• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 17, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started in high wet grass today. All fine until fifteen minutes in I started to hear a constant increase in LOUD. No decrease in cutting action or ability to move but the engine seemed to need to work harder and certainly when the throttle was applied the sound level increased. I don't have a sound pressure meter but it was ear hurting. I think that I blew a muffler or perhaps it disconnected. In any case the engine was too hot to do a search so drove it to the garage and logged on here instead. The tractor is 1974, 1450. Anyone ever kill a muffler? Is it difficult to replace a muffler? Did running it back to the garage damage it? Did no/reduced back pressure hurt the Kohler? Any other thing I should look at as I start to pull stuff apart in daylight? The parts are identified as 751-3029 for the muffler assembly but there are parts: 710-3100 Screw 5/16 x 18 x 5/8 Znd Hex Head, 736-0159 Washer .344 x .875 x 16 Ga, and 736-3007 Washer 5/16 Int Ext Tooth Lock Znd also listed. (not part of the assembly?) Any different than hardware store hardware?

Keith: re your 1450 busted axle. I did the same to my 149 a few years ago and had it welded. Haven't had a problem with it since. Then again, I now avoid driving uncontrollably into boulders.

Dave-
70...on the water??? Come on, what'cha got in that thing, a HEMI??? Seriously, as you know, anything over 60 on the water normally takes exponentially more money for each mph, so you must have one hot boat!

anyone on here have a tandem brinly disc??? if so could you tell me how it performs??? thinking about getting one but wanted a little info before i shell out the bucks....
thanks

Ben- I have one and don't have any complaints. It takes a little more time to break up sod, and you have to add a little weight for that. I like it. Just my opinion.

thanks Jerry!!
do you think it possible for me to pull the disc with my 4wheeler?? both my '70 127 CC, and my '66 110 JD both are under construction currently and i'm trying to get a garden spot cleared, worked, and ready for next year...

Ben- You shouldn't have a problem pulling it w/the 4-wheeler. I can pull it through a firmer mixture of dirt w/the Ih 682 with 200lbs on it...but wet soft sand I could only have 20lbs and had to have the front lifted a little. I think Agri-Fab makes on that is a little heavier, more for a wheeler, but more expensive.

Gary, I've killed a muffler or 2 on my Cub Cadets over the years. Yes it will be much louder. I do not believe that a decrease in back pressure will hurt a Kohler but then I'm not an expert. It is not at all hard to replace a muffler, except, perhaps on your pocket book. :eek:) The hardest part would be if the parts are rusted together. Check with one of the forum sponsors for a muffler, see the colorful links at the top of the page.

I'm baccccccck ! It only took 2 hours to get from putting the boat on the trailer to the house ... all eleven miles of it ! I'm beat !

19641.gif

just marking where I left off reading ;)

Kraig, if a deacrease in back pressure was bad, no one would run header pipes on their cubs.

Just a thought.
happy.gif

Hello Kenny Weimann
Do you have any info on the orange mass show?
I may go. What type of show is it.
I am about an hour and a half away, if you mean Orange Massachusetts. That's practically next door for you midwest guys.
Thanks john

Well no one commented on my question about the height of the baffels on the 38 inch mower deck. I don't see what good they do when they are only 1 1/4 inch and the mower blades are running at 2 inches. I decided to change them today.

Started here, cut the old ones off, they were kind of flimsy anyway, probably only about 1/16 th inch thick.

19648.jpg

Formed some new baffels out of 1/8 x 2 inch steel. Used everything from a 55 gal drum to the base of my drill press to bend the metal to make it fit the contour of the blades. Left about 1/4 inch between the blades and the baffel.

19649.jpg

Got some use out of the mig.

19650.jpg

Baffels installed and painted with Wally World truck bed liner, had a lot of people tell me it works good so I am going to give it a whirl. Baffels now same height as the blades.

19651.jpg

On the left side blade I brought the baffel all the way around to the front in a circle to block any discharge to that side. Hopefully I won't get any build up on that side.

19652.jpg

I'm thinking about building a small downward baffel on the output shute like the 44a and 50 inch decks have. There must have been some engineering before they built them. I'm thinking that if you pick up a rock the upward draft of the blades will probably shoot the rock out the discharge side and it will probably be traveling along the top of the underside of the mower deck so a small baffel at the discharge that is directed downward may help. Any thoughts about that???

Hey Kenny,

I was thinking of the Orange show until my wife planned a camping trip with another family in Maine. I guess I'll keep saying "next year." Sort of goes with being a Sox fan anyway.

Hey John Sirois, I'm right up the road from you in Amesbury.

Jim

Hi Art!

Not a hemi... it's a Chev 250 inline six... 10:1cr, electronic ignition, fuel injection, full roller valvetrain, pushing 1.5:1 gears into a 25 pitch prop, bouncing off the rev limiter (5000), it sits at about 72mph.

Yep, it suprises the heck out'a the offshore-racer-boat and bassboat bunch...

Richard,

I would NOT add the 44/50" style deflector to the discharge chute on that 38". The stamped end decks usually have a problem clearing heavy grass because of the full length runner under the discharge....anything further restricting air/grass flow out the discharge will probably yeild clumping and plugging in heavy grass...BTDT without any extra deflectors.

If you must add a deflector, make it removeable like the 44/50 units are.

FWIW, my yard got long last week due to the roofing activity on the house and shed. When I finally got around to mowing it (with the 169 and the freshly rebuilt 44") I made one pass and yanked the discharge deflector off.....too much restriction and clumping. Honestly, it will probably never go back on...and that's the reason you never see them on used decks, they got pulled the first week of their life and hung on a hook in the garage - only to be pitched 4 years later during a move/garge cleaning.

AND...WOW what an eatin' machine a 169 with a GOOD 44" deck (w/Gators) is!!!!!!!!.....had it only been a 7hp I'm sure I could have mowed 12" grass in at least 2nd gear!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
.....seriously, that is one hot mowing rig (even if it does vibrate a little bit).

Oh, and nice job on the baffle fabrication!!!!!!

Charlie,

Where is that plow at???? I was just talking with Robb K. and he's pretty sure it's a fire-break plow....any other info for us????

Let's see, what model Cub would you pull that with?????........a 12<font size="+2">D8</font>

Latest posts

Back