• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Transmission test

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Hill

Hi all
I am trying to restore a cub cadet 147.
before I continue I would like to check the transmission. So far Its not working
the only thing I did was to drain the fluid, replaced the filter and freed up the relief valves .
I replaced the fluid and filter with the dealer recommended ones.
I was trying to simulate the shaft turning the transmission with a drill. The small shaft spins at the rear of the transmission pump. (The part with the cooling fins) but the lower gears don’t turn at all.
do I have to prime the pump from the top ?
is the drill not fast enough to simulate the motor? ( it’s rebuild but not installed yet)
do I have bigger problems?

first pic is my power supply for now. Drill
the second is the top of the pump which is the only shaft that’s turning
third pic is just the inside gears which all look great and no metal bits came out during the fluid change.
I have taking the fluid out to inspect it again and take the pictures.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8973.jpeg
    IMG_8973.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8972.jpeg
    IMG_8972.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8971.jpeg
    IMG_8971.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I am guessing the drill is not turning fast enough. The rpm of the drill is probably not even close to the rpm of the engine.

Hi all
I am trying to restore a cub cadet 147.
before I continue I would like to check the transmission. So far Its not working
the only thing I did was to drain the fluid, replaced the filter and freed up the relief valves .
I replaced the fluid and filter with the dealer recommended ones.
I was trying to simulate the shaft turning the transmission with a drill. The small shaft spins at the rear of the transmission pump. (The part with the cooling fins) but the lower gears don’t turn at all.
do I have to prime the pump from the top ?
is the drill not fast enough to simulate the motor? ( it’s rebuild but not installed yet)
do I have bigger problems?

first pic is my power supply for now. Drill
the second is the top of the pump which is the only shaft that’s turning
third pic is just the inside gears which all look great and no metal bits came out during the fluid change.
I have taking the fluid out to inspect it again and take the pictures.
thanks
Make sure the drill is turning backwards or CCW.

Yes tried it in both directions at about 3/4 full speed
Turning it CW will cavitate the pump. If you you haven't blown the pump, remove the relief valves and pour a bunch of Hy-Tran in and you might luck out. Always best to know before doing something you've never tried before. 👍

He may not be turning it in the correct direction.
I was thinking the same thing. I've used a drill before on the pump and it works. The drill I used did not spin very fast. It was an old Craftsman 1/2" drill, probably at least 30 years old. It did spin fast enough for me to be able to check the fwd/rev and the hydraulics though.

I always ask when I’m not sure.
that’s the beauty of forums like this one . The combined knowledge here is incredible.
thank you
going to pull the pump and prob take it apart. I seen one apart on this forum so I’ll have a look.

I wouldn't take it apart without trying it with the engine first. There is a very, very small chance it doesn't work.

It sometimes takes a bit to get the pump primed when you change both the Hytran and oil filter. First make sure you have the correct OEM hydraulic filter from Cub Cadet, IH-395789-R2, 723-3014 USE 923-3014. Some off brand filters are not the same and can cause problems. Put in the 7 quarts of HyTran oil in the transmission. The early hydros like your 147 have a long siphon tube that goes up and over the Hydro unit so it can be a challenge getting the unit to prime. Remove the transmission from the frame and block the rear of the transmission housing up so the front of the transmission tilts downward to help get oil flowing into the filter and then try the drill turning the shaft CCW on the front of the driveshaft. If that doesn't work, put the engine back in and try it running at low idle. Be sure to block up one of the drive wheels so it doesn't take off on you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back