• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 19, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Sorry, now I see the creeper gear handle. My bad. The page is turned.
happy.gif

Harry--The old gal I got it from told me her son had painted it all fancy. By the time I got the rat nest out and seen the damage I realized I would have to prime and paint the damaged areas. The insides were bad--the outside not so bad.

Since I do a lot of metal work and painting--I mixed some tint into some Rustoleum base and color matched the existing. If I had realized what a sin I was committing, I would have gone with original. But I didn't know about you guys at the time. Now I know! I was in a hurry to get the little guy stable for the winter. Rust takes no prisoners. When I take it apart next summer I will probably bring it back original frame up.

Yes I did rivet the new fan to the old base. I milled the skinny shoulder off the back of the base so as to make full contact with the fan core. I also ground flush what was left of the old blades. I used the drive shaft as a pilot to centerline the fan and base so I could get the rivets dead on. A little RTV between the base and fan--full contact--done. The fan diameter is 5 1/4 inch but if I did it again I would make it 5 1/2-5 3/4. The whole deal weighs less than 1/2 ounce. I can feel air coming out the back--more pitch on the blades=more air.

Frank and others,
Ohhhh, I remember Jim. WTH is with the personal quote?? I don't think we need a return of all that "correctness".
Paul, I you have another CC knocking at you door, sent it my way.

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

I must confuse easily
1a_scratchhead.gif
. Because I see that the foot plates on the tractor posted earlier has Black foot plates and the one you posted below has yellow foot plates. Or Is that just another IH mistake in there brochures ?
1a_scratchhead.gif

If mister Steel was a only correct

as to the build of these Cub ;I dough he would paint the foot plates Black ! ?
correct%20police.gif

I just have a question about that advertisement. What if the operator is left-handed?

Don, the brochures are notorious for not being accurate as to what was painted what color and what was actually built. The way I understand it was that they used prototypes for the photo shoots.
dunno.gif
Jim's father was in management at IH. I believe he had something to do with the paint department. Jim's dad is in this class somewhere and that's his dad getting an award in the second photo.

252454.jpg

252455.jpg

Brian,
252456.gif

I wonder if Jim S ever finished up working on his hot rod car he had? Remember that Charlie?

Decided that my stack muffler needed a little support so I had some stuff laying around, and came up with this. I like it!

252461.jpg

Brian-

Doesn't matter...unless you live in a country where they drive on the wrong side of the road, the right hand uses the shifter, the left the steering wheel...
happy.gif

Kraig - I think that pic of the 122 you posted below has a ton of either air brush or prototype items. Looks to me like the ignition key is yellow, the wire bail on the lift handle looks yellow, and I think they air-brushed the lift handle button so it's only sticking up half way, and the top of it has an angle no less - geez.

Now, ole Jim Steele and I would get into it alot of times, but he was great. And as for being the correct police, I don't recall that about Jim. I sorta remember him being a guy that wanted alot of the parts to be better than original, and I believe he did come up with some stuff that was. (And about that correct police stuff, I always liked to think I was one of them but never wore the uniform).

Hi All, I just signed up so I wanted to introduce myself. I have a 105 and during the course of my internet research I found my way here. I've had the cub about a year now. It was in fine mechanical condition when I bought it. So I've been doing routine service stuff and replaced the PTO fiber disk (after it disintegrated). I've really got a boat load of respect for my 105 since I started working with it, so I'm going to do what I can to keep it in tip top shape. It's still going to be a worker
happy.gif
My next project will be to tackle the steering. I have all the classic problems!

Harry, at one point in there, I believe you not only had / have the uniform but, you became the chief!
1AA_dance2.gif
biggrin.gif

Charlie, could I also see Jim's project pictures?

"Correctness" has it's place to be sure! But there are always those of us looking to "improve" the usefullness and reliabilty of our machines.

And I feel "we" have achieved a good balance 'round here.. 'course, that's just my humble opinion.. Thanks Charlie / Kraig / Bryan!

KRAIG - WOW.... How the heck did we get onto the topic of Jim Steele? Another old Quad-City Boy with direct ties to IHC?

Jim's Dad was General Foreman of IH E. Moline's paint department and also did consulting for other IH plants, mostly LVL from what Jim said. If he was at Farmall it was WAY before my time, I was just starting HS in 1967! I ordered & released paint @ FARMALL from 1979 till the end of 1981 and Jim's Dad was never involved with paint at Farmall during that time. I think he may have retired by then, and was tha Mayor of Silvis, IL for quite a few years.

I know Jim worked for Moline Paint Mfg. for several years during the summer when going to college. Also remember on 9-11 with his direct access to the national news feeds about the terrorist attacks I kept up with what was happening in NYC, Washington DC, & PA. with his posts right here.

Far as the comments about "Correct Police", yes, it's nice looking at a correctly restored CC, or even an LS6 '70 Chevelle SS like on Barrett-Jackson this weekend, or a '70 Boss 302 Mustang. But I'm not one to make a pristine trailer queen/king, that's just something to look at. If I have something it has to RUN. As CJ Baker said in a series of feature articles in Hot Rod Magazine in the mid-1970's about his '69 Chevelle SS396, "Shine it may, but RUN it MUST!" NO room in my shop for something that doesn't earn it's keep.

That's the way I feel, "Shine it may, but RUN it MUST". Good quote!

Wayne S.
Here's that pic of your thrower gearbox all goo'd up after setting outside last night and running on the drill for 4 hours this morning at 18 below zero!
That gear oil/grease combo works great in the frozen north!
252470.jpg

Mike F - you thought I was the Chief? Geez, I know there were comments about being "ole Eagle Eye" but never thought I was the Chief. But you're darn toot'n if someone "thought" they did a 100 point restoration I was gonna point out the deductions (but at that time I wasn't even aware of the factory paint runs inside the frame or hood). If it was a refurb as Paul likes to call them, well then, having "improved" features would be nice to see but still needed to be identified. Maybe you recall alot of my discussions about having pre and post production features on my 169. Took alot of guys quite some time to figure out what I was talking about (cause I didn't tell them). Things like pre-production wide offset front wheels (hey, they are from the earlier narrow frame tractors - you can't just reverse the original wheel or the valve stem bumps the spindle). And the post-production hood hinge (the Quiet Line hinge is basicall the same and much stronger than that original piano style hinge). You know, we all live and learn. I mentioned something about this before, but at the time I did my 169 there were some discussions about just leaving the balance gears out of the K341A, but not all the more recent details of the last decade. At the time I did mine I was of the mind that "Kohler put them in there for a reason, and if they were good enough for Kohler then it was good enough for me" - and that's why the balance gears are still in my K341A. If I was doing it again I'd certainly be going with David Kirk's crank balance as I suspect you will be. I might still remove them someday after I retire.

Dennis F - I can't look at an LS6 70 Chevelle SS, or even a 69 Chevelle SS396. My mouth drops so far open and I drool so much that people think I'm having some type of seizure and call 911 for help.

Charlie - I never saw a question from Wayne on the gear oil/grease combo. I got a couple of those gear boxes I could send your way so you can do some more climate testing. And just what are you drilling at 18below? Holes for ice fishing?

Latest posts

Back