• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 07, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elincoln

displayname
Edward H Lincoln
Thanks for the pictures. I have the grill but is is very rusty, held on by 1 spring hook and some wire. The grill was cad plated?

Edward, yes I believe the grill would have been cad plated. Plain old silver paint from a rattle-can can be very convincing however. At least you have the grill!

greenthumb.gif

Hi all , two comments,
for Don Tanner and Steve B, gosh I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done that. You know you give that bolt just a little more and then it turns easy!!
For Edward, congrats on the 127, it is probably my favorite Cub, I mow all summer and blow snow with it the winter (well just twice this year) very dependable too.

Edward - glad to hear the 127 is running and driving. So it's twice as fast as a JD212? You might have noticed the last time I added "Hot Rod" to your name in my message. There nothing like the smell of the Kohler fumes and the wind in your hair as you're driving your Cub Cadet!!
I'm fairly certain you now officially have the yeller n'white fever.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (even after long rests under Wash. berry bushes)

EDWARD - Yep, those expanded metal grills were Cad plated. Not sure anybody does cad plating anymore due to environmental issues, if they do I bet they really charge a bunch for it.

Think it was Bryan McMeen, one of the co-owners of this forum that used an Eastwood Tin-Zinc plating on a grill and it very closely matches the color & sheen of cad plating.

There's a ROHS compliant clear zinc dichromate plating that very durable, almost as durable as cad plating was and should be more economical. It also has a color & sheen similar to cad plating.

And like KRAIG says, a rattle-can paint job with aluminum paint is close also, and much cheaper.

Denny, ummm, I don't think Bryan ever co-owned the forum... He is a moderator however.
1a_scratchhead.gif

You might also try Rustoleum silver in the "Hammered" finish. I have had good luck using the "hammered" finish products on items where a single color/finish/sheen looks "faked" and I need some depth to break up the mono-chrome look, especially on parts like a grill that break up the finish and hide the full-on hammered effect. The plating would have had some slight color variation.

KRAIG - I stand corrected, I thought He & Bob started this forum together.

Harry,
The water ran out of the full plug not the drain plug.I just thought there was an excessive amount of water in the diff.There must have been a quart or so.

Daniel C - dang, that much water ran out of the "fill" plug on the back of the differential cover of your gear drive unit!!! That is scary. Sounds to me like it may have never ever been opened or had the fluid changed. I've removed the drain plug and had about a quart of water come gushing out. If your's had a quart of water above the fill plug level then you are really lucky. There wouldn't be much more room for "freezing or ice expansion". I certainly hope you used HyTran for your re-fill. You did mention everything look good inside - it's amazing the quality of the design and build especially the differential for this tractors. I believe it's really why these tractors are still in service. It's my understanding the differential is the same one that was used in the Cub and Cub LoBoy Tractors, and there are many of those still around as well.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and their bigger brothers don't either)

HARRY - Yes, the transmission & diff are the same in a GD CC as a Cub & Cub LoBoy. The CUB used a direct drive input from the engine into the transmission while the CC starting with the 70/100 used the 7:1 gear reduction. The CC's actually put more torque thru the top shaft of the tranny than the Cub did. The Cub's of course had the gear reduction in the drop housings at the ends of the axle carriers. The transmissions in the CUB only saw engine RPM, 1400 to 1800 RPM depending on vintage & model, while the GD CC's saw seven times the torque the engine produced. IH was a little conservative only putting a 12 HP engine in GD's, but MTD put a 18 HP Kohler in their model 1806 with a creeper no less.

Only garden tractor with a drive train that compared to the CC was the Economy Power King, and it was sized closer to the CUB than the Cub Cadet.

Daniel-

If you have water coming out of the fill plug, the whole thing is probably full of water. Water is more dense than oil, so it should be on the bottom of the trans, so that could be all that's in there
eek.gif

Thanks for the help on the questions. I already bought a 1 gal can of iron gard federal yellow a week ago for $58 from the local Case dealer. Now if it would warm up, I would start taking it apart. My son likes the hydro also, he had a S eating grin when he drove it around.

