Archive through January 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis F, Robert H, Keith L -
You guys were right on about my transmission problem. Once I drove the pin out of the brake lever, the rod fell out and all was good. The wheels turned as they should. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Art: Runnin' the bead shouldn't take long, but having to stop and move the ground clamp for each link........
bash.gif
clappy.gif

Dennis: I think Matt could do it, it's similar to an "air screw" isn't it ?? (must be something an aeronautical guy could work up...)

Don: Let me get this straight(pun intended) - the chains started out with the links all lying flat and in the right direction, and you had to unhook them to untwist them?? --- you got Harry Houdini up there doing magic with those chains???

Matt: Nice spiral (helix?).. I actually do need to weld up the edges on my QA42 auger - they've been bent and straightened so many times that they're like tin foil.. I'll probably cut a strip about an inch wide and weld to the flighting - sounds like it might take an hour or so..(errr maybe three). BTW - looks like someone's cleared a path in that junkyard (you know where)..

Steve B - Am I the only one who doesn't know who BB is? Or is his/her identity a secret?
shhh.gif

Either way, I agree with Art - we should be seeing pictures of the tractor that caused you to sell that beautiful red machine.

Paul R:
You posted "I priced replacement flighting on my QA42a last year ..Don't recall $, I think about $120- $150.I bought a 551 2 stage instead".
For what tractor? I've been trying to find out if that series will work on the older wide frames (I've got a 149 that I'd consider putting a two stage on..) From the Parts Lookup, it seems possible, but the installation manuals don't seem clear...(I was looking at the manual for the 450/451..).

Don the cylinder is 1 3/4" in dia the length is 13" and the stroke is 7or 8" . Have my blade on the 1450 that 54" blade takes power. You wil love it when you get the power angle done. Never will halft to get off the seat again.

Ken i`am serious , start at one ,well the one with the most links laying they whey should ( sharp edges out) .mine it was just the out side chain that hold the cross links had turns in the chain.So i would slide the links together if the were laying correctand when i came to a bad spot. i would pick up the chain from the end and roll over or under depending on which way it needed. Done they fit great (don`t hear links rattling on the drive) must be tight enuf.The 149 is a bear now .
jawdrop.gif

Just had to go out here at10.30 and move snow banks lol. I`am sure they all think i`am crazy around here.

Art you are correct
beerchug.gif
112483.jpg

Jim Larsen (Jlarsen) Thanks , I`am 56 feeling 76 so i know i`ll love power angle. Now to get another pump. I want it strong enuf to be able to help when stuck .lol
thumbsup_old.gif
old.gif

Art, no grinding!!! The bird doo doo makes great bite! They sure did scar cement after it was done.

Any good ides on where to get the seat kits for recovering a 782 seat pan?

Well if ya liked Steve's red one, you'll be droolin on the new one.
wink.gif

Kendell I I bought CC 551 2 stage thrower that was mounted on a 782. They were made for the newer Cyclops tractors...I used a shorter belt wala' --a 2 stage <font color="0000ff">SnowDrift Monster Eater</font> on a 882 Diesel! My 1st CC was a 128 in '73 but I Only had a blade to mount for snow removal...so I can't help U with a 2 Stage/149. Some one out there knows>>><<<<.

ART - If I reemmber right there's five 220V outlets in the shop, & 100A service, couple of each different type of plug too......BRING 3-4 of Your Welding Buddies & Their MIG's along and I'll tend bar with the cold beer!
beer2.gif
beerchug.gif

Seriously, I'd never thought of welding up the worn links.... I'm going to call the welding supply shop Monday and see if someone makes .032" dia. hardfacing wire and how much $$$$$$ per 10# spool. Maybe get som TIG wire too so I can interest SON in helping too.

Rear tires on the Super H are in really good shape...don't want to burn them up so I'd want to take the chains off....so that makes this a Spring-time project.

DON - Looks like You need an extension on the top of Your blade now...
thumbsup_old.gif

MATT - Now I've got more educational reading to do.... Thanks for the link!

My New Year's resolution is to get this previous 147 parts tractor restored to running condition. I'm planning to rebuild the engine. It was my wife's grandfather's tractor and hasn't run for at least 20 years. I bought it from my brother-in-law for the QA-42 snowblower that was mounted on it. Needs a new wiring harness, rebuilt S/G, yada, yada. Odd thing about this one is that it has a manual lift arm mechanism with it (although it isn't mounted in the picture). I always thought the 147s came standard with the electric lift. Could be Grandpa replaced the electric lift with a manual. Wish me luck!. I'll need it to finish this project by the end of the year.
112488.jpg

Tom H.

I just want this tractor to be quieter than with the stock muffler. I had to do some mods to a factory noise supression muffler ( found a few NOS ones cheap at a swap). I cannot wait to try it. I have to pull it out again and add just a tad more clearance around the grill area. It was tight, but it will hopefully quiet it up a bit.

Tom
112492.jpg

112493.jpg

TOM P. - That 100's looking WAY too nice to use. I'll be interested to hear if Your changes make the K241 quieter. I've pretty well got making them LOUDER all figured out.

BRUCE - Many yrs ago, '80 or so when I first started looking for a CC I went to an auction that had a 147 and another CC, can't remember the number. In a box of spare parts there were TWO busted elec. lifts for the 147. I image a few of them got converted to manual lifts.

WANTED!

I'm looking for some "real" photos of this seat.

112497.jpg

112498.jpg

This seat was shown as a factory-option in the Cub Cadet Parts and Accessories catalogs of the early 60's.

I have one here that is missing the original vinyl. I'd like to have it recovered, but these pictures won't help much, so I'm hoping to find some "real" pictures to see what it should look like.

Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Tom P. - Great looking 100 there. When you gonna' get some dirt on it?
biggrin.gif

I have checked the tire pressure in all the tires and the plow still doesnt sit level with the ground. Is it possible that the piece between the plow and the subframe might be tweeked? Would it be possible to tweek it back if it is? I do have another one but wanted some ideas before I swapped the parts out. Thanks ahead

Latest posts

Back