Archive through March 11, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick H., I've done that! I scratched my head for a long time to figure out what I had done too! I laugh about it now tho!

heres the 782 i just picked un today for 100 bucks its my parts tractor an i got a spare 7hp original engine for 10 bucks from the same guy
115890.jpg

115891.jpg

115892.jpg

Well i thiught i had everything primed. and then found the rear weight bracket. Later Don T
old.gif

115895.jpg

I have recently acquired a 128 with a mower mule drive. All the pivot joints in the mule drive are quite sloppy. There is some wear in the holes and also some on the pins, shafts etc. What is normal and acceptable? Should I redo all the holes and pins as it looks like everything was initially 1/2" dia. although the holes may have been a bit larger? Your experience and assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a picture of the ring gear that was in the wrong way. Future note: don't put it together like this again. Nick
115899.jpg

115900.jpg

Allen S & Lucas CH - I don't know about baking powder, but baking soda is alkaline and will neutralize acid. Either way, I agree it won't hurt to clean it up good before painting. (2 cents)

Well, at least everybody knows how to get some fast reverse gears now if they should need them. LOL, Nick
beerchug.gif

Nick, here I took care of it for ya! That was an easy fix...

115937.jpg

Kraig, I don't know if Nick wanted the whole room turned around though!
clappy.gif

Hey Kraig, thanks but I don't like my water heater in that corner. I Fixed it already anyway. The boy and I started as soon as I got home from work and about 2 or 3 hours we were done. I always take time to let him do some wrenching and I do some explaining (I had more explaining this time than other times LOL) but all is good and we're done. The boy is 11 and enjoys helping work on stuff. He's good help. Nick

Doug W,

The sloppy holes are a bit of a problem on an old frame. One problem is a little less lift height than if everything was new and tight, but you probably really don't notice that. Also, there is more lateral movement of the frame than when new.

If the pins are worn, new pins will help tighten things up and don't cost much and are not much trouble to put in.

Most likely the holes are worn more than the pins. Before reworking the holes, I get some washers---regular flat washers or some thinner machine washers and put them on the pins between brackets or the hair pin connections to tighen up the slop. I find the washers help tighten up the lateral movement. You also can put in a new 1/2" rod where the quick latch and pulleys are if it's worn much.

just my 2-cents....

Here is what else happened. I put a new glass bowl water separator/ filter on and apparently the packing nut on the shut off valve wasn't tight enough. You can see in the bottom of the pic the paint that melted off. Nick
115942.jpg

morning guys the cub o engine i picked up yesterday is a recoil start i guess theirs not to many around anymore just wondering how rare they are

Good morning,
I have to replace the wire the runs from the starter generator A terminal (the one with the battery cable) to the regulator. It is not on the tractor. What is the proper gauge wire? And since I'll most likely be buying this piece, what is the proper color? Thanks.

I see we have a new colorful button up top. That helps as I can never remember how to spell Aaron's site. Cool stuff! That's fo sho!

Nick H,
I'm guessing either you used 'tractor paint' (or rattle cans) without hardener, or the paint was very fresh.

By 'tractor paint' I mean the stuff from the dealer, TSC, etc which is alkyd enamel or acrylic modified enamel.

That is why I won't use anything but automotive paint unless I were just doing a quicky freshening up on a working tractor (which I have yet to do). But if I tear everything apart and remove all the old paint, rust, dirt etc, you can bet I'll spring for the good stuff. No use going to all the work when it can get damaged so easily by something simple like a fuel leak.

I'm not bashing anyone who likes to use rattle cans or tractor paint, I'm just stating why I don't or won't.

so i picked up a new k301 for my 70 today. Engine is brand new. Never had fuel or oild added. Things complete from carb to exhaust coil plug. Just need to add the front pto. Hope to have her running soon. I am pretty excited. and best yet. Got one heck of a deal! I will post some pictures of it before and after hook up. My goal is to oneday plow my garden with this one.

Hello everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask this. So here it goes. Started up the 127 for the first time. It fired right up with little effort, the best I've ever had. Not even a puff of smoke. Now here is the thing I noticed, the engine has a knock sound coming from it. Sounds like a bearing. I've read that the balance gears can make that sound. How can you determne where it is coming from? Any help would be great.

Latest posts

Back