EDWARD - You better buy at least one more Cub Cadet to use up all that Federal Yellow. Properly thinned, two quarts of yellow paint should cover your 127. A quart of 935 white does the hood & wheels.

Back when I worked at the FARMALL Plant in Rock Island, IL, the maintenance dept used Cub Cadets to do everything from mow the grass, push or sweep snow, and the real constant job was hauling trash. They made trash wagons from 4 ft X 8 ft sheets of 3/16" and 1/4 inch steel plate four pivoting steel casters, and a "quick hitch" front and back. When those carts were loaded, heaped up with everything from broken shipping pallets, cardboard boxes, empty coffee cups, etc, they would only hook two up behind a 12-14 HP Hydro CC to pull them the whole length of the plant to empty them. Empty they would pull three thru the plant, but you'd see four at a time on the road down the "Riverbank" behind the plant. Getting them moving was never a problem on dry conditions.... stopping them they'd have to plan ahead. The 4-5 CC's they had got run at least one, sometimes two 8 hr shifts a day like that.

I got to know the Manager of the Mainenance repair shop really well. We got to talking about CC's one day, he said the older GD CC's used to have clutch & brake issues towing loads like that on a constant basis, but once they got hydro's in the plant the repairs to them almost totally stopped.

Because they ran like the Post office, in good weather, rain, snow, wind, etc they had some pretty fancy front-to-back fenders and frt bumpers. TOUGH little tractors!

Denny,

I to remember seeing the Cub Cadets running around the Farmall plant hauling those oversized, noisy trash carts during my only visit there back in the summer of 1971. I remember they got used hard with frequent stops/starts and most times running at WOT. I remember it vividly because I have always had a fondness for Cubbies in my heart since I got to unpack and set up many of them at our family owned IH dealership and we used them to mow the grass/weeds on our machinery lots. They were just my size as a kid growing up!

I thought it was neat to see IH using their own products to keep the Farmall factory humming along. Only thing I can't remember for sure is what models they were using at that time. I keep thinking they were 100's and I'm fairly certain they were gear drives. The 6/7 or 8/9 series would have been the more current production models at that time but they weren't using them. My folks and I also got a tour through the East Moline plant that same day but I don't remember seeing any Cub Cadets over there. However, I do remember seeing them stamping the foot rest plates for the 8/9 series on one of the presses near the beginning of the combine assembly line and not too far away from the big stamping/cutting machine that would take the raw steel sheets or rolls and cut it to stock sizes for the all the sheet metal parts made there. They were stamping the foot plates to add the raised grip pattern on the plates and the four fastener holes.

Edward "Hot Rod" Lincoln - there's a 127 available over in Wenatchee. Appears to be in a little better shape than yours - don't think it's been sitting under a berry bush. And since you already have a gallon of the Federal Yellow you should be all set to get it. Glad to hear your son was having some fun as well. You do need to be a little careful how quickly you move that hydro lever back and forth. It can nearly thro you off.

Dennis - how much different is the hydro rearend then from the GD? (I suppose I should read that section in the Service Manual that describes the whole Hydrostatic Theory - I thought it was interesting they would put that in the manual).

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and at one time Hydros were outselling GDs 9:1)

Harry; Have you ever been to Salem, Ore? Steve Johnson has several CC on craigslist as well as a
bunch of other tractors. His son said there is 500 garden tractors. I have been down there twice.I could post a couple pictures in the off brand tractors but I don,t even know what the strang things are. I usually watch cl over all of Wa. and Ore.

