• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 21, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michele:
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm not sure what the tractor model is, but your two stage blower is for later models (one of which is the Cub Cadet 2135) than the 1960-1983 that we cover on this part of the forum. If your tractor is also a newer MTD built Cub, you'll find the experts in
CCC and MTD Machines & Equipment area..

My bad on the spelling. The factory gaskets don't work as well with gas and oil?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Sorry, Wilbur:
185755.jpg

Against your advice, I'm having fun taking this perfectly good engine apart! Also found another good excuse -- METRIC.
smile.gif

Rob F.-

It's not that the OEM gaskets aren't oil resistant, but that you can only use them once. Neoprene can be used over and over again, as it doesn't stick to the casting and then tear into 25,000 little shreds when you remove the cover plate or other part.

ROB F. - re: Neoprene gaskets. Most "RUBBER" gaskets are made from Nitrile rubber, also known as Buna-N, material. Which is fine for most petro-chemical fluid seals & gaskets. However like most things, better materials are available. Such as neoprene, Viton, silicon, and then you add all those together with Teflon coated variations and it gets confusing what works where real fast.

The gasket application where neoprene is substituted in CC's is between the hydrostatic motor/pump assembly and the IH CC cast iron rearend in hydro tractors. The OEM gasket is CORK. Cork IMHO is a TERRIBLE gasket material for ANY application. It's organic for one, made from cork tree bark! It's brittle, takes a set, once compressed, it stays compressed, and after many heating/cooling cycles gets saturated with oil and cracks causing leaks.

An internet search on "Gasket materials" should eventually lead to an application chart showing which material resists what fluid best.
Sheet gasket material should be readily available at most good auto parts stores. Also Motion Industries should have sheet stock available, as well as McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc. I haven't checked but pretty good chance Summit & Jeg's has it too.

There's no real pressure to speak of in any area of a CC, except if it has on-board hyd. lift. OEM gaskets are fine in all applications except for the one cork gasket I mentioned.

On the front PTO Clutch, I call them anti-rattle clips. I have seen a posting here before on them. Tried to search it, but could not find.
Anyway. Left mine out after a rebuilt,and hear a bad knock. That I understand can be lack of that clip. How do they go in, don't remember. And can it be done with out pulling the clutch?
On a 128
Thanks , Gary

Frank - You drove 646 miles to pick up a 20+ year old lawnmower that does not run. I would not
mention that to many people beyond this site,they might think you're a little
screwloose.gif

You must have a severe case of the fever
lol.gif

Charlie and everyone,
Thanks for the input from all you guys, especially Charlie, who went the extra mile to give the IH specs on all the info. Yes, it is "my tractor" and I get to make the final decision.
draw.gif

As for the "correct police" I would like to see them restore/refurbish an older cub and try to buy only cub cadet parts! In the parts manuals that I look at, there are a lot of NLA's under the part description. Just try and call a cub cadet dealer and tell them you only want original parts. They will laugh you out of the store! I ordered a battery hold down for a 128, which is not that old, and guess what I got?
A bunjie strap!
jawdrop.gif

As for the original parts, if I find out I can get a aftermarket part that works and looks just like the original for less than half the price or more, I will buy it. The cost to fix up a cub is bad enough. My 128 refurbish job cost me right at $2000. And I didn't even go into the motor or tranny! I did my best to do a top notch job, because if i'm gonna do a job i'm gonna do it right.
I am not knocking anyone at all on their views or opinion, cause we all have different ones, but again, I SURE DO APPRECIATE all you guys for the input. And I like the funnin' too! Life would be dull if we couldn't pick at one another in fun.
thumbsup.gif

Marty G,
Sorry, i meant to say the dash tower. I call it the panel, because of how my 124 has all the controls, and Amp gauge clustered together. Plus the style of the dash changed through the years.

Well i fixed the wheels. I noticed how the Cub wheels are different from others. Besides, the old tires look better, and make my 124 look more original. The newer tires came off a Bolens, so thats probally why they came loose, (dont fit properly). The Goodyear Power Ribs i have on now, are the originals, and they look good! I still have to figure out some stuff, like why my charging system does not work. The Motor Generator does need brushes, but the hit enough to put out at least somethin. Is this a bad regulator, or is the regulator out of adjustment? Thanks.
ihrotate.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif

There's talk of getting 12"+ of snow tonight. I don't know if I should be sawing Yahoo or Bohoo. Likin' the seat time but I'm tired of winter.

Gary; go to the FAQ page on top and go to charlie's FAQ to #7 that will help you.

Tim D. Look up top in the FAQs, the second(Charlies)FAQs. Check items 47 and 47a. Let us know what you find. If you do a 'Search' on 'regulators' you'll get info on them too.

Alright. Now you guys are making more sense to me on the gaskets.
thumbsup_old.gif
I'll have to do some seaching on the gasket material.

Rod Knock. I'm going to stick my neck out, here, and say yes, when starting and possibly at a slow idle. Otherwise, it seems to me that centrifugal force should keep the toothed clutch thingy (CRS) against the pulley basket.
1a_scratchhead.gif

FWIW the toothed thingy is the clutch disk - but Parts Lookup won't tell you that.
beerchug.gif

Gary I heard an exhaust leak sound exactly like a rod knock. Engines will do the wierdest stuff. I would call it more of a rattle.

It is not as bad at higher RPMs. But can be loud and annoying. We took the engine out again after the 1st. hour of run. looked at the bottom, everything looked good. Ran it though the summer it remained the same. I haven't ran it since mowing season ended. Just now getting to it for next season. I heard somewhere about the lack of clips can make a simular noise as a rod knock. I'm thinking it may have be in a past RED Power mag.
Pulled the hood and grill last night, and see the clips got missed some how.
Gary

Latest posts

Back