• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 25, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone. This is my first post. Been reading for a while. Trying to find out if a IH Snowthrower Model CC-36 will work on either a 149 or 1650? I checked out the FAQ, and it appears this model was designed for a NF? Is this correct? thanks.

RYAN - I bet Kraig or Charlie posts the brochures with some of the tractor weights soon. The 7 HP gear drives, like the CCO, 70,71,72,73 were the lightest...then the 86. The K241 & larger engines are much heavier...about 40 more pounds than the little K161/181's. And IH did this weird thing where they added 175# "OPERATOR Weight" to their spec's and showed front & rear weights as well as dry shipping weights.
Takes a lot of iron to get them to 1000#. Seems like the dry shipping weights of the 7 HP NF gear drives were in the 600# range, maybe a bit less. The larger HP & WF's can get close to 800#. My 982 spec sheet shows something like 757# with the mostly alum. ONAN engine and no options, but I have the rear PTO, steering brakes, Cat O 3-pt. and about three sets of weights so I'm close to 1000#. And if not I have 120# of 10# suitcase weights I can throw on the front.

Thanks for the comments on the roller. It is made from a steel drum that is 4 foot by 42 inches and 1/2 inch thick. The ends are 1/4 inch mild steel renforced with 5 inch channel iron and there is a five foot 1 1/4 shaft running through the middle. Here are a couple of pics of assembly.

53828.jpg

53829.jpg

53830.jpg

53831.jpg

53832.jpg

53833.jpg

I was behind the camera so it's my dad in the pictures.

I haven't loaded it yet, but I have an older hand crank winch that I'm going to put on my trailer to pull it on. Dad is going to deliver it with his boom truck for now.

We built the hitch so it can be hooked onto the little 9m ford tractor, a 4-wheeler or a vehicle hitch if wanted. At 3000LB I wouldn't think of pulling it with the cub if there was any slope, but my property is dead flat. Dads 149 pulled it around his yard really nice. On the flat cement floor I can pull it around with two fingers (empty of course). I could use one but the hitch is a little heavy for just one finger. We are planning on taking it up to some forest property that we own and using it to pack down some of the the 4-wheeler trails there. We'll use the 9m for that and take the brush hog to cut down the weeds and then roll the camping area. I don't plan to ever use it on hills.

Mitchell G.
Your correct, that thrower fits narrow frames only, unless you modify it a TON!
Your going to want a QA series thrower.

Kraig,
I think someone here needs to gather all the info on tractor weights so they could be added to the FAQ's.
Anybody willing to do a little research?
beerchug.gif

ALSO, if anyone has anything they think should be in the FAQ's and has the info. Please feel free to let me know and I'll add it.
I've got tons of stuff to add, but time is a problem, that and typing one fingered and left handed is a PITA.
biggrin.gif

ANOTHER ALSO,
If anyone has any paper info scanned or stuff not scanned that you would like to share. We're planning on adding brochures, Installation manuals/sheets, maybe service bulletins and anything else that has to do with Cub Cadets.

I've also been approched by the BIG GUYS at MTD about adding other material they have, not available to the general public right now.

SOOOOO!
What does everyone want to see/have available?

OK, last one.
We need to thank MTD Products Inc. for their backing and permission for letting us have a DIRECT LINK to the parts lookup. So use it often, so they know it's appreciated and needed.

Bill J.
Prolly because when that was put together, 501 had not been found. I'll fix it just for you.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for catching that! And if anyone finds anything else like, please feel free to let me know.

Mitchell G., more specifically you'll want to look for a QA36A or a QA42A snowthrower for your 149 or 1650.

Regarding the 502 serial number, I recall hearing long ago that <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> would start the production of a new tractor with a SN of 501, not sure why that document started with 502 but most likely it is a typo that occured when CCC or MTD generated that document.
dunno.gif

Dennis F.,
Thanks for sharing your additional info on various CC tractor weights.
thumbsup.gif

Shane P.,
Thanks for sharing your pics & info on the making of your GIANT roller!
It looks like it would flaten most anything!
eek.gif

Kraig McC.,
Thanks for posting the various tractor brochure data pages!
thumbsup.gif

Charlie P.,
I have frequently used the recently-added 'CUB CADET ELECTRONIC PARTS CATALOG' link (located below the 'CADET CONNECTION' link at the top of the page [I'm assuming that's the MTD Products link you're referring to]). Their exploded views has been VERY helpful to me in understanding the original construction of these Cubs and the associated part number listings has been very helpful in my ordering parts along the way!
How can I pass on my thanks & appreciation to them?
confused.gif

ALL YOU GUYS MAKE THIS CUB SITE AS GREAT AS IT IS - THE BEST!!
buttrock.gif

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

RYAN - Another neat thing Son & I have discovered since We've been working on the 72 the last couple weekends..... The whole darned tractor is held together with 3/8" NC capscrews....and most of them are short, like 1" long....so the whole tractor comes apart with a very small selection of 9/16" wrenches & sockets.

Well would you look at that! I need to open my eyes and look more closely at the sponsor links. I wonder if my dad will get mad again if I plow the yard a little....

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+1">Its time <font color="000000"> to think </font><font color="119911">Spring!!
</font></font></font>
I took off the chains and stowed the snow blower away, and got the mower deck on now. The grass is still mostly dead, except for a bit around the south side of the house. I also took the mower for a lap up in the field, which my neighbor normally cuts with a big green tractor and a bat wing mower once a year. Last year's dead grass is about 6 inches tall, which put a nice load on the mower, and it handled it well.

I have a problem with the 129. I had no spark @ the points so I changed the coil for a used coil that was good, new condensor & points. Turned engine over to the S mark on the flywheel & adjusted so the points were just breaking open. Spark is very weak & it seems like it's not constant like it should be. Using a test light, I have a bright light across the coil when the points are closed. Light flashes brightly when the engine is cranked. Spark at the points is weak & seems to walk around the outside edge of the points. By this I mean it seems the spark is traveling around the outer edge of the points in a circle.
I'm lost, what should I try next?

Well I tore into the K301 in the 127, here's what I found.
53865.jpg

53866.jpg

Bottom of piston travel
53867.jpg

53868.jpg

53869.jpg

53870.jpg

middel of piston travel
53871.jpg

53872.jpg

I seemed to some how loose the photos showing the top of the piston travel, But I can assure you that the readings where the same as the ones I got at the middle of the travel.
The piston walls did not look to bad,
53873.jpg

And the piston and head cleanded up real nice
53874.jpg

53875.jpg

By the time I got around to change the oil in the hydro & tranny my hands where far to greasy to handle the camra any more.
I did not find a lot build up in the bottom of the tranny, all that there was, was a little bit of gray metal fillings typical of any transmission, no big clumps of sludge or snot looking junk,nor any big pices of metal. Guess I lucked out on this one.

The only problem I have with it now is I can not get the carb to stop leaking gas, I replaced the bowl gaskets with a new rebuild kit. But it still leaks, any suggestions?

Wow, CC Original #501. I always wondered what happened to that little Cubby. IH (now Navistar) kept it. That may explain why the production serial number range starts at 502. Nice to see that Navistar still has it stored away and is hanging on to some of their heritage!! Interesting that the bill of lading also mentions a Reaper too. Would like to see that Cubby on display someday. Charlie, be sure to tell Hank thanks for the pictures.
worthy.gif

Lonny, Replace the needle valve and seat. Shake the float, if you hear anything replace it too.

Back