Edward "Hot Rod" Lincoln - yes I know Steve. Haven't been to his place in Salem but I've been to the Great Oregon Steam-up (also called the Brooks Annual Steam-up) twice and been awarded 2 Blue Ribbons by Steve for my 169. That was a few years back. You should have your 127 ready by late July and enter it. They have a nice long parade for everyone to enter. They even had a tractor pull for Garden Tractors if you want to give it a try. I should try to make the trek down to see Steve's place and check out his CC items as well as what might be considered "stange but true". Are you heading that way anytime soon?

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

RON - We've discussed Farmall here together before, your visits would have been before my time there, I was still in HS in '71, but started there in the shop in the fall of '76.

Those trash carts were noisy, steel wheels on the concrete floors or the 4"x6" wood blocks set on end and covered in tar in the heavy traffic ares like the main aisle thru the center of the plant!

By '76 the switch to Hydro's was complete, but you're correct, they were mostly all older models, think they were all WF's, 129/149's & a couple Q/L's.

I worked @ E.Moline for six weeks being a helper on an 8 ft Cincinatti metal cutting shear in the steel stores out next to the river bank in back, started there in Jan '77 till March. When they'd open the big truck doors to let semi's with steel in/out I could see Bettendorf across the river. One night I remember the Forman walking around pouring water on out lifts of steel sheets and timing how long it took to freeze, normally 4-5 seconds, it was about 25-35 degrees where I worked. We'd make BIG sheets of steel into small strips on out shear, start with 4 ft X 8 ft sheets and make 8 ft strips only inches wide.

At FARMALL the ambulance was on an IH pickup chassis, the fire truck was an IH R-series, the big end loader for feeding coal to the power plant in back for most of the plant's electricity, and all it's steam, hot water & compressed air was loaded with an IH Hough end loader, plus the tractors used to tow the tractors out of the plant to the west yard after they were driven off the end of the finish line, and then down to Kohler Releasing (not related to Kohler engines) were ALL big Hydro's, H100, H966/1066's. They all had cabs, and a full rack of ten 100# suitcase weights PLUS the added bracket with a full set of 4100-series frt weights under the suitcases. The 3-pt top link was replaced with a big hyd cylinder, about 4" bore X 8" stroke and a little lift platform with a pivoting saddle caught the underside of the frt axle, they could raise the frt of a new tractor off the ground and tow it around like a 2-whl cart. And the guard force all drove Scouts. IH had a real nice lease program for Managers & Supervisors, they could lease a brand new Scout every 3 yrs for about a third of what the purchase payments would have been. I suspect 75% of the eligible people leased them. Typically they were "Loaded", 345 V8, A/T, power everything, tilt, cruise, A/C, and the FUNKIEST Plaid upholstery known to man!

FARMALL was a GREAT place to work. I had my Management Interviews the last day or two before the end of the Big Strike in '79/'80. If the Ag equip. market hadn't tanked so bad I'd have been a Forman.

HARRY - On the hydro & GD rearends, they both have the six mounting bolts in the same locations, so a hydro rearend bolts into a GD frame & vice-versa, but linkages for brakes & speed control are different. The input to the hydro pump is in the same relative position as the input shaft into the reduction housing of the GD.

The rear axle carriers are the same, as is the differential and all it's components. But there's a gear reduction in the hydro's to lower the speed coming out of the hydro going to the diff. so ahead of the diff itself the hydro is totally different. The sectioned view in the service manual shows it very well.

Dad gave me a 123 chassis & rearend that he bought for spare parts many years ago when he gave me the old #70. The 123 has needle roller bearings on the outer ends of the axles while the 7 HP GD's all had plain bushings. When I swapped the K321 into the #72 I put those 123 axle carriers on the 72. I had the new bushings for the old worn 72 carriers but wanted the bearings, the tractor does roll easier. I'd put the new bushings in the 70 but they aren't worn NEAR as much as the 72's were, the outer seals don't even leak yet! I know how many thousands of acres that 70 has been over in it's life.... kinda makes me wonder how many MORE acres the 72 went over before I bought it in spring of '81. It was only 13 yrs old at the time, must have NEVER cooled off all summer to roll over that much ground!

Back