Archive through March 07, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig - Oh Great One, Keeper of the Photos - so Bill says that's not him in the pic. Where's the pic with Bill?

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and their Scout cousins are around too)

I've been running the 127 around with a junper wire from the battery to the coil and another to the solenoid. I pulled the ignition switch and cleaned the 3 post and removed the wires from the 3 prong connector and cleaned them, now the switch works.
Harry: I posted some pictures that I took last Sept of Steves tractors in the off topic tractor section.

Bill J.,
Being the owner of a 1650 and been to a few plow days with it, I have only 1 word for the experience, FUN. Yes it has more than enough power to plow in just about any soil type. It will even plow at speeds pushing 7 mph when you have a slightly modified 14 hp gear drive plowing behind you in 3rd gear. This speed is not recommended for normal plowing. The transmission is pretty much bullet proof with care and proper maintenance. All you need is a rear lift, a sleeve hitch adapter, and of course the plow.

So I did a search on moldboard plows and found some dialog and pics. One of the thing that I found interesting is the modified coulter that a couple of guys were using. Rather than round, they were serrated. I gather these modified coulters handle trash build-up better?

If I remember correctly, the biggest problem I had when plowing sod with my moldboard plow was a chunk of sod wedging between the plow and coulter.

I'm wondering if a coulter mod is something I should do.

Dennis - your comment about the moldboard plow finding it's own depth peaked my interest. I downloaded the manual for my plow and that's pretty much what it says too (Brindly 10" plow). You can adjust the point vs landside and based on the pitch of that, the plow's depth can be regulated. From what I can tell, the 1650's rear hitch is wider and therefore more stable than the one I use on my other color tractor. It will be interesting to see how the Cub does with this plow.

On another note - one thing I forgot to mention was that my old Scout had vacuum wipers. Remember those? I think about those vacuum wipers from time to time when I'm using the intermittent wipers on my car. I use to set those vacuum wipers so they would barely move across the windshield to get the same effect!

Thanks again,
Bill

Bill J,
If you have the plow slightly below "level" sucking the plow into the ground and the depth contron set to the correct height the plow is pulling the plow into the ground and putting more down force on the tire = better traction.

Terry G - sorry but your message was short and many of the guys may have overlooked it. There should be something in the FAQ about removing the PTO clutch and the basket pulley. If you don't see it in the initial list then you have to click on "Charlies FAQ" which is link at the top of the Forum FAQ page.
Just to re-confirm what you said - you're already to remove the PTO "bearing and locking collar", and then the "drive or basket pulley" (you already have the PTO clutch pulley removed). I'll provide some of the info but I'm hoping some of the other guys will jump in since it's been several years since I did one of these.

You can use a 2 or 3 jaw puller to remove the bearing BUT before you attempt that you must make sure the locking collar has been "rotated to the un-lock position". Hopefully your basket drive pulley is free on the crankshaft so you can slide it back enough to see the locking collar. Do not slide the basket pulley back anymore than you have to in order to see the collar. Once you can see the collar then you need to rotate the crankshaft until you see a small round indentation in the collar (about the diameter of a pencil eraser). Use a hammer and punch at the point of the indentation to rotate the collar into the unlock position. If I recall correctly you want to rotate the collar in a clockwise direction as you look at the bearing while in the front of the tractor. If the collar doesn't come free after a few hits then I got the direction wrong - try the other way. It should come free pretty quickly. Once it's free you should be able to just move it back off the bearing towards the basket pulley and leave it there until you have the bearing off the crankshaft. Now, before you install your 2 or 3 jaw puller on the bearing itself you need to make sure the crankshaft is free of rust. I recommend some emory cloth or steel wool to brighten it up. The bearing is a fairly tight fit and any little rust will lock it up. Also, make sure there are no burrs, or you'll never get the bearing off. Once you have the crankshaft clean go ahead with your 2 or 3 jaw puller. You should be able to pull that bearing off without any real difficulty. I think I only had one where the case on the bearing separated but I was still able to pull it off by just adjusting the puller jaws. Once the bearing is off you can slide the locking collar off, and you're ready to prep the crankshaft so you can remove the basket pulley. Clean that crankshaft up nice with the emory cloth or steel wool, and absolutely no burrs. Once it's clean I'd coat it with some penetrating oil, and spray some into the pulley itself where it rides the crankshaft. I would not recommend using the 2 or 3 jaw puller for the basket pulley. It will distort the pulley and you probably won't be able to straighten it. At this point I like to very carefully try using some pry bars behind the basket pulley. Make sure you're prying on the center of the pulley and the other part of the bar is against a solid part of the engine block. You need to switch your pry bar from the left side to the right side and work that pulley forward. Hopefully you'll get it to move without to much difficulty. Once you get it forward into the clean area of the crankshaft you should be able to slide it off almost by hand. YOu might have some difficulty with the key in the keyway. I don't recommend pushing the key thru towards the block unless you have the pulley moved forward about an inch. YOu don't want to be pushing the key into the crankshaft seal on the block. And any burr on the key will just cause the pulley to hang up more, so hopefully the key will slide along ith the pulley. I should have mentioned before, but if you're just working over the PTO clutch and or replacing the bearing there is no reason you actually have to remove the basket pulley. You should be able to just slide it back enough to get at the bearing locking collar and leave it there until you have the new bearing and locking collar installed. The only risk with this is using this approach it may be difficult to slide the pulley forward into the correct position once the new bearing is locked on. The crankshaft behind the basket pulley tends to get rusty and the pulley may slide onto this rust out of the way, but be very difficult to move forward again once you are at that point again. If this happens you'll end up removing the new bearing and collar then spraying penetrant again where the pulley rides the crankshaft. Good luck with this. Sometimes it can be a real bear. Now that I gave you the whole story someone else may pop in with a slick trick to removing the basket pulley without bending it.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but their bearing do sometimes get stuck)

Edward L - your pics over in the off topic section didn't post. They may have got hung up because of the archive bug, or the new page that came up. Try posting them again. And remember - top speed of your 127 Hydro should be 8mph. We do give out tickets on here for exceeding the Hydro Limit.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(Speed Limit Hydros 8mph, Gear Drives 6.9mph)

My modified 12" Brinly with high clearance beam, notched rolling cutter, and 30# of weight. I can pull this at 5-6 mph and +8" deep, at those speeds and depths the 30# makes the plow much easier to adjust and pull (flatter point = less draft, better furrow)

your_image.gif

your_image.gif

Latest posts

Back