• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 24, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, now I need to know how bad I messed up today. I was extemely excited to make a deal for a good looking 682 Cub. Here it is:

167202.jpg

I got home, jotted down the serial number and fired up the laptop to see when it was built. I just figured out that it is really a 682-B, not manufactured by IH. Does anyone know what the actual differences are? And will you guys still help me even if it was manufactured after 1981?

Thanks, Rob

Robert Clements

Take a look at the serial plate of your Cub original engine. If it is a "T" in the spec no. you have what was originally a recoil start tractor, which is fairly scarce. I am asking because it appears that your ignition still comes from behind the flywheel, in the form of a magneto. Tractors factory equipped with electric start would have had an external cylindrical coil. Take a look. Five small screw holes around the periphery of the flywheel screen would show it too.

Craig C.

Ok, I'm back in from the garage and you are absolutely right. K161 with a "T". And there ARE the 5 small screw holes outside the flywheel screen. Also, now that I am looking closely at it, the flywheel pulley has the outside ring on it for a recoil mechanism. So...someone did some after-market mods? If I am going to restore this maybe I should consider making it recoil start tractor?

Great catch! Thanks for the info.

Rob

I already know that the compression shoots up to 40lbs of psi. I did a compression test before I took the engine out and opened up the oil pan. By the way the spring looks like the one in the picture that you posted up. Is that one in the picture that you posted up correct?? If so is my next step putting the oil pan back on and dropping my engine back in??

That spring is installed correctly in the picture. Make sure the weights move freely before buttoning up the bottom again. If you have the head off, spin the flywheel by hand and check to make sure the valves are not sticking, and inspect the head gasket. 40 psi sounds about right, since the compression release opens cracks open the exhaust valve briefly when the piston is about halfway up. Once the engine is running, centrifugal force swings the compression release tabs out of the way and allows the engine to develop full compression.

Picked up a like new 2B tiller recently. Investigation reveals that the tiller was made with a 5/8" pulley for the 82 series tractors. I'm attempting to mount the tiller on my 1650, and wanted to know if anyone has used the 2B models successfully without changing the pulley? (i.e. I don't want to chewup the $43 dollar tiller drive belt quickly) Any advice would be appreciated.

Robert Clements
Don't be too quick to change the "after market mods" as you called them, it sounds as if what you have is also fairly scarce. There was an Electric Start conversion kit offered by IH, part number 377 891 R91, to convert the pull start tractor engines to electric start. This kit included the battery, motor/generator (starter/generator), voltage regulator, choke control assembly, starter switch, drive pulley (?),S/G pulley, mount brackets, and starter belt.
It did not include an external coil, or a different igition switch, but rather it still used the magneto ignition system, including the mag coil and condenser.

So it appears your tractor may not have an "after market mod", but simply an IH update......and if you had spent much time "pulling the rope" to start it, you would know why it was converted. That kit was listed at $131.25 in the 1964 IH Parts and Accessory Catalog.

Paul B.

Thanks for the great information. I was beginning to wonder if someone may have changed the motor at some point in time but that explanation makes more sense. It also fits that this modification may have been done since the original owner was also the IH dealership owner. I guess I need to just take my time and do as much research as possible before making any changes to what is here. That's great advice. Is there anyway to link the motor serial number to the tractor serial number to verify if this is the original motor?

A HUGE thanks to everyone who showed up to this year's RPRU in Madison, WI. It was GREAT meeting many faces from across the country. Thanks for making the trip, and thanks for bringing your Cubs along for the ride.

This was my first Red Power show. If you have never attended an RPRU and ever have the opportunity, I HIGHLY recommend you make every effort to be there. It's a great time!

Latest posts

Back