• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

DeWitt Michigan. Have 4, always looking for more!!! Wrenching on the 1864 today!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisFriend

Hello
I own a 149, 1200, 1650, and an 1864. The 1650 was my Dad's so that is my favorite! Currently the 1650 is setup (snowplow, chains & windshield fluid in the tires) to plow the sidewalks in the neighbor hood and it sounds like it will get a workout in this weekend.

I picked up the 1864 last spring on the cheap, fixed a few things, and then used it for a backup mower. The power steering is nice. I knew it had an engine oil leak but stalled on getting into it until today. Pretty sure the front crank seal was the problem and boy was it! Funny how the front seal is rearward in the tractor but it kind of makes sense in a traditional engine sort of way. I posted some pictures that show all the crud that has built up.

Anyhow, joined today as I enjoy reading the forum and getting any tips that I can. Order up some parts tomorrow and break out the pressure washer & air nozzle to clean things up.

1864 engine.jpg

1864 shroud.jpg

While you are in there, I would do the PTO end crank seal, both head gaskets, and put in the updated breather cover/gasket kit. That crank seal almost certainly went bad because there is a blown head gasket.

Chris, I appreciate seeing such pics>They are a reminder to the experienced and a lesson to newbies that where you can't see is where the worst accumulation occurs.If an oil leak is certain then the crud is there.The build up reduces engine cooling tremendously and in turn stresses more seals.So many engines are a giant pain to remove shrouds but the pic shows why we should periodically.Mouse nests do the same...

Latest posts

Back