Archive through July 17, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim:
Time for some of the off the wall stuff..

Check immediately to see if it has spark when it quits . It might be helpful to have an inductive timing light hooked up and running. If the timing light quits when the engine quits, you've still got an ignition problem - another possible thing here is that the pushrod for the points is hanging up.

Did you put an inline fuel filter in? If so, is it for a non-fuel pump engine? some of the filters won't flow right if they're made for a small engine with a fuel pump. Also, if you pull the gas line at the carb, it should pour out pretty fast, I've seen an obstruction at the shutoff cause the type of problem you're having, a little piece of plastic that would jiggle up and down... You say you rebuilt the carb, hopefully the float isn't hanging up, which could stop fuel flow..

Another thing to check - if it doesn't start right back up, is there power to the coil? an intermittent in the switch or a loose wire can cause weird problems.

We'll keep right here with ya, as long as you promise to tell us what the problem is when you find it
greenthumb.gif

TG:
Wow, great to see such an old timer around.. Didn't realize you'd been here since before the forum was started in March of '98 ... Maybe you're "Ranger Buck" ??? I guess maybe I didn't realize that with your total of 11 posts since '05.. With all your experience and knowledge, I'd hope you'd chime in and help out with the questions once in a while - that's where Charlie, Matt, Kentuck, Harry and the rest of us are coming from..
thumbsup_old.gif

BTW - Jef_Mallett..Google is such a wonderful tool - try it, you'll like it..

Gerry, thanks for that. I got on a nastalgia kick last week when I asked about where the earlier posts were. I was thinking about 99 but that could be when I first started posting.
happy.gif

Bob,
The engines begins to loose rpm's and dies slowly. I have checked with my inductive timing light to determine if I have fire as it dies. I have fire until the engine reaches very low rpm. It will run for a long period of time at low rpm and never die.
Gerry,
Yes to the inductive timing light - see above. There is no in line fuel filter only the micro screen attached to the shut off valve on the tank. I have cleaned it thouroughly. This is a K301 with no fuel pump..gravity fed. I have even run seperate gas tank with a clear fuel line to determine fuel flow. Additionally, as soon as the engine dies I have crimped the fuel line and checked the carb float bowl to determine if it has gas. It seams like a gas starvation problem but gas is at the correct level in the bowl. Inspecting the bowl and float I do not see any signs of the float hanging or the float being gas logged.
Thank you and I hope I answered your questions.

Dave, I had to go look, my first post was November 12, 1998.

In case anyone was wondering about Gerry's mention of Ranger Buck, here's a little bit of detail:

194215.jpg

Jimmy, You got me stumped if the coil didn't do it. It's not a valve sticking if it slows down gradually. We just went through this with a member not that long ago. You've ruled out gas and spark as being the problem so mabey you need a priest. Try this, Run it till it quits, Have a clear jar nearby and drain the entire contents of the gas into it. then put the jar on a shelf or bench and leave it a couple hours. Let us know whats in the bottom of the jar. Any problem can be figured out 1 step at a time.

I didn't start lurking on sites like this one until late '99 or early 2000. I remember Jim Steele, Bryan, Kraig, Travis, Bob Necker, and a few others (some I can't even remember their names). A few of the ones I remember don't post anymore or only sparingly. So I consider myself a newbie as I just started posting here about a year and a half ago though I was registered before.

I've got a question. I have 2 CCO that were both made in March of 1961. How was the steering column attached to the dash tower. 1 has a u bolt going around the steering column and bolted threw the front of the dash. And the other one has a metal plate that bolt underneath the top of the dash tower and the steering column goes threw it. And the two bolts are threw the top of the dash tower. Is the last one correct. but the way it bolts up the one with the u bolt has no holes in the top of the dash tower.Thanks for your help.Cletie

Charlie, you're not that much of a newbie! I believe I found your first post:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Charlie (Rtschudi) on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

Hi all,
I have a 147 and after tearing into it, I found that the brake pivot shaft is frozen. Since it's soft the BFH idea is out, does anyone out there know a good way to free it up other than WD40 and waiting a week? I have all the rollpins out and the brake arms off and the center brake lever is free, but that shaft is stuck like a tick to a dogs butt.
Charlie<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Latest posts

Back