• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 21, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbounds

displayname
MBounds
Marty G: Like Charlie said..it's yours..b u t the "Correct Police" may put you under the jail for such heresy!
lol.gif

Myron B

Interesting thread on "what's correct"...When you think about it, the original owners of the equipment modified their tractors to meet operational needs almost the day the tractors came from the factory. If this was non-OEM, after market equipment, we look at it and say "oh-that was an available accessory", but if it was owner modified to meet operational needs, its gotta go, even though it's been in place 30 years or more, provided a needed service and worked just fine.... How many M, H and other full size tractors are still running that look exactly the way they came from the factory?? Personally, I think of owner mods as part of the personality of the equipment (but then I like "rat bikes", too)..
coffee.gif

Kendell Ide
I`am with you on that. I wonder how many people get put off when the correct police crap on them for not useing oem parts and accsesores. Any Cub Cadet that can be saved from the junk yard is good stuff I think. later Don

Marty and others,
Remember that the guage, and lights, and some other items were accessories, and sold over the parts counter. They came with an instruction sheet that had a "recommended" installation location, but were installed by the owner or a dealer, and probably in a location to suit the owner rather than per the drawing supplied by IH. The same for the light switch, somehow I cannot see a dealers mechanic with a ruler and pencil in hand measuring a exact location to drill a hole, after all, there was open space behind the dash, close was good. It was just a little tractor bought to mow the lawn or plow the garden, or what ever, and no one was worried about a bunch of people with "yellow" fever rebuilding one of them 30, 40, 50 years later and making it factory new again........no one even thought it would still be around 30, 40, or 50 years later. You know how your's is mounted, you have the info on how IH said it should be mounted, and it is your tractor, so the balls in your court. There is a nice article by Tim Delooza in the Winter 2010 issue of Cadet Connection Magazine that fits right in with this thread, and includes this wording of a "Correct Police sign" that I display with my tractors at a show........

Attention "Correct Police"
Copyright © 2003, Paul R. Bell

I am not interested in your comments on what is wrong with my tractors, with the key words being "my tractors".
I know what is, and what is not correct on them, and it's possible I may know more about Cub Cadets than you do. I do not claim that they are restored, but they have been refurbished, and are, the way I want them. Feel free to look at them all you want but keep your "correctness comments" to your self.

Thank You and y'all have a nice day.

DONALD, KENDELL - I'm not current with my dues to the Correct Police Retirement Society, so probably not a good one to comment, but I'm ALL about operator convenience, safety, and long term durability.

I'm sure Myron is kidding, I think He remembers the last time the add-on amp gauge mounting location was discussed. It got somewhat umpleasant.

My Buddy went to the Nat'l Farm Machinery show/tractor pull in LVL a week ago. He said the most common display was Guidance systems for ag equipment. ANYONE else considered putting a GPS system on their CC? I over-lap quite a bit when I mow, I think with a GPS guidance system I could reduce my mowing time from 4-1/2 to 5 hrs with the 72 and 2-1/2 to 3 hrs with the 982. Not sure how much time I could knock off but some I'm sure! If only they didn't require that stupid ugly grey dome antenna which would probably have to be mounted on the hood! Some of the better systems can pin-point your location within one to two inches!

Let me make it clear that I was not calling out Myron or Paul or anyone else that makes a great effort to restore a Cub to factory release condition; it was just a comment on the state of "correct" as it applies at my house...Since I'm a hot rodder ("pipe rack style") at heart, the only thing at our house in unmodified condition is me - and I'm falling apart.....
clappy.gif

KENDELL - Could You explain/describe this comment? "Since I'm a hot rodder ("pipe rack style") at heart" I'm not familiar with that..... Maybe I'm not old enough.
old.gif

Granted the CC line didn't have anywhere near the available options as the FARMALL line did, People said We could have built tractors for 4-5 years without ever duplicating a prior tractor exactly, but for the most part "Customization" sometimes started even before the tractor left the dealer! We've debated "FACTORY Options" over at RPM dozens of times.

