• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 28, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aron,
Download the service manual and read it. Important and you will learn a lot about your Cub
You must pull the flywheel with a steering wheel puller.
It is tapped for the bolts, easy job.
The holes may be full of crap, just look for them.
Remove the nut holding the pully and the screws holding the screen on

Jim,
Yeah ordered a new splined coupler for it - should have it in a few days. The rubber donuts all look good and aren’t cracked, nice and flexible. Hopefully this fixes it up! Rock picking season in bean fields will be here sooner than we think. Don’t really want to use the 100 to pick again this year if I can help it. Sure is funny to see the people slow down and gawk when picking rocks with Cub in the middle of 30 acre bean field lol

A year ago or so I bought a glass that is IH, it has the words "Cub Cadet, Riding Mower, Power Mower". Its black and gold. I want a little more infomation out of it, why were they made. Was it for the 1 millionth cub?

hello guys.
I am looking for the right type of belt to drive min tiller. Tiller is type 1 (serial number 14193) and my 782 tractor has serial number 670374. I cannot find a match on the tiller belt chart.

For those interested. I bought my cub from a Dutchman who imported it from Danville Illinois this winter.

Tristan look at the top of the page for the boxes of the sponsors for this site. Click on cub cadet specialties. He will have the good quality belt you need at a good price.

Tristan,

You will need this belt:

IH - Tiller Belt for 82 Series Tractors PN/ WM-63385 WM 63385 Replaced by CNH 492923R2

The 82 Series introduced the 5/8 PTO belt. Everything before the 82 Series (any of the IH produced Yellow and White tractors has a 1/2ish drive belt..

This belt is very long, like 110+ inches. It goes from the PTO, down to the mule drive, and all the way back to the gearbox on the rear of the tractor.

CCSpecalties has this belt listed. That’s where I got the above description.

This may be real close to the "stupid question" area, but where do you find what the different models are, years built, features, etc.? I thought I saw it on the site someplace.
Specifically, what's a 128?

Don,

128:

First 2 numbers = HP so 12hp
last number 8 = gear drive, 9 = hydro, so gear drive.

So you have a 12hp gear drive Cub Cadet of the "xx8/9" series, built in the early 1970's

Tristan,

What Scott said about needing a 5/8" wide belt is correct. The length, however, is ~152 inches. I don't know if you are familiar with Gates belt products across the pond but a Gates B-152 belt is another possible option and maybe more readily available locally.

Two other things you need to check. First, the lower pulley on the rear gearbox needs a wider sheave to accommodate the 5/8" wide belt. A No. 1 tiller would have originally come with a cast iron pulley that accommodated 1/2"ish wide belt. The 2B model tiller was configured for use on the 82 Series models and later. The correct pulley part number for the 5/8" belt is "Lower pulley for 2B tiller using 5/8 belt. PN/ IH-135554-C1 USE WM-63369". Charlie can fix you up with one of those if you need one.

Also, getting the old cast iron pulley off the lower shaft without destroying it will require a press, removal of the 4 mounting bolts holding the gearbox to the rear mounting bracket and two steel strips that can be inserted between the mounting bracket plate and the cast hub of the pulley while pressing on the gearbox shaft. Also don't forget to remove the two set screws in the pulley hub.

Second, the front mule drive needs to have the idler pulley arms aligned straight back and forth. I've seen people try to use their mule drive from a 44/50" mower deck (44B/50B models), which has the arms angled to align with the off-center middle pulley, to drive the tiller gear box. This can cause problems from a thrown belt to excessive wear on the belt.

A mule drive from a 38B mower deck would work great

Back