• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 14, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of throttle position, remember that on a governed engine (like we're dealing with here), full throttle on the throttle lever doesn't necessarily mean wide open throttle on the engine. Full throttle on the lever sets the spring tension on the governor to operate the engine at 3600 rpm, the factory-recommended setting. The governor will open the throttle automatically and in proportion to the speed droop below the set point (3600 rpm) as a function of the load imposed. As the load is reduced, throttle automatically closes due to the governor's efforts to keep speed at 3600 rpm. Running the Kohler at full governed speed is actually beneficial for good engine life as cooling airflow is maximized, lubrication is improved (which carries away more heat from the piston interior) and bearing loads (from combustion) are reduced.

Thus, don't hesitate to run her at full governed speed for most every job.

Charlie- I hear you are getting lazy in your snow route. Making all your neighbors have to shovel that wet stuff Monday and then again on Thursday. Are you tired of seat time???

I had the fun of moving both Mondays and Thursdays slop tonight when I got home after the WIFE made an attempt at clean up of the snow with the 582M and blade on Thursday. When I talked to her she sounded like she had fun playing with the tractor but at least she didn't hurt it!! Gotta love a woman that knows how to drive and use a cub.

Hugh,
Monday I was out of town and thursday it wasn't worth the effort to get anything other than the rug beater out to clear the sidewalk.
biggrin.gif

Dave S. do use any primer before you spray the bed liner or use it right on the almost clean deck?
err.gif
I know Richard C. has been using bed liner for some time but hows it work up here with semi damp grass?

Hi all,
I wasn't on a Cub hunt today but passed a yard sale that I just had to stop at. I ended up with two running Cubs, a 122 with headlights and a 102. Also got 3 decks, a snowplow and a set of IH wheel weights. When I agreed to his $225 asking price for everything he offered to deliver them for free. I'll have pictures tomorrow when he drops them off. What a great way to start the weekend.

Wayne Smith

John G.- This is what I usually do: sandblast or use wire wheel in angle grinder to remove rust; weld up cracks or holes which I find; reinforce areas by lift brackets as needed (see pic); check bearings; use rust restore on heavily rusted areas; apply truck bed liner. (It's OK to use a good primer over the rust restore but if it's too glossy, the bed liner doesn't seem to stick as well.) In wet grass, use hose to wash off underside of deck or scrape clean with wooden scraper. Each fall I remove deck cover and remove all dirt and grass debris, grease spring idler; remove blades and touch up any areas where liner may have been worn off; replace with sharp blades. Most of these deck restore ideas have been posted by others years ago, Jim S. being one.

Thanks Dave, it's time to get the decks ready, spring is just around the corner. Got the 44 all cleaned up, I'll use bed liner on it and see how it works out. Get them ready in the fall? Now that's an idea! But, I'm busy doing the thrower then.
whistling.gif

Charlie, Sorry no pics I am not that skilled with computers yet. The deck has no rust holes on top just some acne that could use a little attention.
Dave S. The body filler is just for the top and I will use bed liner for the bottom. This is my first deck job if it works out ok there are two more waiting. Thanks to both for the help.

Hey has anyone changed the face of a hydro pump? I have a dead one with aux ports and a good one without, just wondering how hard it might be to get one going with ports on it by combining the two. thanks in advance

Stan W:

You can change the Cast Iron Center Housing from one pump to another. Just leave the Check Valves, and Charge Pump from the Ported Pump intact when transferring over.

thanks that's what I was hoping for. do you know of anything I should look for during disassembly?
also I tried to research the rebuilding of a hydro unit but the info I found didn't really help much it seems that something blowing by internally it will go fine in reverse but forward only runs at about half speed. I switched reliefs,changed oil/filter, disconnected the linkage and moved the trunion to its fullest limits, I also changed the charge pump (being careful to put it back on right), and I capped the aux ports for the heck of it, it kinda has me baffled.

Stan,

I've done 4 or 5 hydros torn down to that level or beyond...not too big of a deal with a manual and clean working environment.

It's going to snow a foot in Central IL next week!!!!!

I pulled the cab and thrower off of the 149 today so I can get ready for the spring lawn rolling, fertilizing, top seeding, etc. While I was taking off chains, I also pulled them off of the 782....so, I have a 58" blade on a tractor with no chains for snow removal until plow day.....Yup, it's gonna snow 3 FEET next week!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I see there is some talk of mower decks. Were all IH decks fully stamped or are they fabracated?

After a cursory look this morning at my new Cub original I have a few questions.
1) Engine appear to be froze up. I pulled the spark plug ( no rust) and shot some PB Blaster into the cylinder and will let it sit. Any other tips on what to do?
2) Motor-Generator also appears to be frozen. I filled the oil cups with PB Blaster and will see if it frees up. Any tips on disassembly of a frozen unit?
3) What other engines are direct bolt-in replacements? Tractor S/N is 29327
4) Tractor is not equipped with a front PTO. The clutch is on the mow3er deck. Can a front PTO be added?
5) Mower deck seems SOLID. a lot of rust, but no holes and it is heavy. I figure to disassemble, sand blast, and reassemble after checking that everything is OK. Anything else?

Loader Question:

Has anyone moved the hydro pump on a loader from the front PTO to the flywheel pulley? I have a Johnson Loader on a 102 and need some advice before I attempt it.

Thanks,

Jimmy Mac

JIM S. - The IHC decks were all stamped until the 44 & 50" decks, then techically they are "drawn". The only "Fabricated" deck was the 60" wide Haban deck used on the later Super Garden tractors.

Ahhhh Steve, your not a
n00b.gif
newbe
n00b.gif
here. Did you forget the unwritten rule here in Illinois, "Snow removel equipment on and ready to go at Thanksgiving, and removal of same April 1st." Geezzzus , I hope they are wrong, I'm tire of winter! I hope you don't wind up like this....
tomato.gif

Wayne,
Nice find. I was going to brag about mine but you beat my find. Fri I picked up a 104 with mower deck and push blade on craislist for $150. It has a little surface rust and needs front tires but other wise in good shape. I will be going to our annual Chapter 30 IH Collecyor Club meeting in S.W. Wa. today so I can brag there to.

Bad news is the starter Gen went out on the 129 yesterdat when I was mowing. It starts but will not generate. Are these easy to fix. I saw the info on testing but nothing on repairing.

Latest posts

Back