Archive through June 02, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right Charles-

We're all on a budget...a cub budget. Sometimes it stings a tad and sometimes it pays so big we don't know how to control ourselves. There are many ways to cut corners and save a buck but the bottom line is the sponsors here are the reason there's a "here".

Charlie, go easy, he's a newbie. He's got the ambition we all respect and admire but he's a newbie. I consider myself a newbie as well in many respects. I hope we all keep thinking that way. There's always room for improvement and learning.

Well thanks for the comments about the 169

I put her thru the paces today by pulling the yard cart and then stepped up to the manure spreader
the plan is giving it break and start some TLC on it, (pics to follow) but so far it's in overall good shape.

I do like the sound the 16 ponies put out

Wyatt that grill looks great

It is nice that one collector can share to another (Thanks again Jerry)

Thanks Tom-
It's about the slowest progressing project ever, since its been on hold for the past 6+ years. New parts and fresh paint are fun!!!!

Wyatt that 123 grill would look good in black crome.
greenthumb.gif

Wyatt,
Mike's right. I've seen the black chrome and it looks Verrrrry cool. Might have to do a 71-123 series to make certain it looks that good.

I was going to, to the point where I was about to call Mike. The stuff looks incredible, I wouldn't know where to stop. I decided to just get it re-plated with the rest of the hardware. If anything else, I know its not going to rust between now and if I ever do have it powder coated.
lazerburn.gif

Hi all,
I just bought my first Cub Cadet. Almost as old as me, a 102 model. Looks like the first item of business is to fix the PTO clutch. Figures the first repair is the one where 5 pages in the repair manual are dedicated to this one small item. I have great respect for a machine where the only plastic is the seat!

Beyond that, I think when they have these lawn tractor contests, they should have to mow and get a good cut in addition to just going fast or pulling a lot of weight. It sure would add a whole new element to the competition.

Later...

Todd MN

Todd a big welcome to the forum and yellow and white fever..

You came to the right place your 102 is a 10hp narrow frame gear drive unit, I only have wide frames but others will chime in, the pto repair is not to hard.

go to the bottom of the main page and click on manuals and you should find what you need.
also our sponsers carry everything you need to run or restore the 102

Todd-

Welcome to a great cub site. I think you'll find you needn't go any further for anything cub cadet. Like Jeff said the pto work isn't very hard. I would like to add that the pto is held on (supposedly) with SIX set screws...two to a hole and three holes. It's mentioned in the manual but I've found people seem to have the hardest time with these screws. Also, to remove these screws the pto has to be lined up with the three slots in the "basket" it sits in. If the pto engaging lever is still working ok then you should be able to pull back and disengage the pto. At this time you might be able to turn the pto by hand to align the holes with the slots. I'd also go ahead and start with some PB Blaster penetrating oil or something similar in all of the holes. Once you have it off be sure and resurface the pressure plates before reassembly. It makes a world of difference.

We all like pictures of anything you're doing on a cub so keep that in mind. It also helps others help you better.

Good luck!

TODD - Welcome to the best IH CC forum on the 'net.

Your comment about garden tractor pulls made me LOL. I'd been to several full scale pulls, before the days of the weight transfer sleds. They used a "Stone Boat", large steel sled that they'd park larger & larger tractors on as the pulling tractors got larger & more powerful, and men standing on each side of the track would jump on to add more weight as the pulling tractor/sled moved down the track.

Then Dad & I heard about a GARDEN TRACTOR PULL. It rained the night before so instead of having the pull on the dirt track at the fair grounds they had it on the concrete street by the Court House. Guy that organized the pull ran a small lawn mowing business and had just bought the first off-topic hydrostatic drive green tractor in the area. Dad & I get to the pull, they used a smaller sled and set weights on the sled, think they were cinder blocks. There was the one green tractor, and about a dozen GD CC's, a Simple tractor or two, and one each of some other off-brands. The town had a real good IH dealer on the east edge of town, so that's why so many CC's. Most of the CC's still had the mower decks under them with grass clippings from mowing that morning. The guy with the new hydro tractor weighed about 250 pounds. The rules for that pull was the classes were set up by TRACTOR weight, not tractor/driver weight. So we watched this new green tractor whine, screech, creep all the way down the track while the kids on their Folk's CC's were divided into two camps. The guys that pulled in 1st gear did the best, all pulled half way or better and spun out. The guys that pulled in 2nd gear all ran out of power just before half way. The concrete was really rough textured so gave excellent grip to the turf tires. There were a couple guys who had weight brackets with lifting weights that did better, but nobody could beat the 250 pound guy that wrote the rules.

