Archive through January 07, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, here's a couple photos of Darryl's mowers.

183920.jpg

183921.jpg

Thanks for the photos, Kraig.
The mowers are not so pretty to look at but they really are the ticket to more free time...
I replaced the decks from the 85 riders with 44" and the 8hp briggs handles it just fine...
So, the 14hp(1450) the two 8hp (85 cadet rider) is 30 HP...driving the 10 1/2 foot cut..
follows the ground perfectly, but, uses a lot of gas..
saves me enough time to do some "back yard Karting" with the grandkids..

Just want to tell you guys all something, when i was growing up, my dad, Darryl Schmidt, never built much like this (probally cause he was chasing us darn kids around for stealing his tools) but the guy could sure build with wood. Always told my friends that he could cut a tooth pick out of a 8' 2x4 with his right handed skill saw and he's left handed! Every time i see that tractor back at home it just kinda takes a guys breath away.... Pics dont do it justice.

Did some more upgrades on the loader tractor and next implement is ready for mounting. I built this blade last year for my 782D but now dont use it so thought why not mount it up on the loader.

183967.jpg

183968.jpg

183969.jpg

183970.jpg

183971.jpg

Also did a tire upgrade. Went with the 26x12-12 carlisle mud wolf tires with 180# of weight on each tire just in rim weights. I used my adaptors and the weights dont even touch the rims so that when i take the weights off the rims are like new. i went with 18x8.5-8 on front with the spindle bearing upgrade package. make the track a little wider and works really nice. Next is power steering. that is a definate must with loaders in my mind. Here are a couple shots of the spindle upgrade.

183972.jpg

183973.jpg

hope to get my new to me 3 port valve on this weekend so that i can try the brush grapler.

183974.jpg

Darryl
The 1650-4 that you built is awesome. It has inspired me to do the same. I first noticed it on the web 3 weeks ago while looking for ideas on making a homemade 4wd tractor. Since then I have collected a 122 and another 1975 cub cadet gear shift rear axle unknown model! To anyone out there, has this been done with two gear shift models. I'm looking for ideas on making gear shifting easy or possibly with one shifter.
Thanks, Dean

Dean, yes a gear drive articulated 4x4 Cub Cadet has been built, several actually. The best one IMO was built by a guy named Scott Croonquist. Scott had it at a Plow Day in Iowa a few years back. He was still working out some details and had not yet painted it when I saw it. Here are some photos of it.

184032.jpg

184033.jpg

184034.jpg

184035.jpg

Dean, If a person took the shifter cover off and weld tangs to the shifter forks to hook cables to. then you'd have to make a cover that would allow you to anchor the cables. ( do that twice couse youv'e 2 transmissions) Put a 3 speed floor shifter somewhere and hook the cables to the appropriate shifter fork. You could shift both transmissions with one shifter. It gets even easier if one transmission is facing backwards. You'd have to use pretty stiff cables to make it work but aftermarket auto tranny shifter cable should be stiff enough and they come in different lengths. Mabey I'm full of it but yea the thought has crossed my mind.
You have to count the teeth but those two gear drives problably have two different 2nd gears.

With all the talk about loaders and atachments, has anyone ever built a backhoe for a cub?
jm2c

Kraig
Thanks for the pics. I haven't quit decided how far ahead I should place the front axle. This design looks better than the one I had in mind. Do you have anymore pics of this tractor?
thanks, Dean

Latest posts

Back