• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 05, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin T:

Let's try this again.
35396.jpg

thanks for the colored diagram... i am understanding how the factory wiring should have worked. what i am trying to troubleshoot is how could that system be re-wired so that the key turns off the tractor only when the seat switch is closed (sitting on seat)

the only thing I can come up with so far, is that if the seat switch was wired onto the battery terminal of the switch, rather than the ignition terminal.

but i am a few hours from the tractor, so its hard to do remotely
happy.gif

I have three cubs. A 1962 original a 1968 125 a 1978 1200. Im ready to do some plowing. I was told a 10 in plow would be a good plow. Ok but what kind of plow is the best? I will be useing my 1200 to do the plowing. my email is [email protected] any help would be great. thank you.
bash.gif

RICHARD - Go back up above Your post and look for the bold blue lettering. Scroll down the topics to "PLOWDAYS" and there's hundreds of pictures of plows. Probably 90+% are Brinley's. I have one made by Ohio Steel Fabricating but I think they are "NLA"

The standard wire colors for the new motor are as follows:

35404.gif

the 'kill wire' which is white... would that be split into 2 wires and follow the purple and purple/white wires then?

Colin:

How about a complete Model, Spec and Serial number(s) for that Kohler...???

eh... hrmmm.. let me see...

this is about all i got for ya:

CH23S-76607

Colin T,

The kill wire needs to be hooked up by adding a relay when converting from a KT to a Magnum engine. The purple and purple/white wires power the relay instead of the old KT series coil and the relay operates the kill wire. Go the "other" cub site, search for "relay", and look at the schematic posted by Jim Steele on March 15, 2005, 9:01 am. It shows exactly what to do.

JimE

Colin T,

I refered to a Magnum engine in my last post, your dad's is a Command. The wiring changes are still the same however. The Command uses a CD (electronic) ignition and the kill operation works the same way as a Magnum. You can download a complete service manual from the Kohler website. Section 8 of the manual describes the ignition and its connections and troubleshooting in great detail.

JimE

Colin,

You need to find out if it has the relay like Jim mentioned, or the 1811 style ignition switch (Magnum style - ground to kill motor). You should be able to wire it according to the 1810/11/12 wiring diagram (with the right ignition switch) and have everything work perfectly.

jim-

thanks for the info, but what is the "other" cub site???

Colin:

Ok, here is what I have come up with to wire up a CH23 to a 782 (prior to s/n: 720,000). I have researched this the best I could and have drawn up the following diagrams for you.

(A) You will need a new Ignition Switch as indicated in the Diagrams.
(B) The best as I can see, from all the research on I done this, that the Green & Yellow wires are used in the event you have an Oil Pressure Warning Light. Since the 782 does not have this, these wires do not apply to anything.

Any questions, contact me. Here ya go:

35410.jpg

35411.jpg

thanks for the custom diagram!

i have some questions though...

first, on the starter blue wire, shouldnt that be going to the starter solenoid from the brake switch???

second, on the diagram, when pto switch is off, b+e are active, yet no wire is coming off of pin e? and the other thing... the way the wiring shows the seat swith, the motor would only get the requred 12v when the circuit is closed (no one sitting on the seat) how would that work??

Got my first wide frame this weekend,
35417.jpg

35418.jpg

35419.jpg

35420.jpg

It was a freebie. The PO had is sitting in the hay loft of his barn, stoped by saturday and asked if I was the guy collecting old cub cadets, I said yes, told me I could have it if I wantes it, all I had to do was go get it.
Hooked the trailer up to the 102 and down the road I went. Good thing it was only a 1/2 mile away, but heck, I have been known to toss the garbage in the trailer and drive 5 miles one way to the town hall to the town dumpsters to get rid of my garbage.
NO! I aint tossing my garbage in someones elses dumpster, that is the only garbage service we have here.

I am assuming that yous guys meant this diagram:

although i fear that the shop put in the 1811 style ignition switch and changed some of the wiring (and it still doesnt work right), so if i want to use the relay setup, i have to put the wiring back to stock first.... argh

(Message edited by ctrost on May 09, 2006)

argh... try again!

<font color="ff0000">sorry - we don't post their pics, they don't post ours</font>

35427.jpg

In addition, I think if you study the M-18 & the CH-23 closely, there are differences in the way they are wired. While I am familar with the posted diagram of J Steele, I am not sure that it would apply to the CH-23.

on the "other" site pics... that seems a bit harsh, but whatever.

roland -- thanks for the clarification, but as you have it wired, someone must NOT sit on the seat to keep the tractor running... at least how i am looking at the seat switch. I am seeing normally open as someone sitting on the seat. the circuit only closes when someone is off the seat. but either way, with the diagram posted, the tractor will not run at all if no one is on the seat?? pto off or on?

(Message edited by ctrost on May 10, 2006)

Colin:

Here is a Schematic for a 782 (below s/n: 720,000) with a CH-23, with a Relay. You will need to obtain #725-3040.

Either way you decide to go, will work.

35431.jpg

Latest posts

Back