• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 14, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danderson

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Doug Anderson
Getting pounded here in NE Ohio with snow and wind. The 1250 will get a workout in the morning. About 6" right now. Lake Erie is frozen but we're getting lake effect off of Lake Huron.

Jack M - the page turned so I hope the guys see all your questions on the correct color of the parts for your "Original". Only one I can say for sure is the Starter/Generator should be yellar'. They weren't black until the wide frame 1x8/9 series (unless they were replacements). I don't think you'll ever know on the IH cast iron wheel weights. Seems like the early ones was yellar' then went to white, then yellar then white. It's like opening a can of paint, err I mean worms. As long as you use the correct IH CC colors I wouldn't worry on the weights. Just don't know about the other items since I've seen them both colors as you have.

Harry... IH wheel weights under discussion were originally found only on the Farmall Cub tractors as front wheel weights and were white. Later the IH Cub Cadet folks found out they would fit the Cub Cadet rear wheels and adopted them. Thus the original color from Louisville was white. I've never seen "yellar" ones from IH. But, dealers may have painted some - who knows.

MBounds

Jack, Hydro Harry already addressed the starter generators, I agree they should be yellow unless they are a replacement. From about a decade and a half of observing brochures, photos of tractors and attachments and actual tractors and attachments here's my best guess on colors. I believe the very early, say the first few months of production at best had white mower deck spindle guards and mule drive cover plates. After that they would have been yellow. The 26 lb wheel weights were originally made as front wheel weights for the Farmall Cub and would have been painted red. After the Cub Cadet was introduced and the weights were sold for use on them I believe they became available new painted yellow. I believe they did not show up painted white until the introduction of the 1x6/7 series. I base this on photos in a few different brochures. All the brochures prior to the 1x6/7 series depict the wheel weights as yellow and in the 1x6/7 series brochures and after they are depicted as white. I believe all the seats on Originals were white. I have never seen one painted any other color. Not saying they have not been painted another color, just that I have not seen one. Initially the voltage regulator was mounted on the front of the battery box. Those that are mounted elsewhere I believe were moved there by the owners. However, I could be wrong about this. Perhaps Craig C. or Paul Bell, two people whom I highly respect for their knowledge about the IH Original and all things Cub Cadet. I have seen them mounted on the right hand side of the pedestal as well. Not sure about the 13 tooth gear, though there have been other ratio gears available for the Cub transmission over the years. You will likely see both white and yellow headlights on them as well. The headlights were used on other IH products over the years, most notably a few different combines and they were white when used on them. Being an option, the IH Dealer might have combine lights in stock that could have been sold for use on an Original. I believe yellow to be correct, however, white could pass as being original too, see my above statement regarding their other applications on IH products. <FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

Myron,
wave.gif
ya snuck in while I was typing.
happy.gif
And you're right about some of the Farmall Cub front weights being white, however I believe it was the later versions when the Farmall Cub themselves were yellow and white instead of the earlier Red versions. Regarding yellow wheel weights:

294289.jpg

The above is from the 1x2/3 series brochure. Note the yellow in the area of the rear wheel around the tire chains.

294290.jpg

294291.jpg

The above two photos are from a 1x4/5 series brochure.

I probably shouldn't post these photos from Updike's book "Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet" but they are 1950's vintage photos of Farmall Cubs. Note the front wheel weights, they appear to be Farmall Red.

294293.jpg

294294.jpg

And last for now, a photo from a 1970 Calendar from the 1x6/7 series Cub Cadets.

294296.jpg

Jack, I believe the coil would have originally been painted yellow.

Jack, for your and others viewing pleasure, here are three photos from around 1963 of a then nearly brand new Cub Cadet Original. This Original was purchase in the late 1990's or early 2000's from the original owner's daughter by the late Bryan McMeen who was the long time moderator and administrator of this Forum. Bryan and Dan Hoefler refurbished the Original and it is the one in the photo at the top of the Forum Page. BTW, the original mower deck, not shown, and the dozer blade, shown in the photos, that were originally purchased with this Original are both in my possession.
happy.gif

294299.jpg

294300.jpg

294301.jpg

That's cool,and a good reference for restorers.
wonder why they only used 3 lug nuts on the wheels?

Kraig
Thanks for the great Pix
Now another ? from Jack,.
Is the plow an "O" only attachment?
Did all "O"s come with the rear reflectors?

Lewis, I forget why the only three lug bolts, I recall a previous discussion on it. When Bryan bought it it still only had the 3 in each.

294303.jpg

294304.jpg

Jack, yes, if the tractor had fenders it should have had the reflectors. However, the fenders themselves were options.

Kraig
Do you have a good close up of a reflector and it's mounting?
I assume I'll have to pay through the nose for a set of them?

Jack, in your earlier post regarding the "plow" did you mean the dozer blade? If so, then yes, that particular model of dozer blade is for the Original only. It is a non-spring trip blade and can be kind of dangerous to use due to the non-trip. If you were to hit a crack in a sidewalk or a stubborn piece of ice you could easily launch over the hood.
icon_eek.gif
The later version dozer blade for the Original had the spring trip feature.

just hitting the sack here and I hope to have some snow thrower pictures or a video by noon . If we get what they are saying it should be knee deep by noon and not stop till later Monday. I helped a friend take a loader off a green machine last night and install a snow blower on the front. he just bought a used 450 hrs 4400 JD for 21000 with a hoe .Said he will sell it to me come summer lol. gona be a commotion in my shed next winter lol.

The Oval reflectors are still available as aftermarket reproductions:
However, this source will dry up soon as the China-made red reflector piece is no longer being produced.
(It was being produce for Schwinn bike restorations with a different style metal backer)

I received a call just last Friday asking if I could finish a long idled project.

Several years back at the urging of Fran S. (he is the mastermind behind the aftermarket ones sold by some of the parts vendors) I began building a mold to reproduce these Stateside.
Anyway, I lost my job as a Mold Maker @ about 80% completion and it was never finished. (I'm sure there are some pictures in the archives somewhere)
I still have the mold, but I'm out of the trade.

Stalemate.
bash.gif

Latest posts

Back