• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 04, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, I don't agree with your friend who says a 100 does not cut well. I think when you sharpen and level the deck it does one of the nicest mowing jobs you can get. I have one and it is a early 100 with the low 2nd gear so it is not very fast at mowing. I use it as a backup mower or when I have the other tractor set up to do something else. I think you should buy the 1250 and have two tractors. You can have one for mowing and one for plowing or trailer duty. Thats what most of us do.

Brian...If you can pick up the 1250 for a couple hundred and it's in good condition and runs well grab it. In the meantime the deck for your 100 is well worth the time. Your friend probably had a deck that was set-up incorrectly and maybe had dull blades. Nothin wrong with having more that one Cub either, in fact I would recommend having multiples.

Has anyone attempted to start here:
183459.jpg

to put 1" WF spindles on a NF axle?

Brian: For a couple hundred bucks, I'd grab that 1250 fast if I were you (and I'm not even that partial to Quietlines).
deadat30.gif

You cant have to many cubs .
The 149 for throwing snow.
The 1450 with the power angle blade or sweepster.
The 147 resting this winter.
The o for pulling the trailer.
The 125 for mowing.
The 106 on stand by.
The 1250 for the loader got to get that done.
The other o just to look at ,new paint .
Wish i was retired so i could work on them more.

Frank I have put the whole wide front axle assembly on a narrow front cub. It is probably an easier way to do it. Roger

well this was my little project for the day, drug my good 38" deck inside for a little TLC... cleaned all the grass out and ran the wire wheel over it, im gonna put in new taller baffles and fix some of the welded spots, the back has been reinforced with a nice thick piece of angle iron as well as the front left, the only poblem with the front one is they blocked part of the factory notch that lets grass and leaves in. the center spindle has some wobble and the blades need changing, this thing cut very nice up until the end of the season, i would engage the PTO and it would take almost a minute for the deck to get up to speed, i think the tensioner on the deck needs adjustment, ill run the DA over the outside and giver a quick coat of paint after i do the underside with slip plate.
183465.jpg

183466.jpg

now ive got some questions about this slip plate, do i need to prime the metal first or can i just brush it on??? also should i put it on the blades as well?

Matt S.-

I think slip plate is supposed to be applied over paint, so paint the whole thing first and then paint over the top of it with the slip plate. I wouldn't bother painting the blades, as the paint will wear off instantly anyway.

Been just lurking here the past few weeks, kinda jealous of all the snow you guys are getting out west! I did get to plow about 2" of snow just to "run the old gas out" of the 106 but just wind and stupid cold here. I fired up the 104 just to hear it run! Where is all our snow? Who knows but my daughter says we need 2 feet so I can play with my tractors!! She is a great kid!!!

Matt, I did the same thing you are doing a few years ago and put the slip-plate over the bare metal thinking it would protect it from rust. It didn't...

OK, so it does sound like I should continue with what I have been doing and complete the deck but if I do pick up the 1250, should I mow with that based on the 42" cut rather than the 38 on my 100? I don't know much about the 1250. Is the quiet line refer to the enclosed compartment for the engine? What engine does it have. My real question is why should I get the 1250 over another Model 100. Are there advantages to mowing with the 1250?
Thanks for the help. I want to buy another cub but am wondering if I should pull the trigger on the 1250 or buy another 100 when I find one. Now keep in mind my garage only fits two tractors! If you know what I mean.

brian i didnt know i had room for one when i got my first one! now i have 10 or 11... i really dont wanna know lol but anyways to mow that much grass with the 1250 would be nice not only because of the larger deck but its much more comfortable, i ride the metal seat all the time and forget how comfy the paded one is on the 149 lol i have the pad on the metal ones too but theres something to be said for back support! there is a larger operator platform on the later tractors as well, there supposto be quieter too but a lot of us dont agree with that
clappy.gif

Brian, Preference has a lot to do with a decision to buy one over anouther, if you can get one cheap why not.
Yes QL has to do with the side panels it also has more shrouding around the engine for improved coolling. Rubber motor mounts to reduce engine vibration, an electric PTO clutch instead of mechanical.
The 1250 should be a twleve horse, kohler.
I bet ya got some space out back.
happy.gif

Brian, As you may know, the 1250 is a 12hp. hydro. Many people prefer hydros for mowing because they are easy to shift back and forth when mowing around obsticles. Also it should have a 44" deck and you can get Gator and other aftermarket blades for it. And yes it is more confortable and you can adjust your ground speed to whatever you want. It sounds like the price is right and I would think twice before passing it up.

