• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 19, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember that there are 2 different settings for the carburetor that I dug up from before. If you go to the "FAQ'S" page, it says the the screws should be 3 1/2 on the high side and 2 1/2 on the idle. That is pretty close to mine.
Maybe as you guys are saying the valves are not adjusted correctly. I'll take a look at that and adjust as needed. First I'll have to get some feeler gauges. Wish me luck

Don T - my apologies for the typo. I did mean to mention your name. However, in my earlier post to Mark I had already mentioned valve adjustments as a possibility as well, amongst other things.

Mark G - yes the FAQ does have a chart that lists the "Preliminary settings". The chart is actually the same as in my Kohler Service manual. I don't know why they are different from the Cub Cadet Operator Manual for a 149. I will say that based on my experience, and just about exactly as Matt G suggested, your final setting if the engine is set up and operating correctly should be in/near/at 2 to 2 and 1/2 turns for the High Speed needle, and 1 and 1/2 to 2 turns for the Low Speed. If you are at 3 and 1/2 to 4 turns on either or both then something is not correct in my view and you'll be running very very rich. Maybe you have a partial blockage in your high speed needle itself. If your 2 carbs are the same you should be able to switch one needle to the other and get the same basic settings. If so, then check the valve clearnaces, and you will need the feeler gauge you mentioned, and a gasket kit for the breather.

Quick question - What do you know about the IHCC 126. I know it is 12 hp, 3 speed and gear drive, however what else should I know about this tractor? Being a 3 speed, but a narrow frame, is the lack of an access cover over the hump going to be a problem? How easy are these tractors to work-in/referb into a working machine?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bill - I'm not that experienced with these things but I do have a 126 that I really enjoy. It's very simple to work on and without the hydro there's not much you need to access insofar as tranny stuff. As far I can tell they're pretty bullet proof aside from typical issues such as sloppy steering (easy fix) and aging wiring. Sure others with far more experience can add more but I like mine very much for it's simplicity as a gear drive unit and ease of use. Good luck!

Don and Harry-

It wasn't me talking about the valves but I agree with Don that it could be adding to the problem. I will say that a carb needs to be clean for sure before any adjusting and adjusting needs to be done at operating temps. The manual gives the starting points of each adjustment. The adjustments, I think are sort of like the points and timing. Each engine needs to be "tweeked" and no two engines will be exactly alike when tuned. It tells us in the manuals how to do this too.

Wayne Shytle

I sure could use you or Frank over here for at least a week.I need to get the cargo trailer emptied and parts stored . I think I will have to store a Cub outside ;I`am running out of room here . I did get a battery maintainer and have that in use. It would be nice to have someone that knows cubs to help out and I would pay them for a weeks work. I bet we would get something done the second day lol. One day would be all stories lol.
wink.gif

Bill ? J. According to Hank Will's "Cub Cadet - The First 45 Years" there were just 5,247 126's built. If I ever get a gear drive, that's what it will be.
Don T. Heckuva haul!
thumbsup_old.gif
happy.gif

Don-

Thanks for the invite but I'd rather it be in July or August. Nova Scotia in January just doesn't sound too inviting.

Heck, I could use you and Frank here for a month. I have so many irons in the fire with my cubs that I now need to live until I'm 90.

Like I mentioned earlier, you just need to start planning another building. At least just a storage unit with no heat or electrics. I still have several cubs just covered with tarps or plastic. I have to uncover and cover over and over again to keep things healthy but so far it's working.

Frank-

How's the K341 coming along?

Don T - geez, sounds like Wayne and Frank turned ya down. I'd be willing to take the job as a supervisor and I can tell you we'd get the job going right from the first day, and
by the end of the week all your Cubs would be exactly where you put'm.
swear.gif

Harry: You could supervise from home VIA internet. Just send Don a list of what to do in the order to do it and tell him not to stray from it and we want pics.
Wayne: I'm right on schedule with the K341 - because I had no schedule. I'm away from home 3-4 days a week this month. Have parts on order, but can't honestly use Don T.'s excuse of WAITING for parts. January's quickly going in the rear view. February (the month a woman talks the least) will be a biggie.
I'm mulling over the idea of asking Charlie what he thinks of starting a thread in the Sandbox for the 169 owners, which would probably spread to a thread for the 126's, one for the 800's, the 149's, etc. etc. etc.
1a_scratchhead.gif
Charlie's cold weather has spread East and is here, now. Nothing we haven't seen before.
happy.gif

Somebody can turn the page, now.
cubwinker.gif

Latest posts

Back