• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 09, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt: Do yourself a favor and DO NOT paint the carb. Yes I know they were painted but I always was told the paint holds heat and I believe it. You do not see the old car and truck carbs painted.

Good choice!!

Pops

Matt D.,

YOUR CC ENGINE LOOKS GREAT!
Maybe hit the ignition and carb with a spray can of clear coat?
They'll still look good, the aluminum won't oxidize and they'll clean up easier than if you leave them bare metal.
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

P.S.
Cool Cushman, too bad about the jug giving out...
sad.gif

Matt,

I, too, feel carburetors should be left unpainted.

Thanks for the Cushman engine picture. Sorry to hear of the cracked block but it possibly can be repaired by brazing, if you find a shop that knows how to do it. You're right, these were great engines with a very interesting design. I like the Timken tapered roller main bearings, very heavy duty to say the least. And an easy engine to work on with the removable PTO-side bearing plate. This engine was designed undersquare, (proper for an L-head) and was a real torque monster. I've worked on a few in the past and it's always been fun.

You made my day with that picture! Thanks.

When driving out the spirol pin that holds the drive shaft to the rear assembly on a gear drive tractor do you use a regular pin punch, or is there a special punch for the spirol pins? Should I soak it with PBlaster before attempting to remove it?

Well, I am going to show my ignorance when it comes to hydraulics.
Is there any reason why you can't hook two spool valves up in series?
I'm assuming there is a reason not to, since I've been going over the
archives and haven't seen anyone do that.

DUH! One valve feeding another one ? Parallel , yes. In series , NO.

I sometimes forget why it is I didn't come to this site for about two years. I have come to recall it over the past couple days.

People come here and ask questions, looking for assistance, and are going to ask questions that for those of us who have been in this hobby for years, seem obvious. But they are new, and don't know all the tricks and resouces that we all take advantage of.

Shane laid it out there and said he didn't know, and wanted assistance. Try not to be so condescending. Shane, if you have them in parallel, the fluid flows through, via bypass from #1 to #2. If you did it in series, you would have to open the valve on #1, to utilize #2. I would suggest you contact a sponsor to try and obtain a IH 2-spool valve, this would be more simple (less plumbing) and appear factory if that is of concern to you.

Want another?
"...what didn't you like about all the answers they gave you over on the Registry?"

I guess that Jason realized that not everybody goes to both forums, and wanted to utilize the resource we have here of some individuals who are here only.

Soapbox off.

Ryan,

Yours is an excellent post and everyone should read it and heed it.

I am brand-new to the Cub world and will have lots of questions.

You made a good point about posting in two forums.
On other boards, I do that, too. As you say, not ALL folks frequent all forums.

I guess it is natural for 'boards' to evolve or devolve into a chat room but it should always be remembered and respected that most 'boards' were established, first and foremost, to help others.

Joe Buffalo

Ryan - You're to diplomatic ;)

OK now my "soap" ... People today are to lazy to use common sense (or maybe don't have any) to THINK things out before asking questions. 90% of all questions can be answered before they are asked IF they are thought out first, not done the lazy way by asking someone else to do their thinking for them.

I'm not picking on Shane or anyone but I've seen the lazy way of doing things for almost 8 years now. Some of my favorites are someone looking for brand lazy website. DUH again , type www.[i]lazy[/i].com and it's there more times than not.

Now the scary stuff ... If anyone is fooling with hydraulics and doesn't know why you shouldn't hook up valves in series then they have no buisness messing with hydraulics. Hydraulics can get them seriously injured and I'm not talking a bloody knuckle either. I've seen a guys thumb sliced right off his hand by a busted hose with to much pressure in it.

... and back to the other day on Charlie's slipping belt problem ... since I have CRS worse than Charlie I can't name names BUT who ever said they seen someone use a sharp knife on a RUNNING belt ... That was at the top of stupidity to do that and ranks at the top of stupidity to be posted here too. A friend of mine lost his index finger in a running belt once.

It all amounts to this - IF you don't have any common sense or are to dense to "think" , stay in the house. A point to prove it > Do you know WHY mowers now have a blade kick out when you go in reverse? It's because some guy had his head up his ass and was mowing and backed up over his grandkid and didn't know it UNTIL he emptied his bagger.

Charlie - empty your email box ... here comes more "Kentuck hate mail" - they need to send it to me but I guess I'm to much for them.

How can we expect people to learn if we don't teach them? I'm worried most about the people who won't ask a question for fear of being seen as dumb. A straight-forward answer to a straight-forward question is what keeps people from getting themselves hurt. Common sense is nothing more than the ability to remember what you've already been taught and apply that knowledge correctly.

Latest posts

Back