• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 09, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhillegass

displayname
Jerry Hillegass
whistling.gif

It's the weekend. I think I get to pickup a parts 108 tomorrow.

My Cub Cadet dealer told me to use this fluid in my 105 when I changed the filter and old Hy-tran fluid. What he gave me is a Cub Cadet product marked "Hydraulic/transmission Fluid 737-3062". Is this the proper subsitute or replacement for Hy-tran? I am uncertain because nobody has mentioned any part or product numbers and only names of fluids. Ed G.

Edwin- That is the MTD name for HyTran it is the same as HytraUltra but is more spendy at the MTD dealer than going to the CaseIH dealer and buying it from them. I generally take a couple 2.5 gallon jugs and just have my dealer fill them from their bulk container and save some more $$ per gallon.

I thought removing all the carbon from the inside of the 108 Kohler head and valves would solve my stalling problem;but I guess that's not the answer.I was able to mow for about 45 minutes then the motor made a loud knocking noise and stopped dead.I tried to start it again but all it would do is sputter and knock.I found that if I let it sit a few minutes it would start and run only with the throttle way down.I was able to get it back to the barn at slow speed,and then I revved it up and it ran fine for about 15 minutes and the same thing happened again. No backfiring.Smoke came out both the exhaust pipe and the exhaust port under the carburator.(that may be from all the MMO I added to both the gas and the oil) I had already changed the points,plug,condenser,and coil,and sprayed the carb with cleaner.I could find no loose or broken wires.Any ideas of what to look for next?

Bob- re-check the plug at .035" and the point gap at .020". Make sure that the feeler gauge isnt spreading the points to .020" when you check them, and clean them with contact cleaner when you are done. If/When it stalls again, check the resistance of your coil as per previous post. I wouldnt rule out the coil to plug wire- running it at night, especially if its raining, would be a good test. I really think that your ignition is breaking down when the engine gets hot.
ihrotate.gif

Bob,
Adding to craigs suggestion, you could use a timing light to time the tractor properly. Then start mowing again, or do whatever causes it to quit. Keep the timing light on and if it starts to quit pull the trigger and see if the light still flashed. Even better see if its still in time. It sounds like when this happens you cant run the engine very fast. The timing light should verify the ignition system is working.

Well I did get a part tractor today. It was not as good as I hoped for. A 108, but not a repairable project. The PO did not care for this tractor, And some items are gone.

35985.jpg

35986.jpg

The engine and transmission have parts missing. But I did get a repairable 44A deck and a usable mule drive. Yes its rough too, but I think its a project.

35984.jpg

Finally got my new toy up and running. Man is it fun to own a loader!!!!!

I got all of the hoses put on, made some levers for the valve, and finished up some odds and ends on the manure bucket (grab hooks and strengthening angle iron).

After giving it a test, and lifting Little Steven up in the bucket (like I promised), I took it outside for a photo shoot...then took it around back to the (muddy) compost/brush pile.....fun fun toy!!!!

35988.jpg

35989.jpg

35990.jpg

35991.jpg

35992.jpg

35993.jpg

Made the levers using 149/QL handles and 7/16" round stock.
35994.jpg

35995.jpg

35996.jpg

Hey guys, tore into a steering shaft today, I think someone may have been in there before me, there were some missing parts. First of all on the lower ball bearing, 3 of the little balls were missing, and then when I looked at the photo of all the parts in the how to, I noticed two more parts missing (see the arrows) Any advice? I have another steering colum I can tear into, make one good one from the pair, but I'd rather have 2 steering colums if I could.

35999.jpg

Thanks guys,
Chuck

Chuck F,
Those are the bearing retainers. You can get them from you local dealer or the nice sponsers up top of the page. They have a part number of 903-1029 and cost something like 2.50 a piece.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to get a Kohler manual.All I have is the Cub Cadet service manual which is of no help.Both the points and coil were purchased from an IH dealer that sells and services Cub Cadets.So I guess they are the correct parts. I was having this problem before I changed the points (which I did gap at .020) and the coil;so these new parts had no effect. I also just changed the J-8 plug gap from .025 to .035 and it didn't help. I also checked the resistance in the coil which was 1500 between the + & -- posts when cold and 10,000 between the + and center post when hot. I also have a model 128 which runs fine and the coil readings were identical.What else can overheat?? Cleaning the carbon off the head and valves seems to have stopped the backfiring when it stalls. Smoke comes out both the exhaust pipe and port under the carburator when it stalls.I suspect that probably doesn't mean anything. This is getting to be quite a challenge;but it probably has a simple solution. I hope!}

Any ideas on this problem?

My 149 was running great until it suddenly lost power and wouldn't start. After checking everything easy I could think of, I hauled it to the repair shop. He found the valve spring broke, and replaced it. He also changed the throttle speed, saying the top throttle speed was too high. I notice a little difference in the top throttle when I got it back, but nothing significant.

The BIG change was how it bogs down under a load or going up hill. While the engine still sounds strong, the RPM's drop and it acts like it's under a strain. I probably lose 30% of previously available power and comes close to stalling on uphill hauls.

Whatever changed happened when it was in the shop. Could it be as simple as him having set the maximum throttle speed too low, or is there something else that could have happened when the spring was changed that should be considered?

Thanks!

Al

Can someone tell me where the largest plow days event is held,are there any events in the south east

Fred "B",
I'd say the biggest Cub Cadet plow days are held at Travis's and Steve "B"'s.

Bob M.,
10 hp and above Kohlers are supposed to have a H10 plug in them. J8 is for the 7 hp engines. That may make a difference, I am not sure.

Fred B. -

Plow Day dates/times/info is posted in under our Plow Day topic when it gets closer to the actual date. The exact dates aren't usually known far in advance.

Take a peek at our membership map and you should be able to surmise why our plow days tend to be in IA and IL...

Back