• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 14, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkirk

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Kirk
When I do a rebuild for general yard/garden tractors, I recommend that the balance gears are replaced. For a hot rodded engine that may turn up to 4000 rpm or higher, I leave them out and rebalance the crankshaft to a reciprocating balance factor that the gears contributed. This offers potentially better reliability, simplicity, and a small reduction in friction.

(Message edited by dkirk on March 14, 2006)

Rob N. I used a sleeve hitch for a quietline on one of my 1282s[same as a 582]. It worked fine. I think if you raised it all the way up it would hit the fender though.

Finally got some seat time with my cub cab yesterday. We got about 3-4 inches of snow. There was a slight exhaust smell as I was plowing. I was wondering if remounting the muffler to point up like a stack would stop the exhaust from entering the cab. I noticed a few mufflers mounted like stacks and was wondering if this was why.
It was a bit warm in the cab. I almost could take my coat off. Got to love the cab!
I installed my 2 link chains before heading out. 2 Links are definitely the way to go. No more wheel hopping and the traction is awesome.
34316.jpg

Rob N., the lift lever for the rear of the tractor is the same from QL's to 82's, the lift bar from the lift lever forward to the rock shaft is particular to the 82 series. A spring assist helps alot for armstrong lifts. a TC157 & TC193 are a lot of help too.
thumbsup.gif

David K., thanks. It's a QA42 with a stock pulley on a tired CC125 but it has graphite paint on the inside of the auger housing and discharge chute and that makes a world of difference.
happy.gif

The weather guessers are predicting 4-7" of snow tonight.

Charlie, they just said, moments ago on the radio I'm listening too, 4-8" for the Twin Cities.

Madison AM news said the heaviest band of snow is expected around LaCrosse. They really didn't give a snow depth for the Madison area. Sounds like the PSD gets excersize again tomorrow, and maybe the Cub Cadet/blower and Farmall! Son called and said the County Road dept. is replacing the mailbox post they hit Twice this winter...... just in time to hit it again tomorrow!

NEWBIE, here.
I will become the proud owner of an original Cub this saturday. It is in rough shape, but complete. After I check it out, I will have a million questions. Some of which, I will find answers in the archives, others I'm not sure I could construct the proper search. For instance, I reviewing the literature on the mower decks, I see that International went from the original method of tensioning the mower belt ( Solid axle thru both pulleys, in a curved slot on the sides of the adapter)to seperate arrangements for each pully--one under spring tension and one with a bolt tensioner. Can anyone tell me "why"? Were there problems with the original arrangement, or were the changes made for reasons of economy? Should I adopt the newer style system to my original Cub?
First goal is to check out its condition, then probably get it operating. The cosmetic restoration will probably happen later, maybe in the Fall, if not sooner.

Michael, Welcome! I would guess that it was for simplicity of setup and operation. A spring for belt tension makes it much easier to install and remove the belt and mower deck and it's easier to get the proper tension on the belt.

Mike F.

Hello to someone form my home town area!!! Grew up near Bel Air. My brother just built a house in Bel Air this past summer. Glad to see some one from MD.
happy.gif

You will have fun with an Original. Maybe you can drop a 14HP in it like Mike M.
proud.gif

(Message edited by till on March 15, 2006)

Another big storm headed this way. They are estimating up to a foot. Although they really know very little. Here is a map of the epicenter.
err.gif

34337.jpg

From what they say everyone in the pink shaded areas better hunker down. I better go fill up the cub gas can. I still have 4 inches on some parts of the driveway from Mondays 6 inches.

Well, what do ya know.. Another Mike F.!!

Hello Mike and welcome to the best cub site ever!
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, just make sure to read the FAQ's and help yourself as much as possible by getting some manuals!

I just talk to friend of mine that has been in farming and ag sales for a long time. As well as an avid garden tractor puller. I know he's pulled in several states, anyhow he's telling me toss the balance gears. More trouble than there worth. I think this will be the route I'm going. He recommends going a tenth over on the motor but I ordered a std. piston to fit in the original hole. I didn't want to get too involved with the rebuild, but I know the balance gears are "sloppy".
I just wanted a decent rebuild for general tilling and snow throwing, and letting my 8 year old son ride around the woods collecting wood for the shed wood stove!
I ended up buying a "master rebuild kit" on epay which included rod, piston, valves, wrist pin, and all gaskets.
And while I was there I ordered the carb rebuild and throttle shaft rebuild for the heck of it.

I'm new but I'm going to try and take pic's and load 'em here. Thats one thing I like about this site is all the cub pic's hoping I can add a few.
Thanks guys keep up the good work!
Pete.

Thanks for the welcome.
I am unfamiliar with the world of Kohler, having been always using the B&S products.
What kind of interchangeability is there between engines? You mention dropping in a 14 HP engine. Are they drop-in easy, or does it require some reengineering? More power is always welcome.

I will try to avoid questions that have been answered a dozen times. Over on the Ford diesel, or Mercedes diesel sites where I hang out, any question regarding oil is a sure-fire way to start a long thread. This is not an oil thread.
Michael

Terry B

"slight exhaust smell". Slight? My wife points towards the shower every time I come back in from throwing snow. Despite MMO, there is a rapid and distinct exhaust smell eminating from the 782. Don't know if I can find a cab to eliminate it. Might keep the mosquitos away,too, in the summer so that might be a good idea. How do you hang AC in it?

Quick question -
When re-assembling the drive shaft to the clutch driver plate, should I grease the end of the drive shaft where it sits within the driver plate?
Seems like I should, but no manual seems to indicate this is the way to go.

Thanks

Lonny Butke,

I was wondering if you got rid of those "renegades" that you had in your yard a month ago. I have a 7 yr old son that lives in Elko that wants a tractor BAD. So, its gotta be something cheap, and NOT green. He wants it to use on the farm to move S***. Bein that he is only 7 he can't reach the pedals on a gear drive, so a hydro would do him well. He wants to move snow with it too.

Let me know.
Aric

Dale,
I only plan on using the cab during the winter. With the muffler under the hood I was thinking the exhaust could easily blow back at me. I also thought a stack would point it up in the air. It might still get on me but it wouldn't be so strong. I think Bryan has a stack and a cab but not sure if they are on the same cub.

Latest posts

Back