Archive through March 30, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul - I started a thread in the resto section and had a couple questions there that perhaps you could help with if you care to. Also, thank you for the earlier pics - precisely what I needed.

Myron & Lewis........Thanks for your responses. I have owned a few 582's but never saw a clutch shield. I had a tech official at a pull this weekend try to tell me it had one from the factory. I told him I didn't think so. The rules in the 4,000rpm stock classes say it must have a shield around the clutch if it had one from the factory. I will likely put one on it because itis safer but he was dead wrong

Slant%20Tongue.gif

Tom they don,t want you to die from sticker shock used ones go 40-60 bucks!!!

Charlie P. You didn't tell Tom what the difference between the two numbers meant and that they were for different usages with one having just the two top and bottom holes and the other having the four holes.

6 months (?) later and here she sits, untouched except for placing her on wheel dollies and piling stuff on top of her. She was supposed to be my winter's project, then the 169 appeared "out of the blue". Then I got a "part time job" that's helped finance rebuilding the K341 from the 169. Now I want a "little" diesel. Does it end before they shovel dirt on us?
happy.gif

256382.jpg

I picked these up today for almost nothing

lots of duplicates some as many as 8
not sure if they are all for a K series

I don't know my engines well enough
Feel free to school me on gaskets if you want

256394.jpg

256395.jpg

256396.jpg

256397.jpg

256398.jpg

Was it the difference of little tractor versus big tractor usage for the emblem?

Terry,
All I can tell you about the engine oil drain on the prototype tractor is that it was on the engine when I bought the tractor. That tractor was one of 10 prototypes built at the Louisville plant between 5 and 14 October 1960. Those tractors were sent to Engineering Test Center in Hindale, IL. 6 were to be tested/used by potential buyers, 1 was used to develop shop and owners manuals, 1 used for advertising material, and 2 used by allied equipment manufactors. When the test center was through with them they were sold to engineers or were destroyed. None were sold to the public. Frank G. Majer was the engineer that bought 409. He continued his own testing with it and kept a log of any problems/difficulties experienced during a full season of use (71 hours of operation) in 3rd gear, full throttle. He and his family continued to use the tractor until I bought it in 2003. Replacements for broken parts came from the test center or IH stock, and a number of replacement parts that Mr Majer had "stockpiled" came with the tractor when I bought it, parts that he determined to be problematic, including a new frame. The engine in that tractor (original) has a spec number of EX 28542E, and according to Kohler, the EX prefix was used on expermential engines during that time frame (oil pan IH used was/is different than what was normally used at that time). So, the 45 degree street ell screwed into the block for the oil drain could have been installed by Kohler, or it could have been installed by Mr. Majer as a way too keep the oil from running all over the frame when changing oil.

To those that have helped me out. YAHOO! I was real excited to see the ole tires turning with gusto. First I got a quality fuel system so I didn't have to stop and clean out the rust pieces lol. I ensured that the shaft was turning which was real easy (thanks Hharry). A peak in from the rear and I could see the very end of the shaft spinning to beat the band. Next, I sprayed the relief valve buttons with some more lube. I cranked up the engine and ran it full out in the hopes of increasing pressure. I tried the fwd/rev back and forth routine to no avail. Nothing lost. It was easy to try. I then used duct tape to keep the plate out of my way. I took a thick and long screwdriver and pried down on the buttons. Released, then down again. After 6 or 8 times the first button popped up. I did the same to the other and after 4 or 5 times of applying pressure it popped up. Put the shifter into forward and the wheels went like crazy. Reverse worked great also. The front tires are shot so I couldn't drive it. My wife is taking them in for replacement tomorrow (payback for making me wear a necktie). I took the opportunity to grease up the whole rig including the mower deck.
I can't thank all of you enough. You saved me hours with your knowledge and expertise.

John B.
From what I remember, there's 11 or more variations of that style of IH emblems over the years for everything they were used on.
And I'm bettin there's very few out there that know them all or really care, LOL
But ya never know.
biggrin.gif

Scott C - HEY!!!! That's really GREAT!
greenthumb.gif

I don't really understand how you did it with a long screw driver and pryin on the button, but I'm sure glad you got it.
Now, about replacing those front tires - they can be expensive. Did you think about just putting tubes in them? You might be able to get by with tubes for awhile depending on how bad they are. Sure wish you could get us some pics.

Charlie P.
happy.gif
Yepper... You're right. A couple of old IH partsmen told me the two hole were primarily for the tractors and the four hole design were used on the trucks. That was back in the 1970s when some of those really neat parts guys (now most of them deceased) could tell some really cool stories about IH products and the farmers that used them.

Hydro Harry, I think my cc must have been somewhat altered because I can look over the top of the rear end and see the buttons. When I put my hand in there it is a tight squeeze and my finger is just a little too tight to fit under the flapper bar. Touching it with a 10" screwdriver was no problem. I will get a pic taken from the rear of my unit in the next couple of days and share.
I will try the tube option on the tires. I think there is a little more life left in them.

Paul - many thanks for all the great info on the early Originals and the engine/oil drain issue. Regardless of originality it makes perfect sense to have added, if indeed that was the case, the L shaped piece to keep the oil away from everything. I'm just going to leave mine as they are as I have lots of other little issues to address.

Among other things I've noticed, both mufflers have extensions on them for getting them further out from the hood, which makes sense, but wondering if those were added by the PO? The couplers used to extend them are different than one another which makes me think they were added later.

Last, I'm trying to make certain nothing leaks on the transmission before I paint and curious if there's much to removing the driveshaft from the reduction housing so I can replace what appears to be a seal on the side facing the front of the tractor. Tranny is apart so might as well do it now if in fact it is a seal. Thanks again Paul and perhaps one day I'll get an opportunity to see your Os since I'm just up the road from you in Indianapolis.

Terry
I no longer own either of those Original's. The last one I had was a 3 digit recoil start, and it went to NY a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a lot of room to keep many tractors, so I enjoy finding, refurbishing, and taking them to a few shows, then it is time to pass them on do it all again.

Hey Guys, this is the first time for me on this site. Need some info please. I did restore my cub 100 about 4 years ago. Just after the restoration, we did emigrate from South-Africa to Albany in western Australia. On that stage I did leave leave my IH at my dads place, we are saddled in now so I'm trying to ship the IH to Australia. Can somebody tel me what the weight is of a cadet 100 with 4 wheel weights. The shipping people wants the weight of the shipment and am not there to check it. Cheers Gerrie.

Gerrie, looks like you registered back in 2009. WELCOME BACK!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Good looking 100. Interesting heat shield on the muffler. Shipping weight would be approximately 555 pounds for the tractor but would also depend on how you package it. If your wheel weights are the IH cast iron weights, they weigh 26 lbs each so you would add 104 lbs.

256431.jpg

Latest posts

Back