• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 09, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wes,
No one ever said I could read,
bash.gif

No problem Charlie. Just couldn't figure out how the inside could be larger than the outside.

After finishing mowing this weekend and on the way back to the barn, my 107 started spewing white oil smoke from the front. I shut it right down and determined that (I think) the front crank seal came loose - causing oil to escape and be sprayed onto the hot exhaust.

Here is a photo of what I found:

http://www.geocities.com/scoostraw/cadetseal.JPG

I pushed the seal back into place using a small prybar, but it went back in WAY too easy. So I plan to replace it.

What exactly is involved in removing the front PTO clutch and engine pulley? This is a 10hp Kohler engine.

I tried to upload the photo here but it was not working...

KENNETH - Frt PTO on a 107 should be covered in one of the FAQ's. Two setscrews in each of the three holes (six total) on the clutch pulley, then a setscrew on the eccentric locking collar on the PTO bearing.... small hammer & punch on the collar and the bearing & collar should slide off.... a light lubricant like WD-40, PB-Blaster, Kroil, may help...and maybe a pulley/bearing puller. Then the starter/generator pulley should slide off the same way after the two setscrews are removed. Pry bar & lubricant may help also. On the crankshaft seal wipe a thin layer of RTV around the outside of the seal and some grease or oil around the inside lip. Clean the rust and any dents off the crankshaft with sandpaper and/or file and wipe off any abrasive grit & metal dust. Check the sealing surface of the crankshaft for a groove worn in the surface from the old seal. If the PTO clutch & pulley have been off recently they should slide off somewhat easily.

Waytt.
To tell the truth I have no idea what was done to the motor befor I got it. This is the first I have had the head off this motor. I have had other motors apart befor and have always seen them stamped STD, 10, 20 or 30. Never with an A.

I have looked through my Kohler manual and have found that I should have 12V goint to the points. My multi-volt reader is only showing 2.4V and I have a very weak spark at the points.

Question, what would cause this?

I am thinking weak coil or condencer, would I be correct? I have found nothing in the manual (downloaded from the web) about weak spark at the points.

Paul W- whats the spec. number of that CH20?. ill do some checking for you. T

Heh, I didn't even really read the message, I just saved the pictures to my computer to view before I head to the store.

I would have figured it out Charlie, but that to Wes as well. :p

I have a couple of questions for some of the narrow frame experts. I am in the process of rebuilding a 147 and would like to add a safety switch to the PTO control linkage, would someone please give me some advice on installing it. I have an idea in mind but would like to hear from others. My Second question is about the spring, item 23 in the PTO parts breakdown. This tractor did not have one when I bought it and I have no idea where it is installed, I can't find any signs of wear if it was ever on the tractor TIA.

David C.
Do you want this switch to interupt starting of the engine if the PTO is on?
If so, it will need to be ran thru the foot switch. You will need a NC switch (normally closed) and a place to mount it.
This switch will be open if the PTO lever is on and closed if the lever is off.

I believe the foot switch is NO.

You may have to get creative for a place to mount it!

David C,

Late production 1X8/9's had just such a safety switch installed for the PTO. It was a very simple set up. They used the same switch as the brake/foot switch and are both normally open (NO) switches. The PTO switch was wired in series with the foot switch so that the circuit to engage the Starter/Generator for starting was completed with the foot pedal depressed, the PTO lever in the off position and the key switch in the start position of course. The PTO switch was mounted via an angle bracket on the inside RH side of the steering/control tower. A simple flat spring was attached to the PTO shaft running through the tower and would close the switch when the PTO lever was in the off position. The end of the flat spring that attached to the PTO shaft was bent to wrap half way around the shaft and it was held in place with a roll pin, the same way as the spring on the foot switch is held on. Hope this helps.

David C.

Here is a picture of the Switch and flat spring paddle Ron S. mentioned. It is in a later model 108 steering tower I'm taking apart. I have an early 129 that does not have this setup.

36087.jpg

Thanks Kyle. Everyone, feel free to ask the seller about his description and cut-away picture
wink.gif

I wonder if it's just summer around here or if everyone switched to decaf...
coffee.gif
ZZZZzzzz<font size="-2">zzzz</font>

Well, it's not summer until tommorrow. And by the way........The mailman brought our "Fall and Winter" catalog from J.C. Penny today. Probably start getting Christmas catologs soon too.

Matt,Ron R & Jerry
Thanks for the fast responses, I do want the switch to prevent the engine from starting with the PTO engaged.I was hoping someone had built a bracket for the same purpose. I may have to take some things back apart to install a mounting bracket.I honestly never thought of that switch until I was installing the new wiring harness and realized it only had one safety switch. This is my first experience with a narrow frame and this was one was a real clunker when I got it. I can wire it the same as my 149 so that shouldn't be a big hurdle. Thanks again,I will let you know what I finally come up with.

Well, a refreshingly CLEAN and family safe response from an eBayer:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

didnt know i needed to <font color="0000ff">[ask permission]</font>. i'm not selling your text or your picture, sorry if i offended anyone.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote><font size="-1">And another that a member just sent me:</font><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

lol i'm not selling their words its just text and information, i dont think that is against the law<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote><font size="-1">How clueless they can all be...</font>

I have wondered about posting those pictures on an auction. When I am surfing around on eBay I have absolutely no interest in seeing any pictures other than the pictures of the item they are selling. What is the point in posting a cartoon rendering of an item that you are selling. Or a picture of someone else's item that looks similar. Even posting logo pictures is a waste of time. You cant search for the text in the graphics and all you need to do is say who the manufacturer is.

One the other hand maybe eBay surfers are naive and easily lured into bidding when there is a pretty picture that has little to do with the actual product.

Or maybe I am the odd one who just wants the facts.........
dunno.gif

A public service anouncement ( delete if not allowable)

For anyone headed out to the country music fest held in Wisconsin's Chippewa valley.
Keep your speed to the posted limits around the Cadott area, the police like to set up speed traps and you will not see them until it is to late, even your radar detectors will not help, they have some real good spots to sit. A sober driver is also advisable if you leave the grounds and I hear there will be a check point again this year south of the grounds, north of Cadott.

Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your vacation.

Latest posts

Back