I'm glad there's "Factory Original" equip. available for show. It just doesn't seem to Me to be as useful and fun to perform useful tasks with. My enjoyment of a hobby comes from USING the stuff. A skid-steer & ZTR mower would do everything I need to do around here but what would the fun be in THAT!?

I agree with Dennis its nice to look at the tractors but,the fun is to actually go out and work them.

Charlie and all others on the "chargeing /amp guage" debate. I agree with Charlie on the location of the guage, but.....even IH got it wrong in my book. That location sux! You are constantly hitting with you leg or something else for that matter.

Dennis:
I picked that phrase up when I was a kid reading the "little magazines" (Rod and Custom, Car Craft....) It meant to me a way of building that incorporated just what was needed to make a car go - no fins, skirts, dummy spots. A classic deuce highboy in black primer (327 4 speed w/dual quads) would be a perfect example, but no billet gas caps, please..

My 129 has no billet on it..

Kendall, Dennis... I wuz just making a joke and poking a bit of fun!!

Myron B

In the last year I've tore 4 tractors down to bare frames. 3 had extra holes or unknown brackets welded on and cut off. the one "good" frame needed cracks welded up. I think it's what makes a true survivor so special. It's also why I don't think you can put that tractor in the same class as a working one. different animals, different rules.
My only pet peave with original equipment has to do with the rototiller. Yes there were a bunch made and used as the factory intended. I've always thought they should have incorporated a mule drive that used a shaft to rear of the tractor. Not correct, not trying to be.
But I don't think to "fix it" I'd weld anything or even drill holes on the tractor or rototiller. Just thinking out loud.

Hello everyone, this is my first post thou I've been a member for a while. Here is my problem, Iwas adjusting the carb on my 1250 when she backfired and blew the plug out of the hole. Has anyone tried using a heli-coil on a spark plug with any success? I need to get her running, got up to 7" coming tomorrow. All of you have answered my questions without me asking in the past and gave me some good preventive things to do also. Thanks in advance. Chris

Christoher R: They do work IF you follow the Helicoil instructions <u>exactly</u>. No "short cuts" or modifications....

Myron B

I've used one on my son's 12 horse Kohler -as Myron sez, follow the directions..I used one that was specifically for a spark plug hole, it came with some thread lock in a tube - it all worked fine..

Hi everyone.. New to this site and need some help on a snow blower I bought for my cub cadet. Not sure if all the parts are on it or even if it will fit. My cub cadet it Model #1486601001811 and blower is #190-303-100. Does anyone know if they are compatible. Does anyone have a pic of this blower so I can see if I have all the pulleys?? Thought there was a diagram of the pulleys but have not been able to find it now.
Thanks for any help I can get.

MYRON - I understood Your lauging Smiley face!

KENDELL - Ah-HAHhhh. I see....I kinda picked up on the phrase "Pipe Rack" that maybe something tube-framed, "Buggy-sprung" and not much else required. HRM used to kinda be like that in the early '60's also. It was O-K in the early days of "Little John Buttera", but then faded. About the early 1980's when they started featuring articles on Moline Engine Service I gave up hope! Me and several people I knew tried to do business there many times and always left frustrated and with a bad taste in our mouth.
Really sad when I look at a car magazine now what most people are trying to do.

DAVE - I tried to find some way to make a LIVE rear PTO on a CC running off the frt PTO but the way IH made it work on the SGT's was WAY better than anything else I could come up with. However they did kinda screw-up on the 154 LoBoys, THAT was a real mess!
And speaking of "resurrecting CC's", I still have about two DOZEN holes to weld shut on the frame of the CC 70. Son did all the holes in the hood a year or two ago.

TOM H. - One of IH's Better Ideas was recessing the key switch and eliminating the push-button starter on the 72/1X4/1X5's.

We have had excellent weather this weekend. It's getting in the lower 60s today so the paint shop was opened once again.

185752.jpg

I figure at this rate I'll have that 149 finished in less than two years.

Later . . . .

Back