• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 02, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmay

displayname
Dan May
Bill R.
The 4cyl. in your Scout was half of an I.H. V304 eng.I had a Scout pickup with the 4 and have kicked myself ever since for selling it.One of the reasons we quit making Scouts was we had trouble making emission standards with V266,V304,V345 and V392.We did use an AMC 6cyl in the last couple years of production.Now as I think about it I'm not sure if the V392 was ever available in the Scout.Maybe just pickups and Travelalls.

Thanks all for the choke/throttle cable info. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) the throttle is metal bound only but the choke on mine is black sheath rubber over metal and is newer so was a bit unsure which (if either) is correct. Thanks again!

Terry,
I, like you, am not 100% sure but as I recall that sounds correct.

Wyatt had about 20 sets recast about 10 years ago....the gray ones are recast, the others IH.

What's the going price for a 1 quart container of Hytran at the Case/IH dealer in you area?? I thought I heard a guy saying that it's about $15. a quart. Sounds pretty high to me.

bash.gif

Tom I get mine for about 7 bucks from my New Holland Dealer that does alot of IH work, although I do have him pump from their barrel into my 2 gal container.

And to stay on topic it is used in all my IH Hydro cub cadets

Terry D, My throttle is metal and choke black plastic coating also.

Jeff,
I use Hy-Tran or Cub Cadet hrdo oil too. Betcha' it's cheaper to have them pump it into your container because of the 55 gallon bulk pricing.

Interesting info on weights. So... Steve B, Tom H, Kraig - Were the plastic weights pictured avail with IH 82 series and continued with CCC MTD models? Were cast iron 26lb weights ever available with IH 82 series? The copy of factory literature shows MTD model #'s - would those have had the IH center logo even into the MTD produsction? Not life or death questions, just curious.
Now that I see the picture I believe my brother has a set of the 75's on his 1450. If not original to his tractor, I may be able to talk him out of them!
I have (3) sets of cast iron weights, but only had to pay full price for one set - $110 at the national IH collectors auction. Another set happened to be on a $300 105 I purchased and I mowed with it a few years before the engine gave up, so I figured the tractor use paid for wts. I just aquired my third set by trading for a set of 8.50 chains and some craftsman wts. Great deal for me.

Tom,
When we buy HYTRAN we get atleast 55gal @ a time. Now we get it in a 5gal buckets not in a barrel but we get it at the barrel price. If my memory is correct we get it for around 30 or 40 dollars a bucket. Then again we get alot of parts threw IH. So we get a pretty good discount when we get it.

Daniel M.- Correct the 392 was never avail in a Scout. 152 and 196 (1/2 of a 392)both avail 69 -72, then 152 dropped. Nissan diesel came out in 76. Turbo 152 avail for a few years as well.

Bill R. - My Dad had a beater 61 Scout as well w/ a snow plow. It was a great vehicle for plowing because it was so nimble. Dad also had a IH T-5 crawler with a Scout snow blade on it for the deeper drifts, so growing up I never once plowed with a Cub Cadet. When I bought my first house 20yrs ago I bought a 122 w/ a blade and have stuck with them ever since.
My neighbor purchased a 149 last winter and I helped him find a blade. He can't believe how much snow he can move! He says it is faster than his Ford 5000 w/ back blade. He expected the back of CC to move sideways when blasting a drift, but of course it does not!

So trying to prep garage for working on Cubs, which is better, MrHeater or ProTemp propane radiant heaters? Just looking to get the garage warmed up to about 8 or 10 degrees, a little more manageable for working in. Any thoughts? They range from $149.00 to $189.00 each, depending on the sale price. They both have 10 foot hoses, just need to add the 20lb tank.
251618.jpg

251619.jpg

Have to move some snow before I can get the 782 out of hiding. Have a good 18 to 20 inches to blow a path through to get to the shed with it in. Or if this cold weather keeps up, might just break out the Farmall 90 that's plugged in at the barn, keeping warm. Getting soft in my old age, gee whizz.
facepalm.gif

Mike - Depends on whether your garage has a ceiling or not in my opinion. I work construction and the Mr Heater style you picture tends to send all the heat up. It will warm up a space, but if you have open trusses / rafters it will be real toasty up high. I prefer a torpeo style as it directs the heat at you and cub cadets etc... before it goes up. I think I paid $175 for my 30,000 btu propane torpedo 5 or 6 years ago. There are torpedos that are specifically made to be quiter than others, but can't recall the brand.
I am not familiar with the radiant style pictured.

Catching up on some older posts...

Dennis F said on 12/30/12, "The 129 was pretty rough when I got it. It turned into such a time & money pit trying to get it fixed up soured me on buying basket case tractors for good!"

I can definatey see where you are coming from on the "money pit" as I have had and and have a few of those. In addition to $$$'s, there is also lack of time that gets in the way. For reasons I can't explain, I find it interesting that some folks restore their tractors down to the nut and bolt, others restore to the extent their tractors are workers, while others have many many tractors and others have one or two tractors and that's all they want/need. I have to pinch myself when I see an old CC. Sometimes my eyes are larger than my shop, skills to rebuild/repair or my wallet (read money pit). But, having said that, I don't get in a sweat having a broken tractor setting around (though I was going to part with my 1650 a few months back, but my Boys convinced me not to do so). I look at the back log of tractors as chapters in an unread book. Lots of good stuff waiting when I can get to it...
old.gif

Wheel weights - it's good to see that the IH wheel weights weigh 25ish lbs as it would seem to me that they would be easier to handle while the Boys are out and about playing ball in stead of working on my tractors...
rant.gif

Paul W - great pic of the Scout! My first "car" was a 1970 IH Scout 800A. It was a 4 speed (no creeper 1st gear) and had a 196 cu in 4 cylinder.

Craig M - those plastic weights look like the ones you can buy at a box store, but it's interesting that the IH ones for the 82 series are filled with "ferrous iron". I saw a set of plastic weights at Sears over Christmas for sale for about $50ish. I have used these with good luck, but they stick out and I have snagged them on stuff when getting a bit to close...
bash.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

re: wheel weights

Mark Jackson from East Dubuque,Ill still sells recast IH wheel weights. Nice quality.
He has supplied lots of Cub parts places for years.

Good evening,
Im trying to post some pictures hope they come threw.
251639.jpg

251640.jpg

251641.jpg

251642.jpg

251643.jpg

1st tractor I built 2nd the cab a forum member found for me.3rd is it put together and @work.4th is the debris I found in the drive @ a house I just bought @ a sheriff sale. The 5th one is what I dug out.A lawn chair cushion

From what I hear the recast does not have the IH on them.

Chicago weater guessers are calling for 10" of snow in Texas in the next day or so.

Tom,

Just listened to the weather, no mention of snow here in the Dallas area. I would love it if it happened!

Back