• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 24, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,
IH did not build any Cub Cadets with a serial number above 700,000. 694248 was the last Cub Cadet they built according to the monthly production records, and it was a 782. But as you probably know, MTD used up IH materials left after the buy out.

Kraig posted these while back though.
26646.jpg

26647.jpg

So.... I take it that my Red 782, is an actual IH tractor, just that MTD "assembled" it. Did MTD change anything on these tractors when they took them over? Would my tractor brand new come with an IH owners manual? Do I just follow the paint # in the FAQ area that the 665000-700000 used?

Here's a pic of the load Eric Lewis and I picked up in Ohio Yesterday....all of it going to PD9
26654.jpg

Too bad it's all for others...But this is did follow me home...
26655.jpg

26656.jpg

26657.jpg

713 miles in a day with Diesel in Ohio at 2.39 a gallon
yikes.gif

Was a great trip and had a great time and saw some cool stuff too

(Message edited by krandall on March 27, 2005)

Here's a pic of the weights I asked about earlier. Anyone have an idea what they're for? Or how to mount them? 11.5" o.d.
26660.jpg

(Message edited by jgeorg on March 27, 2005)

Jim, CCC built your 782 and when they took over the line they still used the last of the IH parts. Your serial number is pretty early in the CCC line so you could have some IH made parts. CCC started putting in the AL rearend.

Well, today was a beautiful Easter day here in Norhtern Illinois. Unfortunately I had to work, one of the downfalls of working in the retail industry, gotta be there for the consumer, so on and so forth
happy.gif
. But went over to my friend Tom's house who was getting some good cub time in tonight. Working on his 1000.

26679.jpg

Here is the engine that he had in it. Came out of a 122, but he is now putting the original engine back into it, after a little bit of fine tuning.

26680.jpg

Here he is adjusting the valve clearances.

26681.jpg

A good picture of the disassembly work

26682.jpg

Here is the old clutch disc. It was so glazed over, im not even sure how it was working all this time, but some how it was
happy.gif

26683.jpg

Before the new disc was installed.

26684.jpg

Here it is with the whole thing almost put back together.

He will be getting some good cub time in this week. And hopefully we will have the whole thing up and running by this weekend.

I hatched a idea to replace the tired engine in my 71 this summer. On that one auction site I have found several small 4.5 hp air cooled diesel engines, would make a nice swap out, just have to find one that can be set up for elec start so I could ditch the recoil pull start hook up the drive shaft. Anybody ever seen this done, I remember seeing a pic of an original with a diesel in it a year or so ago, but the person with the pic had no other info on the tractor. Just an idea on my back burner for this summer. Cheers Mike

JStorma: TC-193, the parts manual for the 82 series, says that (IH made) CI rearends were used through serial number 719999. Cast Aluminum Rearends were used beginning with 720000.
Myron B

Mike,
Thats not going to be a big enough engine. I have a 73 that has a hard time mowing thick lawn. From what I have seen a 7 HP or 10 HP engine doesn't cost that much more.

I ran into a 1000 roller yesterday for sale that's missing the engine, right side panel and headlights. I'm debating on getting it this week to build up. Definately could be my chance for a Cub toy.
happy.gif

If you were to build "The Ultimate Cub" what would you do? Not as a restoration, but as an all around worker and toy.

(Message edited by rmunday on March 28, 2005)

Rick-
Sort of depends on what you do most. I think most would say that if your main use is mowing, stick with the hydro, and that goes for many of the uses.

For me, I'd say something like a 782 or 982 repowered with a 25hp Honda or Kohler, front hyd. outlets, CAT-0 hitch, and probably a power steering conversion.

Right now I'm building my own "ultimate" at a slow pace. A 14hp round-fendered tractor with a few extras.