My only experience has been with the 100 and its pan seat with a seat pad from Northern Tool. I use it to ride up and down the road, practical transportation and to tow my trailer around for wood and general trailering stuff. My 100 is very loud currently with a straight pipe equipped with flapper. I have met motorcycles that were quieter. This will be the first season that I will have to sustain some grass so I am sure the muffler will be back on....or I can buy the 1250.

Thanks for the help. I came into this discussion not needing much of a push for the 1250, just some gentle confirmation.

Brian, I'm not an expert but I have been around a while. A gear drive excels in rototilling, moulbored plowing, pulling hard loads over long periods of time.
Hydrostatic tractors would be a good choice for mowing around trees, jobs that require a lot of back and forth. snowblowing is anouther example for the speed adjustment.
There are advantages to a spare tractor to jump on if something goes south on you. remember these things are 30-40 years old.

Well we've been getting hammered with snow in Cambria county, Pa and my snowblower broke on Sunday. The master link got launched into the stratosphere and after looking for awhile I decided to replace the sprockets and chain. Got the machinist at work to make new shafts and ordered sprockets from Motion Industries for $10, and $7. The #40 chain was only $4 per foot but had to buy a 10 foot box. I know someone I can sell the rest of the chain to so that won't be a loss. Just waiting for the parts to come in and the snow to quit now. It's been snowing non-stop since Friday morning here. Gotta love it, Nick

Keith-
So you're just going to leave us with, "I was up in StL Friday picking up a new to me Jeep. ........with 4" lift and 35" tires.......Runs pretty good"

With NO pictures????? You're not the only one around here with a Jeep ya know!
happy.gif

183478.jpg

Brian-

You will love the 1250, no doubt. It will probably need some attention but I haven't found a 30+ year old tractor yet that didn't. Once you get it tightened up and tuned to your liking you'll find yourself using it over the 100 to mow. I use a 1250 with a 44" deck and it cuts and rides great. You'll learn why hydros are prefered by most for mowing too. If it has side panels I would suggest using them. They have their purpose, mainly air flow and less noise. I think they help with the looks as well.

Now that you'll have two, you might find yourself thinking about #3 and #4. You can always find a place for a cub.

Good luck....Wayne

I've been ignoring a hydro leak on my 782 for a year now and it still hasn't gone away, so I guess I'll have to doe something about it.
err.gif
With that in mind, I took off the front blade and mounted the QA42A snow thrower to open a pathway through the 18" - 22" of snow to retrieve my under-utilized 1450 from a snow drift.

183493.jpg

183494.jpg

Once in the garage, I had to do some maintenance first, primarily replacing the worn out iso-mounts. Turns out a PO took some liberties in his attempt to tighten up the engine. He had welded a large washer over the access holes (above the front axle) through the cross member that the front axle mounts to. The intent was to have the front of the engine bolted to the frame instead of the rails.

183495.jpg

When I finally got the bolts out (made more difficult by the beads of weld on the heads of the bolts) I removed the engine and saw that the front rag joint was ready to commit hari-kari at any moment.

183496.jpg

As long it's this far apart, I may as well check out & tighten up the steering box, too. There shouldn't have been water coming out of it when I opened it up, right? Anyway, after got it all cleaned up, I think I'll be able to get by with just a new follower stud and gasket. (Hello, Charlie?)

Anyway, I guess I'll need to get that cross member and the worn engine rails beefed up again before I get this thing put back together. I'm going to use Brian Miller's solid mounts instead of the rubber iso-mounts, so I can compare the vibration to the 1250 I restored last winter for my grandson.

Latest posts

Back