• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 27, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkitch

displayname
DEAN KITCH
Tdean

Step back and think for a minute. I'll bet that you will realize that with more knowledge about your cub that you will realize that the older machines
are really hard to beat. With that small acreage, it should be an easy task to mow. Don't let that newer stuff fool you. You may find that the new ones had more engineering put into building the beverage cups than was put into building a good machine! In a former post one member stated that after rebuilding his engine that his "old cub" should be good for another 40 years! That is hard to beat. Good luck with your project

Dean

Wes, Dean, well put. I'll add that I use a 1968 model 125 year round to mow my rather large lawn, to clear snow from my long driveway and to haul weekly loads of firewood from the pile to my garage in the winter. Makes a good go-kart too. These Cubs are tougher then a bunny with Energizer batteries!

Toby, sounds like a wrong spec replacement engine. The dip stick should be mounted higher up on that side on the originally equipped engine OR on a correct spec replacement, the other side next to the points cover. Seeing that your engine is black that's the first indicator that it's a replacement engine. Here's where the dip stick would have been on the original engine.

63062.jpg

Got to agree with all of you. Even tho I have a 7000 series for the really big jobs, my 2 little 30 yr. old's do exactly what I intend them and what they were built for. And that is "years of service.

Tobias: Sometimes you have to walk away for awhile and think things out. With the manual and help the tractor in itself is pretty simple. For getting something newer that is your choice keep the old Cub and learn.

Here is an example: Found myself just wanting to trade for new in 1998 just had to have a 1863 it was a good tractor but I never liked it as much as I liked my 782. I have seen several bigger Cubbies for sale many possibilities.

So take a deep breath, think about it, and make a sound decision. One last thought, there is "junk" cubbies out there. Maybe past owners just didn't take care of the one you got.

Pops-----Cup
whistling.gif
Holder

Kraig, Dean and all- good advice, we have been looking at new mowers of various kinds and they look kind of pathetic next to the cub in terms of construction and weight. But I know I am not up to the task of getting this tractor to the point of me or my wife being able to just hop on and mow without tinkering and fussing with it. FI I just noticed that one of the rear axle seals is leaking.
Do you think I could find someone to really go through this machine and get it into peak condition, beyond just the odd fix I have done? IE- tweaking hydro creep, seals, etc., maybe even replacing engine with rebuilt original spec. Not so concerned with appearance, and I could always work on that aspect. Seems like that would be a good use of the money over the nearly 2K we might spend on a new mower.
Still tempted by a ZTR (more than 2K of course) as I have a home orchard(2 dozen trees and growing) but my better 3/4's ( see Picture)suggested that we should keep the cub just in case!
Toby
63066.jpg

Those coming to Freeport tomorrow, look for a 2-section canopy with a gray roof and a 1512 sitting at the southeast end of the smaller displays. We have plenty of shade to share, and a place to park your Cub too. Be sure to stop in and say hi if you come...

I want to thank everyone for the compliments on the 1650 and Clarence (the 102).

Tim H. I truly do feel so honored and humbled to be trusted to be new owner and caretaker of the 1650. I will be getting a new grille screen for using in parades or displays. Only I'm going to try and leave it as original as possible. The railroad track (a.k.a. Plowing weight) will come off though. (I need an anvil.) The discs will eventually receive new paint.

Hydro Harry. I know that one day we'll get a chance to meet. The welder is an old Lincoln that I bought in 1992 or so at my ex-father-in-laws auction when he went to a nursing home. One of the guys that was over last Sunday said that it was in its day an expensive outfit. It has the 110 volt plug in and goes down to either 10 or 20 amps for soldering and some other things he said made it a top line 220 Volt welder in its day. I'll try and get some pics this weekend. As far as selling the 127 goes, Mike C. said that needs a winter project when he gets moved to Nevada and settled in with his huge garage/Cub shed.

Ed T. Don't give up on your 1650. Have patience... these guys will walk you through literally everything to get the Cub up and running like new.

Tobias D. Same with you and your Cub.

BTW... Welcome to all the new members!!!
wave.gif

Talk about crude notches, check out what my 105 had done to it.
bash.gif

63069.jpg

I see a bolt back there that could have been accessed by a much smaller hole, but something tells me this torching in the dark by some maniac wasn't at all necessary. Watcha guys think possessed someone to do this?

BTW, if you arrive at Freeport before me the 1512 won't be there, just an empty canopy with an economy or some similar orange thing to the west a bit.

Jarrod M.-

I'm guessing he couldn't get at the point cover screw. Some of the early tractors in that series didn't have a slot or hole to access that screw, and without it, that's hard to get to. The worst torch job I have seen was this 71 (aka the Batmobile) I had that someone got a Wisconsin engine to fit into, by cutting the frame in several places.

Charlie/Bryan-

You guys mind if I print off the forum logo on a piece of paper to advertise it a bit over the weekend to attempt to attract new members?

Need a little help from the experts. I bought a 149 and brought it home tonight. Tractor is in good shape. Came with a blade and under carriage. I also got a dis-mounted mower deck that didn’t look quite right. I already have a 149 and several deck to fit it but this deck looks different. It is about 42” cutting width. Has 3 casting, both ends and front center. It has mounting pins at the font casting and the RH pin sets at an angle. It also has pins at the back. These pins are not adjustable but fixed. The side castings have the gauge wheel brackets incorporated into the casting. It is also very thin as compared to my 44-48 50” decks. I don’t have a digital camera; Scott took his home last weekend. It doesn’t have a serial plate in the oblivious places only the warning decal on the upper right side next to the center casting. Any guess as to what I have. I know it won’t fit he 149 or 782 but the P/O jury rigged a 149 under carriage to sort of fit, needless to say I won’t be using it.

Does anyone have a picture of what the interface between parts IH-106874-C1 and IH-106266-C1 looks like? It's the hydraulic lift handle parts on my 1650 with the front outlets. I can't tell if someone has altered the former to make the latter fit or something.

John N.-

That's a 42" deck from a 100 or 1x2/3.

Better question: Was there a hole or dimple that the end of that handle fit into to "lock" it to the tube, or was it held on by tightening down the handle?

Matt,
If memory serves me right, the tube is a press fit type of deal and there was no set screw or dimple.
Maybe Steve or someone else with duals will chime in here.

Charlie I thought we had a mower deck identifier in the FAQ's but I couldn't find one. Something with pictures like the Cub serial number identifier FAQ would be great. If someone had a lot of pictures he could probably make up one. It sure would be handy when some body new to this hobby had a question.
whistling.gif

Richard,
I started doing that a LONG while ago and got side tracked and everytime I ask for information from the masses to do something like that, NO ONE seems to want to lend a helping hand.
That being said, we'll just have to wait till i get back on task.
biggrin.gif

Charlie The only decks I have are the 44a and 50c decks, I don't know what all the others look like or I would be glad to do it. I've seen pictures here of all the different hangers too, that would go well with the deck information.

On the subject of mower decksmine is tagged 501u1111. Everyone talks about 44a 50c ect what the heck do I have?

John N:

The deck you most likely have, is this one...
63077.jpg

It was made between 1963 to 1968. It was used on Models 70/100 thru the 1x4/5 Series.

It is distinguishable in that, it has three cast iron pieces, the center nose, and each end.

I suppose with the right ingenuity, you could adapt this deck to a newer model of Cub.

Latest posts

Back