• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 17, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<font color="0000ff">Millermatic 210!</font>
19679.jpg

Arr, arr, arr.....
happy.gif

Art -- where'd ya get it at someplace local ? Send me the details ie ... duty cycle , OCV , spool size , primary amp draw , kick back from Miller for keeping them in business ...

Frank
wave.gif
-- nice Dodge
roflol.gif

I hope that IH wiesel injun does better than when ferd ran them. A guy I use to weld a lot for had one and it had to have the block heater plugged up in the summer ! When you comin to see me again ? I got a new cub now that they wont let me talk about on here
talker.gif

Some of the complaining about people asking about "off topic" tractors seems kinda strange. Maybe they don't know it's off topic until they ask.
Kraig has the right idea, try to guide them to the right forum without the sarcastic remarks.
Bill

I only hear one person really complaining loud, and to complain of OT is the pot calling the kettle black.

I've been thinking about putting a straight pipe on my 128. Is there some optimal length for it? And if I can't find a long piece of muffler pipe around here would a really, really short one (about 12 in.) be okay?

Thanks!

Under edit:

Ryan M.-
lol.gif

(Message edited by mgonitzke on June 19, 2004)

Only OT tractors I REALLY bitch about is the 1100 and the 76/82/etc.
lol.gif

BTW, have I mentioned that the 169 and a 42" deck is an EXCELLENT bushhogging setup? Yeehaw!!!

Bill G. -

Says right at the top of this page what's on topic and what isn't (as well as numerous other places around the site). So IF THEY READ THAT, they would know what's on topic and what's not and there would be no need to rag on anyone
wink.gif

Bryan,
You'd bitch if you were hung with a new rope! That's just you! It's also part of the job description ain't it!
biggrin.gif

Matt-
There is an optimum length somewhere, but the gain would likely be minimal. The "better than a guess" way would be to start out with a short pipe with another that would sleeve over it, run the tractor at the working RPM and slide adjust the two pipes so that the sound is loudest.

Figuring the length takes into account the temperature (density) of the air, the valve size, RPM, port size, cam duration, etc. About enough that the only sure way is to tune the pipe on a dyno.

(Message edited by wcompton on June 19, 2004)

Wyatt-

I think Dave Kirk posted awhile back that the right length should be about 22". Do you (or does anyone else) remember that, or did I imagine seeing that?

Ryan-
I think you might be thinking of the method for putting in an exhaust crossover on a dual exhaust system, the area of discoloration will vary on the total length of the pipe.

A quick question for the pros, I am about to paint my k161 block the cub yellow from the dealer. Will this paint resist heat on the block or how do I keep yellow paint on these hot areas? Thanks

Ryan,

Nice IH truck......I have always had a soft spot for the mid 70's IH pickups....but never have had the courage to buy an IL one (RUST). Looks like you have a sharp one there.

Pipe length.....

I have always heard that the best way to cut a header pipe or Zoomie to length is to draw a line on the side of it with a crayon and fire it up........where the crayon burns off first is where you cut. This is very similar to Ryan's method.

It has always been mentioned in conversations like this......."for lack of a dyno or any other way, the best way to get it close is to......."

I personally have never had a need to try/use that method.......YMMV, IMHO, blah, blah, blah....

On the exhaust length
"The best way to determine where to put the Crossover pipe is to take some spray paint and paint a section about 2-3 feet back from the collector. Start the motor and let it run for just a short time. While motor is running watch to see the point at which the paint doesn't burn off anymore. The paint will discolor further back, but the point at which the paint doesn't burn off is where you want to place your Crossover. Match the size of the Crossover to the size of your existing pipe."

In looking for information on this, you'll find MANY MANY folks that have said they've heard that it works, but nobody that's tried it and had dyno or strip numbers to back it up. Personally I think the method is BS and more of a myth than anything.

