• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through June 23, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that the spindle was already quite worn because of a bad bearing. As a matter of fact, it was worn about 2/3 through. Let's all go out tonight and check our steering spindles??
happy.gif
happy.gif

CHARLIE - Don't know why IH used a dowel pin in the coupler between the engine & drive shaft but they did. They used spirol pins at the back of the shaft.
1a_scratchhead.gif

If your steering spindle looks like this:
259859.jpg

259860.jpg

you just might have a problem.
happy.gif
happy.gif

David, it may fit a model 86 (8 hp). I have one and it looks like the filter on it.

Got the 50" deck on my 1250 all leveled. When I mow it seems to scalp a little on the right side. It looks like when I lower the deck (with hydraulics) the lift pushes down a little more after it hits the stop. Could this be because there is an adjustable link on both sides instead of just the right?

Do-Da:
I don't know about the deck. He was done mowing when this tragic event happened. I'll find out next time he mows! He's one of the reasons I feel it's hard to sell one of these old beasts to someone who doesn't appreciate them for any more than a lawn mower. So far this year he's called for a PTO belt (didn't have), a mule drive pulley (his came off and he mowed over it- I had one) and this spindle situation. I made a mistake in calling it the Right Hand spindle. It was the Left Hand side which sells for $170-$218.
bash.gif
happy.gif

P.S. Now I'm waiting for the day that he calls and says "the engine blew" so I can tell him what it's going to cost to fix THAT and buy it back for CHEAP.
asthanos.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Frank C - I've read of front axles on these IHCC's breaking from time to time and your front spindle post. I'm on the fence with my 122, keeping it and eventually plugging an engine in what's left of the rolling chassis (there's something appealing about that all steel dash...
baldguy.gif
). When I look over the 122, I'm thinking that front axle sure looks like the one in the 126. Hope I never have to replace a front axle or spindle, but I might have a spare in the 122.

Harry B - I'll try to post some pics tomorrow of the subframe on the 122 mower and front blade.

Doug A - I doubt your problem is due to adjustable links on each side. Sounds as tho you have "down pressure" on your hydraulic lift, and you need to remove the pin for that in order to have "float mode" for mowing. If you have the operator manual I'm pretty certain it's descirbed in there (at least how to install the lock pin, and removal should basically be the reverse).

Frank - I sure hope no one's steering spindle looks like that!!! Where's the grease????
And besides - I'm really having difficulty understanding what you mean by steering spindle compared to your pic. Do you mean the pin in the front axle holding it to the frame? Or are you talking about the left front wheel spindle? (Could it be a difference in those east coast terms vs. the Midwest?)

Bill J - I was getting worried about you. I had sorta figured you were cobbling up something to make it work. We'll be waiting on the pics so we can figure this all out correctly (and don't be surprised if there are 2 ways to skin the cat).

Harry: My bad terminology. #6 and #7 LH and RH STEERING KNUCKLES.
259899.gif
happy.gif

Just dropping in from watching my Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup. Atta' way boys!

Harry B - not to get off topic, but...

When I was growing up, we did a fair amount of hunting, deer, rabbits, squirrel, etc. I use to skin a squirrel by cutting it across the back and peeling the skin towards the head and tail from the center - it was a quick way to get the skin off.

Fast forward to college and anatomy class. We had a lab and had to skin a cat! A buddy of mine and myself were a two man lab team. This guy was a hunter too and as such, we completely ignored the lab instructions on how to skin the cat. Like a squirrel, we cut that thing across the back, he got on one end of the cut and me on the other. After a quick yank, the cat was without any skin and/or fur. The lab was supposed to take a couple of hours to skin the cat. We were done in about 2 minutes. The lab instructor came by and was surprised how quickly we finished. We told her - there's more than one way to skin a cat!!! LOL!

CUB CADET CONTENT:

Just for kicks - quick question: I am going to be using my 109 for some brush spraying chores. Got a sprayer tank/pump from TSC that runs off a 12V battery. It doesn't have a trailer - as I'm to cheap to pay that much for one. I plan on mounting it to a piece of plywood and strapping it to my other color trailer to be towed by the 109. The question is - why would I use the 109 vs the 126 for spraying chores????

Chicago Blackhawks rule the ice

Now we need a IH Cub Cadet hydro zambonie/149

Jeff B. - The tail lights on the 149 are not factory, a PO either changed or added two lights. They are close to the size of the depressions in the metal work but not an exact fit.

Donald T - I will take another picture of the PO mod to the lift, the tractor came with a blade (same size as the one from my 72). It appears that a piece broke and the PO did some welding and then added an extension to allow use of the front blade.

Dave: This is funny! That diagram is misleading!
259902.jpg

Left side is as you're sitting in the seat, isn't it?
cubwinker.gif

Frank (and Dave) - "The diagram is misleading"? Well, at least I now understand. And for what it's worth - your pic shows you "holding his shaft in your hand"
biggrin.gif

Bill J - ya, I've seen the fast method before. No reason to use the slow method. What did you and your friend do for the rest of the 2 hours?

Doug A,

Check the spirol roll pins common to the deck lift arms and rockshaft. The pins may be deformed from a overload if you got your deck high centered at some time and need to be replaced. The deformed roll pin(s) will allow the lift arm to rotate a small amount after the rockshaft hits your stop for fixed cutting height and the hydraulic lift cylinder is no longer applying lift force in the float position. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back