• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 28, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucas; Not real sure but I do know that they make a very good quality product and are the OEM supplier to many engine brands out there. My Dad used Hastings oil filters and rings for years with good results. Although, the filters and the rings are two different companies now.

Jeremiah; I sure hope so. Motor was running well until the oil seal popped out, so I hope its even better after a little refurbish.

BRIAN B. - I wouldn't bother trying to polish the conn rods. The idea behind polishing is to eliminate surface defects which cause stress risers, but hopefully those rods were handled carefully enough to not have any. Polishing rods works good on forged aluminum or forged steel rods that are harder material. Not so well on diecast rods, since they're so soft. You'd problably end up removing too much metal and end up with a weaker rod.

About 18 yrs ago when SON & I were racing R/C gas cars really hot & heavy, we had a failure on the big end of a conn rod, crank pin end of a .129 CID engine which ran around 32,000 RPM. The bronze bushing spun inside the diecast rod. I eventually found a supplier out in Calif. that machined billet rods from good 6061-T6 alum alloy, pressed in bronze bushings, and never had another failure. But I had a supplier visit me at work one day who did "SHOT PEENING", which is another method of improving strength of conn rods by removing surface defects. I had a part made from die cast Magnesium that some customers were breaking. We got off-topic, and I asked the one engineer if they could shot peen a conn rod...ohhh, maybe an INCH long. His face lit up... "YES, We do them ALL the time!." Turns out the R/C boat racers used the same size engine we used but cranked them up well over 40,000, sometimes over 50,000 RPM. The stock conn rods failed half the time and ruined the whole engine. When they peened the rods they almost never failed, but they were only good for one pass, after the first pass 90+% of them failed on the second pass.

Anyhow, my engineers finally found out that "Inter-Granular corrosion" was causing the failures of the mag. part, Magnesium is very well known for that problem, the corrosive cleaners a couple customers used would cause the parts to corrode and you could crush them in your bare hands! A "SPECIAL" coating...(MAN I hate that word "Special") and a press fit stainless steel insert in the bore raised our cost from $40 each to almost $400 each, but fixed the problem. The owner of the co. who made the part was an Attorney, and I almost had him agreeable to let me duplicate his patented part and investment cast them from 316 Stainless steel which would not have needed the coating or the SS sleeve in the bore, making a $200 part, but the engineers shot that idea down. Guess it made too much sense! Why use a $200 part you can get in 2-3 weeks when you can get a $400 part that's almost as good that takes two MONTHS to make?
bash.gif

If you want a stronger rod, I'd look at somebody like Midwest Super Cub who makes machined billet alum. alloy rods then cryogenically treats them. The pullers use them and they're good to 8000+ RPM.

On the frt wheel bearings, make sure the width of the hub of the new wheel is the same as the old wheel, since you need shims on one and none on the other I think the new wheel may be a little wider. You can file or grind the face so it's the same width, but keep it flat. Don't remove too much metal on the ID of the hubs where the bearings seat. I also have to use a steel drift punch to remove the bearings. But they should go in easier than they come out. Just make sure there's NO pressure from the thk 3/8" flat washer under the spindle cap screw in the center of the wheel against the inner races of the wheel bearing. Loser is WAY better than even a little tight.

I have a Cub Cadet 682. The transmission wont engage in forward or reverse... i emptied the fluid and filled it once then ran the motor a little while trying to engage the transmission the changed the fluid again with no luck. There was little bits and shavings of brass in the well which i cleaned out. Transmission acts like the brake is engage or something...it won't move more than a few feet then stop. HELP

David, not sure about the shavings in the well... However it could be that you have a sheared pin in one of the drive shaft couplers. I would check them first. If you remove the tunnel cover you should be able to see the couplers at the input of the hydro. I have circled the shear pins to check in the photo below. It's possible that they are sheared but would still appear intact. The way to tell would be to carefully observe the input shaft, marked with the arrow below, to see if it is turning with the engine running. Be very careful with the engine running and the tunnel cover off wouldn't want to get anything caught in the spinning drive shaft.