Ya know,I'm just curious. Is there anyone here who would buy a USED piston and rod from some scrotum on eBay and actually install it in an engine? Anyone? Anyone? Another question. Who is this guy from Kingston MI and has anyone ever bought anything from him? He has alot of Cub stuff all of the sudden. Frankly,I'm f*cking tired of him. Anyway,some guys have more time to post here than others....later

Steve -- on the mid '70's IH pickups , have you ever rode in one ? I worked at a car rental in Louisville in 74 and we had a new (74) 1/2 ton IH and it rode like a buckboard on the highway. My great uncle had a dodge 3/4 ton with 8 ply tires that rode smoother. When we had to deliver cars to people I always tried to hold out for the 74 Nova 350
happy.gif
or the 74 SE Charger 383. I use to drive by the IH plant (1/2 mile from car rental) and see them sitting out front on strike. I guess that was about the begining of the end for them there.

A guy I use to build log houses with had a 4x4 mid - late 70's IH 3/4 ton with a utility bed on it and he'd haul a full pallet of 3/4" plywood on it. I never rode in it but that sucker sure would carry a load.

My ol fishin / hunting buddy had a 79 Scout that sure got you there and back. Even pulling my bass boat south of Knoxville it got pretty good gas mileage with I think a 348 or something around there. Except the night he put diesel in it by mistake
roflol.gif

On the exhaust pipe length , it needs to be long enough to hold some back pressure and heat to keep from burning the valve ... whatever length that is ... ie ... put something in the hole !

Bryan -- my 127 / 42" makes a good bush hog too until you run a tree up into the mule drive and break the belt.

I mowed the front yard today with my <font size="+2">OT</font> cub and the grass had grown 6 - 8" in a week ! Two years ago I got away with mowing every 2 weeks. Some of this grass has 3/4" wide blades.

KENtucky, in the interest of keeping the NAACP off your back, I'm thinking you meant to say "Little Niagara of the South"??

Don't know about the IH pickups, but I test-drove several used '70s Travelalls some years back and thought seriously about buying one. I wish now that I had. They rode like Cadillacs! Very, very smooth, and the steering was really nice - the turning radius was amazingly tight for something that size. I know a guy who has 3 of 'em now, someday when I have some extra $$$ I'm gonna try real hard to talk him out of one of them.

Richard C., I have a 42" deck that's about the same series as that 38" you're working on. I bought a replacement baffle to put on it (not yet installed), and you're right, it's mighty flimsy and doesn't stand up as tall as the blades. Still, even without baffles, my 42" deck outcuts the 44" I've been using lately. Don't know what's up with that...

Kenny M -- I thought I did spell it right ... but I see that I didn't get all the "a" keys pressed. I do that sometimes typing fast.
I don't think the NAACP would have a leg to stand on while I'm sitting here watching tv thinking how good lookin Gina Torres is !
happy.gif
<sub>just don't get Squeeky on me</sub>

Oh and on the baffle height , I should have spoke up when RC asked opinons but I didn't want to be on topic so I let it slide but ... I was thinking once about making the baffles on my 42" higher since it cuts so bad but then I got to wondering if the grass would be able to stand back up enough fast enough to get cut ... ????
Something about 42" decks and my grass don't jive , even the new cub wont cut the tops off my white clover and leaves alot of grass standing.
I gotta try some Gators sometime but they are known for mulching , I don't know if they would have any better vacum effect or not. I've not been able to find any high lift blades yet for the 2166 just the mulchers. They have a stupid size too , 21.2 inches.

(Message edited by kweaver on June 20, 2004)

Dunham:
Yup, I know of one person who would install a used piston, rings & rod in an engine. I've got an old college friend who knows I play with Cubs call me up and ask if I had any used engine parts laying around here, specifically a piston, rings & rod for a 14hp. I told him I did, but it was a +.020 over piston. Well, as it turns out, the 14hp in their Dad's 1450 was a (more shot than mine) +.020 with the ring land burned pretty bad.

Well, to make a long story short, out he came and away he went........... Pathetic, to say the least. Since I'm such a nice guy, I did tell him to point the oil hole in the rod cap toward the cam.

The quick answer is: They're out there!
Keith

Latest posts

Back