On the 682 hydro. How many turns is it til fuel shut valve on the fuel tank is fully opened? I have to really turn it alot til it stops turning. When I do it wont even start on carb cleaner. If I turn just a little it will start on carb cleaner. I fuel pumped is good. I think the carb needs overhauled. Its a kohler kt17 horz shaft.

Hi Todd ~

I want to echo the welcome given to you by others on this site. I am a new Cub Cadet owner too, and have found everyone here to be knowledgeable in the advice and support they have given me. The great thing about this group is that they never judge. They'll help you along, just as they have helped me, with good suggestions and support and understanding of what you are doing.

These little yellow and white tractors are, at least to me, intriguing. They are complex machines. Because I am no mechanic, I am grateful for those who both understand the machine and how it works, and are able to explain in a simple, yet complete way.

I have yet to discover what I am in for, and I hope you enjoy your tractor as I do mine.

Be well.

Brian Wittman

Todd, Is there a problem with the PTO clutch? Or were you just looking for a place to start?

Hey, Todd, Welcome!
WELCOME.gif

I'm no expert, but PLENTY of other people on this forum are- their advice is priceless. If you could weigh it, it would be worth MORE than it's weight in gold. If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, after you get the PTO taken care of I would- unless it needs other mechanical work -change the oil, change the fluid in the rear end, decarbon the head, change the spark plug and air filter, ect, just so you know exactly where you stand.
err.gif

David Bell - I suspect the gas valve on the bottom of the tank on your 682 is the same as the one on my 982, so it takes about 3-4 complete turns to open it all the way.

If the engine hasn't been run in a long time the gas has evaporated out of the fuel bowl in the carb. Takes a lot of cranking to get the fuel pump to pump the bowl full again.

Since it runs on carb cleaner you must have ignition, so I'd keep looking for fuel pump & carb problems. You didn't say where you're spraying the carb cleaner when it tries to run, if you're spraying down the carb throat the fuel valve on the tank probably doesn't make any difference. I'd pull the fuel line off the carb and crank the engine for a bit and see of you get gas out of the fuel line. If not, you have fuel pump or fuel line problems. If you get gas, you have carb problems. There is plenty of gas in the tank correct?

Dennis Frisk - I already tested the fuel pump and getting gas pouring out of the line going the carb from the fuel pump. I was spraying carb cleaner in the hole where the air filter and cover goes.

Thanks for your support.

I will post a photo as so as a get a few.

Yes there is a problem with the PTO. I'd say the bearing is shot and one of the fan blade shaped things with the 5/16" bolt is missing from the front. The lever and linkage do not attach to the PTO in any way.

I have only been able t poke at it through the bars of the grill. I will know more after I get a better feel of what is wrong.

It seems the 102 takes "over built" to a whole new level. Love the cast iron!

Todd MN

Todd, Marlin Homrighausen pretty much said it all on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 08:57 am

"Here are my thoughts about comparing today's MTD built Cub Cadets to those built by early MTD and IH. BEFORE computers were used to "create" things such as the next Cub Cadet or ???, everything was drawn by hand and with assistance of a calculator, slide rule, protractor, etc. were used in design. When it was discovered that something may have been "over-engineered" during the design-first prototype build part a lot of times that "over- " part was left in. This was due to the fact of to change something tends to cost money and when only so much money is allocated is was easier to leave the over-engineered item(s) in the initial project than to re-design and start over. Nowadays with the usage of computers a design can be stress-tested and studied for longetivity pretty much in the virtual world of the computer long before the first prototype is produced for field testing."

Todd-

Once you get to the pto you might can use a 3 jaw puller if you have a small one. I have one I use and it doesn't (shouldn't) take much to free up the pto so you can align the holes with those slots. I've even put a constant turning pressure and tapped the thrust button (small button in center) and had success. The set screws lock behind the bearing and hold the pto fast to the crank. Read about the locking collar for the bearing. It's another animal altogether but usually pretty easy to deal with. The bearing has an extended inner sleeve and the collar locks on this extention by turning.

The sponsors above have all the parts needed plus a kit that has an adjustment tool you're going to need. You'll need the narrow frame pto kit. Unfortunately the kit only has the cluch disc, spring, and the tool. The rest will need to be bought separately. And don't forget to get a couple of wear buttons.

Latest posts

Back