Have you ever dropped a garden hose and had the nozzel stick on while it whips around and sprays you over and over????? Then you might get an idea what it is like to watch a full can of back spray paint roll off a bench and punch a hole in its side when it hit the floor. First you have to catch it and then run outside with it. Luckily I was near the door. Spent the morning cleaning up paint.
censored.gif

Terry-

What's this nonsense about a 7 HP powered <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet not having the ability to mow thick grass ?

Oh. Wait a minute. I guess it is tall grass that the 7 HP units mow in third gear. My mistake ! ! ! ! !
yikes.gif

you have to remember the difference in torque, the diesel will have lots more of it than the 7ph kohler does. I have never had a problem mowing tall grass with a 7hp cub, while you do need a 1.5 gear or a 2.5 gear speed on occasion, your stuck with 1-2-or 3, third is ususal to fast for mowing with a nice cut. I am not in a hurry and enjoy my cub time, so I usualy mow in 2nd once I make the first pass in 1st gear. If a 7hp cub is having trouble in 2nd gear, then its either very tired, has govoner problems, or mower deck problems. My old 71, burning oil, will knock down field grass and weeds that are taller than the hood without bogging down, I am doing this with the deck as high as it will go, just knocking and cutting up the tall stuff first, I make many more passes to get it down to normal height. Cheers Mike

So, how many here will participate?<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

In Friday's rush hour, the mow the merrier

William Hageman

March 27, 2005

Plan to leave for work a little early Friday morning. Streets and expressways figure to be clogged.

It's Drive Your Lawn Mower to Work Day. Really.

Bruce Kaufman and the Glenview-based U.S. Lawn Mower Racing Association came up with the idea to draw attention to the group's 2005 racing schedule.

"There's people doing it," insisted USLMRA President Kaufman, sounding as serious as a guy known as "Mr. Mow It All" can sound. "We always have some shtick on April Fools' Day. For us lawn mower racers, April Fools' Day is a national holiday."

Friday marks the 13th anniversary of Kaufman's group, which sanctions mower races around the country. Its 500-plus members compete in the STA-BIL National Lawn Mower Racing Series, which includes three events this summer in Illinois: June 11 in Mendota, June 12 in Oregon and July 31 in Aroma Park near Kankakee. There's also a July 30 event in Valparaiso, Ind. (The complete schedule is at www.letsmow.com.) In addition, there are a dozen or so Illinois Lawn Mower Racing Association events.

"The Land of Lincoln is rockin' and mowin'," Kaufman said. "I can't help myself."

Drivers race at fairs and festivals and to raise funds for non-profit groups. There's no prize money, just trophies and national acclaim. The machines, with names like Geronimow, Lawn Ranger, Yankee Clipper and Precious Mowments--Precious Mowments?--have their blades removed, of course. And they're ratch-eted up considerably from that Lawn Boy putt-putting along down the block.

"Who hasn't thought about tricking out their machine and taking it up to 40 or 60 miles an hour when they're cutting the grass?" Kaufman said.

"We Americans love to race. This makes sense. We've raced just about everything else in this country. Might as well race lawn mowers."

As for riding them to work, Kaufman admitted that it can be problematic. "Sometimes the cops'll get you."

So, he said, "we're also saying bring your lawn mower to work."

Copyright © 2005, Chicago Tribune<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Rick M. -

45 miles to South Loop here...

Hmmm - where's Ray L - betcha we can get him to drive to the Field...
lol.gif

If I didn't have to hop on Amscray, I mean, Amtrak Friday night I might just try it
wink.gif

John G what is the inside hole diameter? Will it fit over the axle hub? I mounted wheel weights on the inside and outside of the wheel. I'll try to find pictures for you.

Ricahrd C,
Funny you should mention that, I DO HAVE a gray spot just outside my garage door from about 2 weeks ago!!!!!!
Sheetrock knife fell off the bench, bounced to a can settin on the lower shelf and SHEEUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob,
I'll bet you'd kick a dead horse too wouldn't ya! LOL
worthless.gif

26692.jpg

Bryan,
Count me in! snicker

Latest posts

Back