Archive through July 28, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got this 800 that has me baffled. It runs great, but smokes worse than anything I have ever seen. I put MMO in the oil and mowed for about 15 minutes, which didn't help. I put a compression tester on it, and it's got 100+ psi of compression. There is no vapor/oil coming out of the breather. The smoke just rolls out of the muffler. It blows smoke rings. I'll check the oil before I run it again and see how much it has used. Any ideas as to what's going on, and if the MMO will fix it? I've never had an engine run so good and have so much compression, yet smoke so bad.

PAUL - Yes, V-8's are at a REAL disadvantage with their shorter stroke, they really lack the low end torque of an in-line 6 but make good HP once they wind-up a bit.

I've put well over a Million miles on V-8 diesel trucks, My PSD, both 555 & 903 Cum-a-parts, and a V-8 Detroit or two, and with proper gearing (meaning plenty of narrow ratio lower gears the V-8's will run with the big 6's.

There was a discussion over on the RPM forum a couple weeks ago about the difference between alcohol & diesel pulling engines in the bigger HP pulling classes. Couple guys over there either work on professional pulling teams or compete actively in regional organizations.
You throw 250 to 300 PSI of boost at a DT-466 and your going to make some AWESOME HP. It's no wonder You see You-Tube videos of pulling tractor engines blowing in two across the camshaft bore!

I saw the same thing at pulls years ago when Kinzebaugh started putting 318's in 5020's, couple farmers out in Iowa pulled 4020's with 318's also, and then IH built the 1468's and people started pulling them. A turbo-charged 6 would pull much better than a V-8.

The best local pull back in the late 1960's & early 1970's was the NTPA pull in Davenport, IA., but most of the same pullers also went to the Henry County, IL. fair in Cambridge, IL. Local Steiger dealer, Warner's Turbo Shop from Kewaunee/Galve, IL. always supplied their BIG 903-powered Steiger as the pull back tractor. Terry Warner had done a little work to the pump on that engine and He really knew His Stuff! He sure made Dad's old 4010 run better after making a "House Call" to rebuild the pump in it late one night! After the last heaviest class was done Terry who was driving the Steiger would hook onto the OTHER END of the sled and pull the sled 350 to 400 feet with the weight box topped-out the last 200 feet. But compared to the 12,000# open class tractors that Steiger weighed at least 2-1/2 times as much so He should have pulled farther.

Matt, pick one:
One of the rings in upside down..
Really loose valve guides...
PCV reed valve bad - pumping oil into the carb..
New rings on a sloppy piston...

Somebody else put MMO in the gas before you....

Matt...sell it to the Mosquito Control Comission..!
whistling.gif

Sorry 'bout that, the computer was p-----g me off and I went to bed. Here's the BLACKIE
167576.jpg

Matt Gonitzke

I know from working on motors in the past that if oil is getting by the rings it will have high compression as the oil helps seal the bore to ring even better with excess of oil. I hope you find it's just a minor problem, I just wanted to give you some past experience of mine.

Charlie P. A black 169 would look sweet although won't you need to have some custom decals made to offset the present decal color? How about a black with gold metalflake? Someone did a 966 like that over by Preston, Iowa in the early 90s. That black/gold mix really made a sharp look.

Tom H Can U or anyone else explain the rear wheel assembly with that foreign deuhickey attached to it on Blackie?

Hmmmmmmm, I'd say it's some kinda' dealie to attach wheel weights since it sure looks like a pullin' tractor.

Latest posts

Back