261253.jpg

David S,

You state you changed your transmission fluid but did you change the hydro filter on the front of the hydro unit as well? Check the shear pins as Kraig mentioned. Having metal brass shavings in your oil may mean you have bigger problems with your hydro unit. We need more info to help you.

Does your transmission roll freely with the engine off or is it locked up? Does it roll a short distance and then lock up with the engine off? Have you towed it recently before it stopped working? Are you using the recommended Hytran fluid?

Brian B., handling those rings just for a pic is less than desirable. The acids in your skin will attack the finish where the ring face meets the cylinder wall. Don't leave them without wiping clean and re-oil the surfaces.

"Nit Picky?" Maybe.?.? But it's those little details that will make or break your rebuild.

Mike Frade
I would not say nitpicky lol. it is a fact that you tuching the ring could cause it to become poris in those places an not seat as it should .
BRYAN_SHAKES.gif

Don T., yes, it is a bit "nit picky".. but if you want the effort to result in the best it can be, this is what it takes.

Clean, Clean, Clean! It cannot be clean enough!

You should see me at the shop when one of the guys opens the box of insert bearings and touches it! I'm like a rocket!

Mike Frade
I completely agree ; I whent to three diesel tranny shop in the last few weeks to have a tranny in my diesel truck rebuilt with all billet shafts and cups. Man I don`t think any have ever cleaned there shops up.No way I`am gona give them $1600.00 of parts to miss up.I want 425 hp and 900 flbs of torque for next spring for my trip hauling my fiver.i have to thin my herd of Cubs soon . no one guy can use all I have .

Can't says I blame you Don! It takes awhile to save up for parts! Just for some ham fisted wanna be to mess them up! Like you I try to do all I can on my own but when I have to go outside for service, details count, like cleanliness!

It's your motor, do as you wish with your parts, Just don't let them get rusty before they get installed. :cool:

Digger, Thanks for the help on getting the snap ring in the PTO. It worked like a charm!!

As a counterpoint (and believe me, I go for as near clean room as possible when assembling engines), I have never had rings refuse to seat (except for some God-awful chrome jobs in a SBC back in the dark ages), but I've never had a problem handling rings during assembly, with my bare hands (I suppose y'all wear surgical gloves while putting the rings in the grooves?). Now I agree, don't handle them and then leave 'em about for a month or so, but gee whiz, you should be lubing things as you assemble anyways. I absolutely do agree about bearing inserts, just because it's so easy to contaminate with minute grit, but we aren't putting together Nitro digger motors here..

(And just now I got something that said "If you read it on the 'net, it's true.... so disregard the previous paragraph..)
1a_scratchhead.gif

1650 update: Got the voltage ohm meter out and started tracking down voltage, where it was going and where is wasn't. Looks like the starter solenoid ain't getting the job done. Also, jumped the starter itself and while it will spin, it doesn't seem to have enough stuff to engage the flywheel.

I was wrong. The mower on my 125 is a 48 inch not a 52 inch. Here's pictures of my IH line up..... my 1952 Farmall H, next is my first 125 with hydlaulic lift and 42 inch mower, next my second 125 with a 48 inch mower and last is my third 125 with a blown rod. I've got 2 1/2 of these engines with blown rods, will rebuild one.

261268.jpg

261269.jpg

261270.jpg

261271.jpg

By david stevens (Dstevens) on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 09:15 am:

TRANSMISSION PROBLE ON 682...i drained transmission and put new fluid in a third time just to make sure all was flushed....i checked the pins and shaft...all looked to be tight and spinning ok....the tractor wont move... need more ideas as to how to fix it...

By david stevens (Dstevens) on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 10:22 am:

I have a Cub Cadet 682. The transmission wont engage in forward or reverse... i emptied the fluid and filled it once then ran the motor a little while trying to engage the transmission the changed the fluid again with no luck. There was little bits and shavings of brass in the well which i cleaned out. Transmission acts like the brake is engage or something...it won't move more than a few feet then stop. HELP

Latest posts

Back