paint, just to see what I could come up with. I'd have to do some clean up if I were to print them, but this was just for fun to kill some time...

151292.jpg

KENDELL - My first mower deck refurb was back in about '87 or '88. The 38" for the CC 72. I also made a few modifications to get the cut grass out of the deck better and allow trimming closer to things on the left hand side. Still is the nicest mowing deck I have, as long as I watch the rear tire pressure on the tractor. I mowed with it last week and the left rear tire was about 2 PSI lower than the right rear tire. And I didn't notice it until I was about half done.

I used to have to work on the spindle bearings on that 38" deck every year or two and then I switched brands of grease. I use Lubriplate in everything now and I haven't had a spindle bearing problem since. When I had the 50C deck apart I did notice some looseness in one of the spindles, but it's between the bearing housing and the bearing insert itself. I tried "shimming" it but I don't know how long that repair will last. It seems to be still mowing O-K, but the deck's only run for four or five hours so far.

The "stripe" these decks leave when turning is between the outer deck blade on the inside of the turn and the center blade on the deck. When the blades are new they normally won't leave the stripe, but as they wear down and You sharpen them WAY beyond what IH recommended they will leave the stripe. I solve that by just not turning as sharp or turning on grass already mowed.

I am preparing to replaces some bad gears in my tranny on my 70, does the brake lever pivot pin (item #7) have anything special holding it in place that I should know about before I tear something up? I don't see anything in the parts blowup that keeps it in place.
151305.jpg

It looks like it has a center detent where item 6 passes by, does that sound correct. and if so will item 6 need removed first?

Hi All,

I am a rookie contemplating my first true Cub Cadet project. Found a 129 for $250 with engine problems (no compression, probably a broken rod?). The engine doesn't scare me away as I teach a small gas engines class but my question is: Is a 129 a good first project? Is $250 in the ballpark for a non-running Cab Cadet? It seems to be in the ballpark for others I have found. I will try to post pics for you to see too. Let me know what you think.

Other info:
Claims the hydro is in working order
Some dings and dents
Steering wheel is loose
Wiring has been reconfigured to bypass the safety starter
Deck adjusting plastic knob is missing
New blades
New deck bearings
New Ignition Switch
Comes with Tractor and Engine Manual

Is there anything I should look at or look out for when I check this tractor out in person?

Thanks!

CO

151315.jpg

151316.jpg

151317.jpg

151318.jpg

151319.jpg

151320.jpg

151321.jpg

151322.jpg

Chris O,

Apears to be a pretty solid machine judging from pics alone, could give you years and years of good service. What's that worth these days?

Christopher, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
We don't like to say whether or not a price is right as there are so many variables, including your location (in some areas Cub Cadets are more plentiful and thus the cost is lower, the old supply and demand deal) Basically a Cub Cadet is worth what a willing seller and a willing buyer can agree upon. Having said that... The 129 in your photos appears to be in good overall condition, minimal rust, and appears complete. The left side panel is installed. The right side panel is not installed, be sure to ask if it is still around. It has the optional headlights, that increases it's value. Overall it appears to be a good project Cub Cadet.

Christopher, this bracket might be for a windbreaker cab. Might not hurt to ask the seller if they have it or any parts from it.

151325.jpg

151326.jpg

Christopher, these are the side panels I'm referring to.

151328.jpg

151329.jpg

There should be one on the right side also.

Disregard earlier post, got brake pivot rod figured out. Read a little - wrench a little - read a little - wrench a little.

Thanks for the great feedback guys! Good catch on the side panel and windbreaker cab, I'll be sure to ask and let you know how everything turns out.

CO

I just bought my first IH Cub Cadet,

It's a Cadet 1200. I have a lot of questions, but here's my infomation.

Guy was asking $350 he was using it for a mower at his shop. I paid 150 and traded him a Troy-Bilt mini cultivator,

It seems pretty standard 38" deck, no creeper drive, no electric lift and no rear PTO.

The creeper drive and the lift are things I'd be interested in, I need some experienced advice on hitch options and is it feasible to find a creeper and install it?

This is a toy for me and hopefully it will be a hobby. I'd like a pretty flexible hitch. What kind of addons have you seen for the front PTO?
Last and probably most important what size blades in this 38" deck.

Thanks in advance from an ear to ear smiling Cub owner.

151333.jpg
151334.jpg

Kraig, I was thinking that the plastidip stuff would be better than the heat shrink after a few days of thought. I also think that it would be easier to apply and would cover all of the handle better and stick better too. Just my .02

Welcome Chris H.,

Start off by getting a manual for your 1200 and it will answer most questions you have as to attachments. The guys here are very knoledgeable about most mechanical questions and can help fill in the gaps that the manual doesn't cover.

Damage to tranny is worse than first thought. broken shifting fork, and can not put into 2 gears at the same time to lock the shafts so counter shaft cap nut can be removed because there are not enough teeth left to hold it.

Chris Hall:
Welcome aboard!
BTW - While small in stature next to a full size field tractor, they are definitely not toys, even though we play with 'em. You can buy the toys at the big box stores, and they'll last about as long as any kids toy that's been used every day..
animatedihbear.gif

Chris H as for attachments alot is the answer I have a qa42 snowblower,40 inch tiller and a snow blade in the works on my 1200 but there are many other things to do with it best advice is to spend some time going thru this forum and learning. also check the sponser pages as you kind find most all you will want there
thumbsup.gif

I was looking at tractors on an internet auction site and while looking at an OCC there was a comment that the frame was good and not cracked in the usual place.

Is there a usual place? If so where?

Back